Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM

10 posts, read 26,626 times

Advertisements

Wow, thanks for the good info...and also great to hear prices are starting to come down...so a question...if the Madison preferences for living tend toward the west over the east, what about Monona? Is it the exception to the rule?

I seem to keep going back to that area because if I can afford something there, it seems like a smart area to buy in as well as a very pleasant place to live.

Another quandry...I know the winters are cold and damp in Madison...even seemingly colder there than when I lived in Baraboo years ago...but is it even worse being on the eastern sides of the lake(s) with the prevailing winds coming from the west?

And one last question: I do home repairs and remodeling...small to large projects, mostly bathroom or kitchen remodels and charge $50/hr for most all of my work. For large projects I'll take 10% off the labor when necessary...
Are these wages on par with Madison remodelers?

thanks --this is very helpful

Patrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM

18 posts, read 129,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patiofurn View Post
Wow, thanks for the good info...and also great to hear prices are starting to come down...so a question...if the Madison preferences for living tend toward the west over the east, what about Monona? Is it the exception to the rule?

I seem to keep going back to that area because if I can afford something there, it seems like a smart area to buy in as well as a very pleasant place to live.
I think Monona is a little different because it's a city in its own right. Maple Bluff is East - but it's Maple Bluff - a Town

Quote:
Another quandry...I know the winters are cold and damp in Madison...even seemingly colder there than when I lived in Baraboo years ago...but is it even worse being on the eastern sides of the lake(s) with the prevailing winds coming from the west?
I'd say yes, if you're outside in it. The wind whips off open areas and snow banks up where its driven. brrr.....(this is why we're off to Oz - aka Australia )

Quote:
And one last question: I do home repairs and remodeling...small to large projects, mostly bathroom or kitchen remodels and charge $50/hr for most all of my work. For large projects I'll take 10% off the labor when necessary...
Are these wages on par with Madison remodelers?

thanks --this is very helpful

Patrick
I think you're in the right ballpark - but don't follow those thing very closely - and I'm always facing sticker shock when I call for repairs/remodel

HTH

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
The lakes freeze over early...leaving the east side as dry and cold as the rest of the area. You really think there is a difference between Baraboo and Madison in the winter????

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,398,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by off2oz View Post
nother town to consider Oregon. Good schools in Oregon. Growing town.

If you want Madison proper, there are smaller homes in great areas for the kind of money you're looking to pay. Also condos in the downtown area would be very nice.
Ummm... I don't mean to be rude, but condos downtown are way out of the 150-170K range. I've never seen one for less than 250K and they are usually around 350+++.

Really, you'd be hard pressed to find a home in that range in a decent neighborhood in Madison.

I have a friend who just dropped the price of her two flat house to 170K because she moved out of state without selling it and is now desperate to move the thing. It is a rental property in a transitional area (just north of Milwaukee Street, sandwiched between Atwood neighborhood and the S. Fair Oaks area). Not a "hot" area, but decent. It could probably go for more if she wasn't so "motivated" to sell the thing. I think that is the very least you are going to pay for a decent house in relatively decent, though certainly not upscale, neighborhood.

I think you are going to find the same thing in Monona. I just did a search on wisconsinhomes.com and came up with two properties. One didn't have pictures (always a bad sign) and the other one was a tiny, although cute house. They claim it is 1080 sq feet, but it certainly didn't look that big. Here is the mls for that one: 1511619

I just read the description for the one without pictures:
This house is set up for access for an Amigo wheel chair. Needs fixing up and has mold in the house that needs to be removed. Sold "As is". Excellent location. Good for someone looking for an independent home needing a little fixing up.

Last edited by Megan1967; 05-13-2008 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-23-2008, 01:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,420 times
Depending on how much money you make, the inclusionary zoning law in Madison has made many condo developments more affordable. Take a look at:About the City of Madison Inclusionary Zoning (IZ) Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison