Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 10:31 AM

6 posts, read 69,250 times

Advertisements

Hi

I will be moving to Madison,WI form Bangalore,INDIA this september. I got a job offer in Epic Systems in Verona Area. I need to rent an apartment and since my wife is coming along with me on a dependent Visa, she won't be able to work and has to stay at home the whole day while am at office. Hence I am looking for apartments in neighborhoods where there are considerably more Indian families. As she will feel more comfortable around Indian communities during initial days. Could anybody please suggest neighborhoods with good number of Indian families anywhere between Madison and Verona. I am not particular about being close to office as such. I just need a safe area on west side.

Thanks,
Naveen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,879 times
Hi, and welcome to the Madison forum! I hope you and your wife will find this a good place to live; from all I've heard Epic is a wonderful employer, so you should be very happy there.

As to your question about Indian neighborhoods or communities in the city, the truth is that Madison just isn't really big enough to have little enclaves the way Milwaukee or Chicago or Minneapolis do. Folks tend to spread out, so it's hard to find a specific area of the city that is predominantly Indian, or predominantly Irish or Polish or Jewish or any other group that has historically tended to develop its own community within a larger community.

What I can do for you, though, is to point you in the direction of another thread that someone started just about exactly a year ago now, where at least some of your questions were answered. //www.city-data.com/forum/madis...formation.html In that case, the OP was looking more toward the east side of Madison, but one of the respondents suggested a west-side area where he felt there might be a slightly higher concentration of Indian residents. And there are some links to some local resources that you might find helpful as well.

As to finding a neighborhood where your wife could find friends, might I ask whether or not she is a licensed driver, and whether she'll have the use of a vehicle? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you'll probably want to try to find a place at least somewhat close to a bus route, so she can more easily get around the city. Since there isn't really an Indian neighborhood as such, you want to be sure that she can get herself to wherever she needs to be to connect with friends, buy groceries and such. You can look up routes and maps on the city's website, here: Metro Transit - City of Madison, Wisconsin.

By all means, as you come up with more questions, and particularly if you are curious about specific neighborhoods or parts of town, please come back and share them - we'll do our best to answer. Safe travels, and best of luck in Madison!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
I know that there is quite a few Indian families near Tree Lane and North High Point Road. I also have a few Indian neighbors at my complex off Greenway Blvd. Congratulations on your job at Epic!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Hi, and welcome to the Madison forum! I hope you and your wife will find this a good place to live; from all I've heard Epic is a wonderful employer, so you should be very happy there.

As to your question about Indian neighborhoods or communities in the city, the truth is that Madison just isn't really big enough to have little enclaves the way Milwaukee or Chicago or Minneapolis do. Folks tend to spread out, so it's hard to find a specific area of the city that is predominantly Indian, or predominantly Irish or Polish or Jewish or any other group that has historically tended to develop its own community within a larger community.

What I can do for you, though, is to point you in the direction of another thread that someone started just about exactly a year ago now, where at least some of your questions were answered. //www.city-data.com/forum/madis...formation.html In that case, the OP was looking more toward the east side of Madison, but one of the respondents suggested a west-side area where he felt there might be a slightly higher concentration of Indian residents. And there are some links to some local resources that you might find helpful as well.

As to finding a neighborhood where your wife could find friends, might I ask whether or not she is a licensed driver, and whether she'll have the use of a vehicle? If the answer to either of those questions is no, then you'll probably want to try to find a place at least somewhat close to a bus route, so she can more easily get around the city. Since there isn't really an Indian neighborhood as such, you want to be sure that she can get herself to wherever she needs to be to connect with friends, buy groceries and such. You can look up routes and maps on the city's website, here: Metro Transit - City of Madison, Wisconsin.

By all means, as you come up with more questions, and particularly if you are curious about specific neighborhoods or parts of town, please come back and share them - we'll do our best to answer. Safe travels, and best of luck in Madison!
Thanks for your warm welcome and also very detailed response Yes i do know that there are not many Indians in Madison as in Chicago or Silicon Valley or Seattle or any other bigger cities. But I thought it will be better for my wife to spend alone time if she can befriend some of Indian housewives. Also she is not very comfortable with driving but she will be taking driving lessons once we reach and she will be getting a car too. So that should not be a problem.

Also I wanted to know about car parking. Most of the apartments I look up online have car parking but not covered ones. I am planning to buy/lease a BMW and I am not very convinced to park my car outside that too during winters. Are there apartments with covered car park?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I know that there is quite a few Indian families near Tree Lane and North High Point Road. I also have a few Indian neighbors at my complex off Greenway Blvd. Congratulations on your job at Epic!
Hi Josh,

Could you please tell me the name of your apartment complex? Are there any availability now?

Thanks for your wishes

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM

9 posts, read 47,726 times
Greenbriar apartments and the apartment communities nearby have lot of Indians. In fact most of the tenants in Greenbriar are Indians. Lot of Indian families reside in apartment complexes/town homes/houses close to Epic too. Stonecreek Shadowcreek apartment is one of them. However if you want most of your neighbors to be Indians then Greenbriar it is. Congratulations on your new job and good luck with your move !!!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 AM

9 posts, read 47,726 times
Most apartment communities that I know if have covered parking for at least one car. Indian community in Madison has a website madindians.com that you might want to check out.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edifiz View Post
Greenbriar apartments and the apartment communities nearby have lot of Indians. In fact most of the tenants in Greenbriar are Indians. Lot of Indian families reside in apartment complexes/town homes/houses close to Epic too. Stonecreek Shadowcreek apartment is one of them. However if you want most of your neighbors to be Indians then Greenbriar it is. Congratulations on your new job and good luck with your move !!!
Thanks a lot for your wishes I think I will check out greenbriar apartments. Staying close to Epic is good but will be far away from madison and I see that verona is not so densely populated, hence less places to hang out, dine, and shop. So I will be comfortable staying close to madison even if it means driving a little more to work. And I love driving This is another excuse for me to drive more

Old 07-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edifiz View Post
Most apartment communities that I know if have covered parking for at least one car. Indian community in Madison has a website madindians.com that you might want to check out.
Oh. I dint know that. Many (but not all) apartment complexes I checked out online had mentioned parking will be off road. So I was worried

And thanks a ton for the website link. I think it will be very useful for me in lot of ways.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,606,205 times
I live at Deer Creek Apartments on Greenway Blvd. I don't know if I can post the phone number as it may be a violation of terms of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison