Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 780 times

Advertisements

Madison and area is a wonderful place to live. You may want to explore suburbs with 4 dogs. Paoli, Oregon, McFarland, Dane, Lodi, Cambridge. We are big on dog parks. In Madison the Hilldale area has housing option. You can get to UW Hospital from all these locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 PM

166 posts, read 192,204 times
Madison is fairly small. I'd suggest to stay not far from university avenue. It is super easy to drive up University ave compared to other cities. No where in Madison is really dangerous like bigger cities. South Park street in Madison is really the only place to avoid at night time. Several nice suburbs, I like Fitchburg and it is just a hop skip away from Madison.You can find a rental fairly reasonable. Also I have to give Madison an A on snow removal they are up early plowing the roads. Even the sidewalks they have these small little plows they ride to clean off the side walks. I'd suggest getting a place with a covered parking area because cleaning off your car of snow all during the winter can be a task. Don't worry about driving in the snow you will learn. Good luck and enjoy Madison!

Old 04-08-2018, 11:53 AM

6 posts, read 7,404 times
What about the Emerson East area??

Old 04-08-2018, 06:32 PM

512 posts, read 474,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM1977 View Post
Can you tell me the areas to avoid?
In the past (and sometimes presently), a lot of people would have suggested that you avoid Allied Drive, but that area has undergone a tremendous transformation over the past decade. Historically, it has been the hub for affordable housing, but it's been gentrified and they have built several single-family units. They are now building a grocery store in the neighborhood.

Otherwise Madison is too small of a city to have any "truly bad neighborhoods."

Old 04-09-2018, 07:13 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
What about the Emerson East area??

Meh, I don't think much of it. Just pretty bleh.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,258,586 times
Quote:
Thanks again. Where I live in Houston taxes are insane, I paid 12k in property taxes last year, so that actually sounds way better.
12K taxes in houston?? That’s a new one. You must have lived in a 10k sq ft mansion there to warrant such high property taxes. Houston is nowhere near Dallas for RE taxes, at least not my own famiy and friends who still live there.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:43 AM

6 posts, read 7,404 times
What about the East Emerson area?

Old 04-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
What about the East Emerson area?
It's somewhat dumpy. I'd avoid.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:14 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,027,874 times
OP, i would suggest, if at all possible, a visit prior to heading up. To get a good feel in person of some of the locations you are considering. As there are areas and neighborhoods in the Madison area that do have rising crime and at minimum you can check and see for yourself what you think.
Madison is a small city and easy enough to cross so some crime can travel. But if you monitor the local news channel sites (WKOW, Nbc15, Channel3000) you can somewhat follow the main hotspots of activities.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
OP, i would suggest, if at all possible, a visit prior to heading up. To get a good feel in person of some of the locations you are considering. As there are areas and neighborhoods in the Madison area that do have rising crime and at minimum you can check and see for yourself what you think.
Madison is a small city and easy enough to cross so some crime can travel. But if you monitor the local news channel sites (WKOW, Nbc15, Channel3000) you can somewhat follow the main hotspots of activities.
Sure, there is some crime in Madison. But compared to Houston, it is bucolic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison