Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,096 times

Advertisements

I am a 23-year-old gay, single young professional. I would really like to move to Madison for a job that I want, but I am worried that my dating odds are going to be low since I would be gay in a mid-sized city like Madison. I like Madison, but that's just one major concern that I have before deciding to move here. I am from Grand Rapids, where the LGBT dating scene is virtually inactive. Are the LGBT nightlife and dating scene strong? How progressive is Madison? I would expect the city to be conservative considering that Wisconsin is GOP-run. Also, please don't suggest Milwaukee. That city does not have enough jobs within my field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Madison is right where you want to be. It is very progressive.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
The city isn't conservative, I don't know why you would expect that, most conservative states have places of sanity that are progressive (usually they're the educated areas with strong economies). That said, it isn't as progressive as many like to portray it to be. It is no SF, or Portland, etc. It is liberal for the upper Midwest, however.

It's not the same scene since the Hotel Washington disappeared, but there are still gay bars and clubs, and loads of gay singles.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:25 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
It's definitely not the capital of the Bible belt... Wisconsin (in general - and Madison much more so) can be conservative on fiscal policies, but much more liberal on social issues than many other states.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathansparks516 View Post
I am a 23-year-old gay, single young professional. I would really like to move to Madison for a job that I want, but I am worried that my dating odds are going to be low since I would be gay in a mid-sized city like Madison. I like Madison, but that's just one major concern that I have before deciding to move here. I am from Grand Rapids, where the LGBT dating scene is virtually inactive. Are the LGBT nightlife and dating scene strong? How progressive is Madison? I would expect the city to be conservative considering that Wisconsin is GOP-run. Also, please don't suggest Milwaukee. That city does not have enough jobs within my field.
I suggest you do more research since it will be in your favor. You will really like Madison.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:02 PM

512 posts, read 474,528 times
Despite Madison's progressive reputation, it's a mid-sized city (although that is changing quickly) and its gay culture is subpar compared to Midwestern cities like Milwaukee, Chicago, and the Twin Cities, mostly because those cities are much bigger metros (hence more variety and diversity). Since you're looking for a "strong gay nightlife and dating scene", Milwaukee fits your criteria, but don't rely on my advice alone because I'm not a gay guy. My assertion is purely based on observations and experiences since I've had years of experience with Madison.

In short, Madison is most definitely a gay-friendly city, but it lacks the "gay vibrancy" that Milwaukee has. Otherwise, I hope this minor problem alone doesn't deter you from moving to Madison. It has the best quality of life and economy in Wisconsin. My wife and I recently moved here and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison