Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 09:29 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on here for a while, continuing to do my research. Tonight I came across one of those World According to Briggs videos. It was the Top States to Start Over. No, I'm not a sold on Briggs fan but I found this one useful.

The top states were Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Virginia, Missouri, Oklahoma, Indiana, Minnesota, and New Hampshire. He based the list on affordability and opportunity. Sure, we all have our opinions and agree or disagree.

I've narrowed it down to Madison or Cleveland as my top cities. Maybe I'll try out Madison since it's brand new to me. Will be back to check in with all of you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 07:59 PM

47 posts, read 126,411 times

Hello!

I've lived in Madison for over 30 years, and I'm still here, so I thought I'd chime in. The main negative about living here is the winters. It is cold, grey, and snowy/icy for far too long, in my opinion. In fact, I very seriously considered moving to the Southwest when I retired, for the warmth, dry air and sunshine. Sadly, due to climate change, I have had to rethink that idea. I'm not interested in living in areas that are prone to drought, intense heat, wildfires, and mudslides. I decided I'd rather deal with winter! Unlike parts of the west, we are set up for summer heat (most homes have A/C) and our grid is definitely prepared for the cold weather heating season. Remember what happened in TX last winter?

Yes, Madison is a town very much influenced by the university and state government, and I see that as a good thing. There are also museums, concert venues, art fairs, one of the best farmer's markets in the country, an excellent public library system, a lot of parks, and of course the lakes. Definitely not a "cow town".

Since I retired just as COVID hit, opportunities to get out and do things have been somewhat limited. That said, I've participated in two monthly virtual book clubs through the library system, attended virtual lectures through the UW's PLATO group, went on hikes with a Meetup group, played pickleball, kayaked, SUP'd, biked, and worked at the Cross Fit Games which are held here annually, to name a few things. Once COVID is under control I'd like to volunteer with the school system as a tutor. There are many volunteer opportunities here.

As for employment, Madison has always had one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country. I'm not sure what type of career you are interested in pursuing so I can't speak specifically to that. At any rate, if you have any other questions, please ask!

Old 08-21-2021, 09:46 PM

564 posts, read 1,041,612 times
This last week I've had some interactions with the Madison Area Technical College (to inquire about ESL teaching positions). I've also submitted a few applications for administrative/office positions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I contacted Teachers On Call, a division of the Kelly Staffing group to ask about substituting in the schools there, and a temporary staffing agency also. Every person I emailed/called returned my email/call. You can't know how surprised I was because people here in North Carolina could care less about returning emails and calls. I have found the people of Madison the most helpful and professional, something I haven't experienced since I lived in Cleveland.

Dezert Mtnz, I'm looking for many of the type of activities you have mentioned - Meetup groups, the library,, along with art, symphony concerts and museums.

I have a dilemma on how to proceed, so Dezert Mtnz, I'd like to message you, but for anyone else here that has some input on something. Ideally, I'd like to come up and visit in person before I make a move since I've never been there, and of course if I do move I'd like to do it by the fall so I don't encounter a difficult drive up due to weather.

It's about a 14 hour drive. Flying is the most logical way to get there, but I'm a little uneasy about that during these COVID times. I'm fully vaccinated but guess I need to be tested and then there are other expenses - having to put my dog in a kennel while I'm away and renting a car in Madison. To drive would be less costly but I do have an older car, and I'd bring my dog along too. I'd have to make that awful drive through West Virginia going and coming twice - to visit and to make the move if all goes well.

I'm only working part-time online right now, so cutting costs as much as possible is important. I don't have any offers in Madison at this point, only connections. I'm definitely in need of a change and more opportunities, which I don't have here but feel good about coming my way in Madison. Is it better to just make the drive once, and stay at an extended stay hotel for maybe a month to scope things out and then later fly down to NC to pick up boxes at the storage unit?

Any thoughts? Dezert Mtnz, maybe I can also message you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison