Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:40 PM

63 posts, read 78,146 times

Advertisements

Obviously, one would think Chinatown in Chicago as closest comparison but doesn't have to be that big. Is there places such as asian shopping centers, food courts with many different asian cuisines, asian market with hot food section such as chinese bbq, or streets with many asian oriented type restaurants and stores (like a little asiatown).

Thanks for your help!

Also, any Chinese bakeries or places I can get a baked bbq pork bun?

Madison looks like a nice city and downtown looks surrounded by water so we might visit during summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 08:45 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
In Wisconsin????

Here in the Milwaukee area, our closest thing to Chinatown is a block of restaurants near Highway 100 and National Avenue.

I only live in Milwaukee because I have kids here. But eventually I'm going to move to Chicagoland. I was just in their Chinatown on Saturday.

To put it in perspective, the State of Wisconsin has probably 5 Korean restaurants that I know of. In Chicago, you can find about 50!

Old 03-25-2021, 09:15 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Madison is around 9% Asian, so the population is small but still significant for being the Midwest. A lot of that is due to UW-Madison and local tech companies. There is also a Hmong community.

There is one Asian bakery I know of in Madison and one Asian food court. There are many Asian grocery stores and restaurants of different types.

Food court: https://www.globalmarketfoodhall.com/
Bakery: https://www.yelp.com/biz/asian-sweet-bakery-madison

Madison is beautiful in the summer, I highly recommend it.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
In Wisconsin????

Here in the Milwaukee area, our closest thing to Chinatown is a block of restaurants near Highway 100 and National Avenue.

I only live in Milwaukee because I have kids here. But eventually I'm going to move to Chicagoland. I was just in their Chinatown on Saturday.

To put it in perspective, the State of Wisconsin has probably 5 Korean restaurants that I know of. In Chicago, you can find about 50!
Madison has at least 4 Korean restaurants, so I think you are undercounting lol.

Old 03-25-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Madison is around 9% Asian, so the population is small but still significant for being the Midwest. A lot of that is due to UW-Madison and local tech companies. There is also a Hmong community.

There is one Asian bakery I know of in Madison and one Asian food court. There are many Asian grocery stores and restaurants of different types.

Food court: https://www.globalmarketfoodhall.com/
Bakery: https://www.yelp.com/biz/asian-sweet-bakery-madison

Madison is beautiful in the summer, I highly recommend it.
Wow, 9 percent of the whole city is actually very large IMO

Old 03-25-2021, 10:21 PM

Would you happen to know of a place where there's duck, chicken, and bbq pork hanging and they chop it for you and put it on top of rice usually with cabbage?

Old 03-25-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Asian View Post
Would you happen to know of a place where there's duck, chicken, and bbq pork hanging and they chop it for you and put it on top of rice usually with cabbage?
There is a gas station on the border of Madison and Middleton that has roast duck.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/garden-asian-market-middleton

I would bet there are other places as well, like actual restaurants, but I don't know specifics unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:19 AM

Drewjdeg, thank you for getting me up to date!

You know, I pretty much gave up on exploring Wisconsin several years ago. I took Illinois as my adopted State.

I completely agree with you that U.W.-Madison has a recognizable Asian population.

I would say in the years 1995 to 2005, the State of Wisconsin at that time had Korean restaurants in Milwaukee ( 1or 2), Madison ( 1 or 2) and 1 in Appleton. So there really were 5 in the entire State. My Tae Kwon Do group used to take a road trip to Appleton (a 2 hour drive from Milwaukee) just to have a "Korean" experience. The restaurant is, in fact, called Koreana.

So WHOA that was 16 years ago now that I think about it. But STILL, Drewjdeg, I would say if one took a count of all the Korean restaurants in the State of Wisconsin in 2021 it is NOT going to be a big number. Heck, we STILL only have 2 in Milwaukee, for example!

Take a drive in the northern Chicago suburbs into the neighborhood of Chicago that once used to be huge with Korean establishments (their section of Lawrence Avenue is still called "Seoul Drive") and I guarantee there will be more than our State of Wisconsin.

In Milwaukee, there is a presence of Hmong in our older sections of both the north and south sides. Additionally, they are found in most main cities in Wisconsin (Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Green Bay, Wausau, Appleton). The first time I even knew what Hmong was, was about 1990 when I attended the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. I would shoot pool with them and ask them to teach me phrases in Hmong. I am, after all, a lover of cultures and languages.

As is said in Korean: an nyong hi kye se yo (stay in peace).

Old 03-26-2021, 06:53 AM

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any dim sum places open for dine in at the moment unless you all know of one. I did a search and they are currently carry out

Old 03-26-2021, 08:54 AM

Louisville Asian,

Refresh my memory. Are you specifically addressing the city of Madison? Or the Madison area (Dane County?)

Or are you open to visiting ANY area in Wisconsin with an Asian presence? Do you prefer it to be Chinese vs. Korean vs. Japanese vs ????

Are you willing/planning TO go to Chicagoland, as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison