Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 07:46 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am planning on moving to Madison at the end of the Fall semester, either late in December or early in January. I am currently an adjunct English/Humanities/Speech instructor here in New York City. As a UW student (and graduate), I lived in Madison for about six years back in the eighties. I returned twice in the nineties to take continuing education courses at UW in drama/theatre in education, since I am also a literary and performing artist (theatre director/educator, writer, performance poet, singer, etc.). The last time I was in Madison, on a much-needed vacation in June, to enjoy the city and to explore the possibility of moving back to Madison, I loved it. Being a Black woman, I did sense a little bit of racial tension but nothing in comparison to the problems we have here in New York City. Most of the people I met and have kept in touch with in Madison are, like me, very friendly, open-minded, socially aware, and very interested in the arts.

Here are some of my questions:

1) What would it be like for me moving to Madison in the winter? I am no stranger to cold weather or snow, having lived in Madison, WI; Champaign-Urbana, IL; Syracuse, NY; and Hamilton, NY. Will I have any problems finding an apartment? I would be willing to rent a sublet if it came to that. Are there apartments with short-term leases? Any tips?

2) The last time I was in Madison, I fell in love with the Willy Street area. I met some kindred spirits there. The cafes, restaurants, and shops there felt like home to me. Are there many apartments in that area (i.e. on the east side) that I could afford on an instructor or community educator's salary? ($30,000 to $40,000 starting) What about public transportation? Will I need a car?

3) I want to continue my work as an educator and community arts organizer in Madison. I am applying for positions at MATC, UW's Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (poetry/spoken word in the schools), and the Vera Court Neighborhood Center (college prep coordinator). Are there any other work places I should consider? Are there any friendly cafes or bars where I could possibly organize and host a regular open mic or lounge for local poets, musicians, and performing artists--and people who enjoy the arts? I understand that there is a need for entertainment for adults who are in our 30s and on up. (I am a youthful 46.)

4) After reading my post, can you think of anything else I might need to consider before I make my big move? I am very sure I want to move back to back to Madison, and have considered my pros and cons, but I want to have my eyes as well as my heart wide open.

Thank you so much for any tips you can offer, or any insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Wow, folks, nineteen readers and not one reply? Ouch. Hmmm... Maybe that is my reply. I am on my own for a while with this one. Thank God I have maintained some contacts in Madison, but I was hoping for more information from this forum. Oh well... You live and you learn.

Peace to you all anyway. We will likely be neighbors one day.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,106 times
Great-just remember Madtown is a boomtown-I lived there 10yrs 70-80"s and just visited ist time since and litterally would not have known where I was!
Got to be the most expensive city of its size in Midwest.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times
I was one of the viewers who didn't reply. I didn't have answers to any of your questions, but welcome.

Btw, just curious, but why did you highlight some of the words in your post red?

Old 08-16-2008, 07:45 PM

361 posts, read 1,947,308 times
I don't have specific answers to your questions either, unfortunately, but you might want to consider that WI ranks 43rd in the nation in terms of levels of funding for the arts. Here is a relevant article that appeared in the Isthmus

Isthmus | The Daily Page - Arts in Wisconsin, by the numbers

and here's the link to the WI Arts Board which might be helpful (again, I don't know much about it):

Wisconsin Arts Board, a state arts agency

Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
I am applying for positions at MATC, UW's Office of Multicultural Arts Initiatives (poetry/spoken word in the schools), and the Vera Court Neighborhood Center (college prep coordinator). Are there any other work places I should consider?
Here are some other higher ed institutions nearby that might have instructional opportunities for you.

Edgewood College
University of Wisconsin - Rock County
Home - University of Wisconsin - Baraboo/Sauk County. The Best Start For The Life You Want. Yes You Can.
University of Wisconsin-Richland: Richland associate degree programs, collaborative bachelors degree, associate degree in general studies on campus

Old 08-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Hey folks, thanks a lot. Every little bit of information is a big, big help. You have no idea, unless you've had to plan a big move at any point in your lives. As for the highlighting, I have no idea why the post came out that way. It's a mystery to me too.

Blessings...

Old 08-18-2008, 03:13 PM

286 posts, read 1,150,932 times
Indi9, welcome back to Madison. You sound just like the sort of person whom, taken all together, make this such an interesting and fun place.

On your point 1, housing. Take a look through Craigslist for apartments and subleases. There is always something coming up. Right now the rental market is overbuilt, so there is always something available. However, the landlords in this town have a fixation on the 12 month lease. I am guessing they have been scorched in the past by the 9 month student population. But subleasing or a roomate situation should help to get you established until you can find your perfect place.

Willy street hasn't changed much, still has the bohemian feel to it. Willy street is a part of what makes Madison great. Be aware that the city is undergoing some major planning for development of East Washington corridor for the first 10 blocks or so from the capitol. Business, shops, apartments and condos, parking, a central park, Madison commuter rail or light rail. It will bustle more than it does now and that will impact Willy street. One central feature is to limit construction height so not to obstruct the skyline view of the capitol. Development will not happen overnight of course, it's more like a 20 or 30 year plan.

Here are a couple of shots from Willy street

Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
As for the highlighting, I have no idea why the post came out that way. It's a mystery to me too.
I fixed the post for you and got rid of the highlighting. Why it was added is a mystery to me, too.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Hey gallon. Thanks so much for your kind words and the information/update. Best to stay up on these things, even if they are in the future. I can't imagine the hustle and the bustle being as bad as New York City's. I'm looking for a more laid-back lifestyle, with just enough of a vibrant cultural life to stay happy and alive as an artist and community arts organizer.

So interesting that you posted for me a pic of Jamerica. This was one of the restaurants I enjoyed most, running neck in neck with Frida. The food was fabulous, as was the service and the music (real hospitality). This was right before enjoying a show at the Broome Street Theatre. An evening to remember. God, I love Madison. I wonder if you guys know how lucky you are.

And, hey Bowie, thanks for fixing my post. Awesome.

I am really starting to dig this forum. Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison