Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2020, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 16,289 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving to join UW-Madison as faculty in the summer and I am looking for a neighborhood to rent a house in the first year. I am moving with two kids who will attend 3rd grade and kindergarten. Here is the catch: I am moving from California and have never lived in snowy weather. Also, my husband is not moving the first year due to his job situation. So I want to find a place that is not too far from the university. I want to ensure that the time I spend on the road in the mornings is not more than 30 minutes (including the detour to drop off kids to school) and that the drive in the winters (especially when snowing) is not too painful. I also want to find an apartment with a garage, so I don’t have to worry about scraping my car in the mornings. Basically, I want to minimize winter weather inconveniences in the absence of my husband and with two young kids. I also would like to live in a more family-friendly neighborhood so it is easy for kids and me to make friends (i.e., I want to avoid neighborhoods that maybe more university-student population heavy). And if it helps in any ways, we are Asian Indian family and are looking for good schools with diverse/international population. Here are my specific questions:

Near-east neighborhoods:

1. If I live on the near east side, how painful will crossing the isthmus in winters (snow) be?

2. I am considering Isthmus Montessori school for my kids (1802 Pankratz St.). Which areas in that neighborhood are good for families to rent in? How would you describe good? What amenities and things-to-do for kids are there in those recommended areas?

3. My research indicates that areas around Willy St., Tenney park, and Lindbergh St. are nice. Are those areas too heavy on the university-student population? Are those areas too painful in winter due to their location on isthmus close to the lakes? I would love to know if you have any other comments about those areas.

4. Any other near-east areas I should consider that I have not yet?

Near-west neighborhoods:

5. In the near-west side, I am considering Shorewoods elementary school (1105 Shorewood Blvd). It is slightly west of UW hospital. What positives or negatives would you highlight about that neighborhood?

6. Any other near west areas I should consider that I have not yet?

Middleton:

7. In Middleton, my top choice for the school would be Sunset ridge (I can be convinced otherwise if you can share reviews of other schools!), but it seems to be a little farther away from the university than I would like. I am wondering if there are other recommendations I should look into that would help me consider Middleton despite the distance.

8. Please also let me know if I should consider other schools in Middleton and why. One reason among others why I like Sunset ridge is it seems a little more diverse than say Northside elementary.

Thank you in advance for helping me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 10:44 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
5. Shorewood Hills is great neighborhood (technically it is its own village). It feels secluded since its heavily wooded and there are no sidewalks, yet it's within walking/biking distance to UW, Hilldale, Lake Mendota, etc. Shorewood Hills Elementary is probably the highest ranking school in MMSD in terms of test scores, and it is very diverse. However, most international students at Shorewood Hills Elementary actually come from Eagle Heights, which is university housing for graduate students and older students with families at the north edge of the village. I don't believe the area of Shorewood Hills with single-family homes is as diverse; your immediate neighbors will likely be doctors or professors that work at UW. Though, I'd still seriously consider the area, it's once of the nicest areas in Madison if you can afford it.

Good luck with your search.

Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your reply, Drewjdeg.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:11 AM

25 posts, read 120,363 times
7. Middleton is opening a brand new elementary school (Pope Farms) in the fall. Because of this, they had to update the districts neighborhood boundary lines. Check the district website to make sure your targeted neighborhood will attend the school you are looking to attend. Middleton also begins middle school in 5th grade, so if you plan to stay in Middleton make sure that elementary school funnels into the middle school you prefer, as one is in Cross Plains and the other in Middleton near the high school. Sunset Ridge may not have the type of diversity you seek. The majority of the students of color, are actually children of highly educated families (doctors, professors, engineers, etc...). Not the same type diversity you find in MMSD.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:01 PM

Such a piece of great information about Pope Farms elementary. Thank you BOItoMSN!

Old 02-20-2020, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 6,796 times
Just to give a little perspective, I live on the east side, but work on the west. Total distance is 7.8 miles. It took me an hour to get to work today.

Your best bet would be to live on the same side of the downtown as you work.

Granted it's not always take me that long, but most of the time it's over 30 minutes. Winter definitely adds to the time, as well as Badger games, summer road construction, etc.

Take a look at Fitchburg, Verona areas as well, those areas may have decent commutes as well as less student heavy populations.

Good luck!

Old 03-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Thank you renoir2. This information on travel time is super helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison