Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,989,113 times

Advertisements

I will add this, if were right next to the lake in Milwaukee, East Side down to BayView west to about 16th st. In this area it's common to get rain when the rest of the state has snow so much so that you could be out in Brookfield getting snow and along the lake is rain. When this is most pronounced is when we have had a hot summer and warmer fall, so then come winter the lake will heat up the air around it creating a sometime 30 degree difference from downtown Milwaukee to say Madison or Wisconsin Dells. More common though it's just a 20 degree difference. Living right next to the lake has it's advantages and disadvantages such as lake effect snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM

37 posts, read 63,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I will add this, if were right next to the lake in Milwaukee, East Side down to BayView west to about 16th st. In this area it's common to get rain when the rest of the state has snow so much so that you could be out in Brookfield getting snow and along the lake is rain. When this is most pronounced is when we have had a hot summer and warmer fall, so then come winter the lake will heat up the air around it creating a sometime 30 degree difference from downtown Milwaukee to say Madison or Wisconsin Dells. More common though it's just a 20 degree difference. Living right next to the lake has it's advantages and disadvantages such as lake effect snow.
Thank you for the information! Do these areas get more snow than ice or vice versa on average? Here, we end up usually with more icy winters than snow. Every winter a little different, but overall, we don't get much snow.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,669,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1178 View Post
I was born and raised in NWA. Lived here my whole life except a few yrs in FL about 10 yrs ago. How long ago did you move from AR? I feel like it is growing way too fast and has been for the last few years.

Other places we've looked into in the past were due to my husband possibly getting relocated for work. This time, it's us choosing where we'd like to end up, have a small garden, some land for our future grand kids to run around on. And it feels like WI might fit the bill.
Many of Wisconsin's cities are compact and urban.
Houses with small footprints and small yards. Even in the older neighborhoods, though, the streets might actually be wider than a lot of places in Arkansas.
A lot of these areas are pleasant with trees and sidewalks. Neighborly.
There are also the typical large houses on large lots.
For land, you might have to go out a good ways depending on your budget.
Wisconsin doesn't have any areas growing at the rate of NWA, but most are doing pretty good.

Coming from the south, Wisconsin is definitely different.
Mostly in good ways. To like it, you may have to keep an open mind and give it a little time. There are southern transplants, but they are few in number.

As for those Arkansas ice storms, I don't remember encountering anything like that in Wisconsin, but I wouldn't doubt they get them once in a while. If they do, you can bet they handle it differently and it's not the crippling issue that it is in Arkansas.
Definitely more snow than anything, but they clear it off quick enough and you're on your way.
Good tires and all-wheel-drive or 4wd will come in handy from time to time, but the extra wheel power isn't an absolute necessity especially if you live in a city. If you're in a rural area, I'd strongly recommend it.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Many of Wisconsin's cities are compact and urban.
Houses with small footprints and small yards. Even in the older neighborhoods, though, the streets might actually be wider than a lot of places in Arkansas.
A lot of these areas are pleasant with trees and sidewalks. Neighborly.
There are also the typical large houses on large lots.
For land, you might have to go out a good ways depending on your budget.
Wisconsin doesn't have any areas growing at the rate of NWA, but most are doing pretty good.

Coming from the south, Wisconsin is definitely different.
Mostly in good ways. To like it, you may have to keep an open mind and give it a little time. There are southern transplants, but they are few in number.

As for those Arkansas ice storms, I don't remember encountering anything like that in Wisconsin, but I wouldn't doubt they get them once in a while. If they do, you can bet they handle it differently and it's not the crippling issue that it is in Arkansas.
Definitely more snow than anything, but they clear it off quick enough and you're on your way.
Good tires and all-wheel-drive or 4wd will come in handy from time to time, but the extra wheel power isn't an absolute necessity especially if you live in a city. If you're in a rural area, I'd strongly recommend it.
This is good info- thank you so much!!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:41 PM

Wisconsin Temperature Map - Air Sports Net

Look at today, perfect example.

90 and sunny in Janesville 70 along the lake with fog. I came home from Brookfield and it was 80 and sunny to 70 and foggy and damp.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Wisconsin Temperature Map - Air Sports Net

Look at today, perfect example.

90 and sunny in Janesville 70 along the lake with fog. I came home from Brookfield and it was 80 and sunny to 70 and foggy and damp.
Interesting... I figured the lake would have some impact in the weather differences, but didn't think it would be that much. I knew further North would be a different story, but wasn't thinking the Southern portion would be.

When does the cooler weather (or snow) really begin setting in? (on average) If I'm planning a trip in October, but then for some reason it ends up being November, will the weather cooperate with me?

Old 09-21-2018, 06:55 PM

I have seen variances up to 30 degrees difference before for instance a few years ago it was 90 in Wisconsin Dells and 60 in Manitowoc. Normally you will see these extremes coming into winter/fall and out of winter and into spring where the lake is still one temp and a heat or cold snap comes into play but to have a 20 degree difference between Milwaukee and Madison is not uncommon.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 PM

170 posts, read 173,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz1178 View Post
Interesting... I figured the lake would have some impact in the weather differences, but didn't think it would be that much. I knew further North would be a different story, but wasn't thinking the Southern portion would be.

When does the cooler weather (or snow) really begin setting in? (on average) If I'm planning a trip in October, but then for some reason it ends up being November, will the weather cooperate with me?

Average Annual High By City:

Milwaukee - 55.5 F
Brookfield - 55.7 F

Milwaukee is 2 degrees warmer (32 F vs 30 F) on average in the Winter.
Brookfield is 1 degree warmer (55 F vs 56 F) on average in the Spring.
Brookfield is 2 degrees warmer (80 F vs 78 F) on average in the Summer.
Brookfield is 0 degrees warmer (59 F vs 59 F) on average in the Fall.

Monthly Climate Data By City:

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswi0455

https://www.usclimatedata.com/climat...tates/uswi1001

Old 09-22-2018, 02:22 PM

7,971 posts, read 10,539,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post

3. A lot of people have the Wisconsin accent & it's not pleasant.
Who says, hey? I was just up there a few weeks ago scouting around and noticed the accent. I thought it was kind of charming. But then, I thought the Southern accent was charming when we moved down here 20 years ago, and now it can often get on my nerves.

Oh well, I guess we all have some sort of accent, whether we realize it or not. You Betcha!

Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Who says, hey? I was just up there a few weeks ago scouting around and noticed the accent. I thought it was kind of charming. But then, I thought the Southern accent was charming when we moved down here 20 years ago, and now it can often get on my nerves.

Oh well, I guess we all have some sort of accent, whether we realize it or not. You Betcha!
Hahaha... I know I have an accent. Although, sometimes I can hide it to a certain extent cause it's not overly "southern and soft". My husband would love hearing it though as he sometimes talks like that when he's joking around.

On a side note, I'll be paying much more attention to the weather up north this winter to see how it compares to my internal measure of "I think I can handle that".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison