Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2018, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 7,508 times

Advertisements

Hello Madison Area Folks,

I'm originally from Milwaukee and went to UW-Madison for undergraduate work. I've been in San Diego for 20 years now and have an opportunity to move back to Madison for a job opportunity near the airport (East Side of Madison. We have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. While Middleton seems nice, I'd like to keep my commute to 20 minutes or less and I'd like to make sure we are in a good school district.

Looking at most recent test scores (I know that is not the biggest factor in choosing a school), it looks like Waunakee, Sun Prarie, Deforest/Windsor and McFarland are all in the same range and kids would get a great education in any of these areas. I'm interested in hearing more about the cultural aspects of the school in terms of parent participation, diversity (socio economic and ethnicity), extras (clubs/sports), and how friendly the neighborhoods/schools are.

We are lucky to come from an area that is socioeconomically diverse and ethnically diverse (white kids are actually the minority at our schools) and has good schools with high parent participation (our schools have a PTO and a foundation to help fund extras for the kids) . Due to the socioeconomic diversity, there is very little "entitlement" in the schools we are currently in and are interested in maintaining as much diversity as possible for our kids.

It also appears taxes and housing prices are higher in Waunakee for what you get in the other areas. Is this true?

I'm hoping to find something similar in the Madison area. I know the schools on the east side of Madison, will be more diverse, but the test scores are less appealing so I've eliminated living in Madison proper.

Please comment on the "feel" for living in these areas and their schools as well as if I'm eliminating an area I should be considering.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 08:47 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
I think if you want diversity and you have eliminated Madison (no reason to rule it out IMO, there are plenty of good schools), Sun Prairie would have somewhat more diversity than the other options. Waunakee would have the least.

As you probably know, WI school in general are pretty good. You almost have to search out the bad ones since the majority are good. Personally I would look for a house in any of the communities and see which area I like the most considering other factors and make a decision that way since they all have good schools.

Good luck.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:43 AM

512 posts, read 473,606 times
Sun Prairie and Fitchburg are the more diverse suburbs in the area. Fitchburg shares a school district with Verona, and VASD has a pretty high Latino population and a good number of African American students at certain schools. Middleton is demographically changing. Waunkee, DeForest, and McFarland are well over 90% white, so I wouldn't count on those suburbs as beacons of diversity. I think you should also be aware that Wisconsin schools have some of the worst racial disparities in the nation. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2018, 02:31 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,858,543 times
Sun Prairie, Monona Grove, or a Madison Dual Language Immersion school. I agree with the above. Almost all schools in Wisconsin are really good, especially in the Madison as well as further out in the more suburban or rural areas.

Last edited by everwinter; 12-22-2018 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like we really can’t go wrong as far as schools are concerned. Is there any area in particular that’s better for stay at home dads? Any areas more friendly and welcoming? We are more concerned about developing new ties and friendships than we are about the weather. I keep telling my husband that people from Wisconsin are super friendly and shouldn’t worry, but if there’s an area that is more friendly than the other that would be a consideration too.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:45 PM

Also, I haven’t ruled out Madison—I think the better schools are in the west side though and my commute to the airport area might get long if we lived on west side?

Old 12-26-2018, 07:06 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,130,934 times
You could also look at Monona...Monona Grove schools are pretty good as well.

I think in Madison proper you would have the most neighborly experience. The suburbs are just that, people are more insulated in general bc of the lifestyle. Not that people are rude or distant in any of the mention places. However I would also say Wisconsin doesn't have a lot of rude people….but friendly isn't the word I would use to describe people. Just very civil and nice and not easy to make friends like in other places with more transient populations.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:19 PM

111 posts, read 74,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl45 View Post
Hello Madison Area Folks,

I'm originally from Milwaukee and went to UW-Madison for undergraduate work. I've been in San Diego for 20 years now and have an opportunity to move back to Madison for a job opportunity near the airport (East Side of Madison. We have a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. While Middleton seems nice, I'd like to keep my commute to 20 minutes or less and I'd like to make sure we are in a good school district.

Looking at most recent test scores (I know that is not the biggest factor in choosing a school), it looks like Waunakee, Sun Prarie, Deforest/Windsor and McFarland are all in the same range and kids would get a great education in any of these areas. I'm interested in hearing more about the cultural aspects of the school in terms of parent participation, diversity (socio economic and ethnicity), extras (clubs/sports), and how friendly the neighborhoods/schools are.

We are lucky to come from an area that is socioeconomically diverse and ethnically diverse (white kids are actually the minority at our schools) and has good schools with high parent participation (our schools have a PTO and a foundation to help fund extras for the kids) . Due to the socioeconomic diversity, there is very little "entitlement" in the schools we are currently in and are interested in maintaining as much diversity as possible for our kids.

It also appears taxes and housing prices are higher in Waunakee for what you get in the other areas. Is this true?

I'm hoping to find something similar in the Madison area. I know the schools on the east side of Madison, will be more diverse, but the test scores are less appealing so I've eliminated living in Madison proper.

Please comment on the "feel" for living in these areas and their schools as well as if I'm eliminating an area I should be considering.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and Happy Holidays!
Forget the diversity nonsense. You aren’t in California anymore. Find a good neighborhood and live happy knowing you just moved your kids away from a state who’s school system has been in freefall for 30 years.

Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
I suspect the op has made their choice. The original post is a year old!

Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM

51 posts, read 72,334 times
Neither; Madison. The suburbs are boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison