Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2021, 06:07 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,303,740 times

Advertisements

Empidonax, YOU are awesome! So let's celebrate this good life with John.

A wine at Groppis would be so nice.

In this moment I'm in Highwood, Illinois: an awesome Italian neighborhood. And I sure had a Cabernet..... or 2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 07:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,799,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It has to do with the ridiculously grain heavy diet combined with the over the top bar/alcohol culture which is also very heavy on beers (malted barley). Things started going downhill immediately after modern wheat (semi-dwarf high yield with higher gluten content) became the norm in the food supply after the mid 1980's, the exponential growth curve in obesity aligns directly from that point onward. Obesity and overweight percentages combined went from 14% in 1984 to 70% in 2020. Very very sad disaster in this country...
It is the bar culture and that fact that there is a true lack of healthy places to eat in a lot of the state, which is a little surprising considering the fact that we grow so much fresh produce here. A lot of small towns only have fast food, bar food, or supper clubs, which typically service pretty heavy and fried food. Can't say Wisconsin is unique in that regard, but it would be awesome if we started to see more healthy options.

It is doubtful though considering the two hottest new food items in the state are the Culvers "curd burger" and the Kwik Trip fried chicken sandwich lol.

Old 11-01-2021, 04:05 AM

7,330 posts, read 5,218,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It has to do with the ridiculously grain heavy diet combined with the over the top bar/alcohol culture which is also very heavy on beers (malted barley). Things started going downhill immediately after modern wheat (semi-dwarf high yield with higher gluten content) became the norm in the food supply after the mid 1980's, the exponential growth curve in obesity aligns directly from that point onward. Obesity and overweight percentages combined went from 14% in 1984 to 70% in 2020. Very very sad disaster in this country...
A slight adjustment of the facts-- Yes, Borlaug's Green Revolution does date to 1970, but more importantly, that's when the Nixon Administration decided, in order to secure "the farm vote" decided to start direct payments to famers. At the same time, the USDA came up with their "food pyramid" which emphasized grains. (Scientifcally, that pyramid is upside down.)

WI, demographically, is well over 50% people who trace their ancestry back to northern Europe-- People who Caesar would have called "Galls" or "Germans."...When Caesar first took his legions across '
the Alps to deal with the Galls who were crossing into Roman territory, he found it necessary to give his Legions a Knute Rockne type pep talk. It seems his guys, averaging aout 5'5" in stature, were petrified to facing the Germans, averaging 6' tall.

Cheeseheads are still facing that genetic disadvantage in controling weight. I'm average height & weight, but since moving here, I feel like a midget. My wife (a movie star at age 25) is now 180 lb at age 65, but the neighbors call her Twiggy.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:25 AM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
It is the bar culture and that fact that there is a true lack of healthy places to eat in a lot of the state, which is a little surprising considering the fact that we grow so much fresh produce here. A lot of small towns only have fast food, bar food, or supper clubs, which typically service pretty heavy and fried food. Can't say Wisconsin is unique in that regard, but it would be awesome if we started to see more healthy options.

It is doubtful though considering the two hottest new food items in the state are the Culvers "curd burger" and the Kwik Trip fried chicken sandwich lol.
I heard about the "curd burger" as it appeared on my Madison area news feed in the last week or two.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:32 AM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A slight adjustment of the facts-- Yes, Borlaug's Green Revolution does date to 1970, but more importantly, that's when the Nixon Administration decided, in order to secure "the farm vote" decided to start direct payments to famers. At the same time, the USDA came up with their "food pyramid" which emphasized grains. (Scientifcally, that pyramid is upside down.)

WI, demographically, is well over 50% people who trace their ancestry back to northern Europe-- People who Caesar would have called "Galls" or "Germans."...When Caesar first took his legions across '
the Alps to deal with the Galls who were crossing into Roman territory, he found it necessary to give his Legions a Knute Rockne type pep talk. It seems his guys, averaging aout 5'5" in stature, were petrified to facing the Germans, averaging 6' tall.

Cheeseheads are still facing that genetic disadvantage in controling weight. I'm average height & weight, but since moving here, I feel like a midget. My wife (a movie star at age 25) is now 180 lb at age 65, but the neighbors call her Twiggy.
One could argue the types of foods Wisconsinites consume are the same now as 40-50 years ago. The issue is the makeup of the food has indeed changed (high yield semi-dwarf high gluten content wheat- with greater appetite stimulating characteristics), but there are also a lower percentage of jobs of the total that are very physically demanding with a high level of calories burned off throughout the day compared to many decades ago.

This states that the original idea for a food pyramid was developed in Sweden in the 1970's. The original food pyramid first came out in the US in the early 1990's, after modern wheat had already gotten a strong foothold in the food supply in the US for over 6-7 years.

Who Invented the Food Pyramid?

In the 1990's you also had the introduction of high fructose corn syrup and soybean oils and related additives into the food supply that didn't help matters at all.

I've learned to scan every single label of ingredients on things I buy- within five seconds and know what I'm dealing with.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 11-01-2021 at 06:49 AM..

Old 11-01-2021, 12:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,424,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Anyone that uses the term "dime piece" should never be allowed to be in a company of a female.
Anyone that uses the term "dime piece" should be loitering in front of a downtown Chicago Woolworth's in 1937, ogling the gams on the passing dames.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:12 PM

2,671 posts, read 3,874,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Anyone that uses the term "dime piece" should be loitering in front of a downtown Chicago Woolworth's in 1937, ogling the gams on the passing dames.
Shouting "Hey Toots" at the good ones!

Old 11-01-2021, 03:00 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,602,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Shouting "Hey Toots" at the good ones!
He's probably tried that.

Old 11-01-2021, 06:27 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,948,898 times
OP's observation is pure nuts. Took note of the ladies in the local grocery store today. Many attractive women!

Old 11-02-2021, 09:19 AM

4,665 posts, read 3,303,740 times
Good morning,

I do not deny that certain medications impact a person's weight. Stress can impact a person's weight. Unhealthy eating and drinking impact a person's weight. Metabolism impacts a person's weight... But really, I believe it comes down to one's CHOICES.

My ex-wife was a nice and healthy curvy woman when we met in college. She lost a lot of weight to "look good" for our wedding / wedding pictures, I think. Because I was in Tae Kwon Do, she trained in Tae Kwon Do, and made it to the 2nd Degree Black belt, and was in great shape.

We had 3 children. We divorced. She remarried and had another child and re-divorced. Now, she has become obese to the point where she recently had a double knee replacement.

Having lived on a spectrum of weight/health-style levels, we see the results of her CHOICES.

So, my advice: Do your best to make POSITIVE choices, everyone. For your physical health as well as your mental health.

I am rooting for you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison