Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 28,382 times

Advertisements

I agree. Racine is one brilliant urban planner away from becoming a jewel. As a Sconnie, you get little hints. Like their farmers markets, and the awesome little rural spaces and one-street towns around it that people don't seem to notice. The gutting of our national industrial base really plays a huge roe in making Kenosha and Racine look like dumps. But once they rebalance their economies and integrate more fully into the regional plan for Chicago and Milwaukee, those two towns will be hot little jewels on the Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,382 times
The Fox Valley is a really sad place, that way. It's seriously the only part of Wisconsin that makes me feel sick. The sprawl is absurd there. You almost need a GPS to find downtowns there. It's sad too, because you look at downtown Green Bay or Kaukauna and you realize that those river and bay towns could be gorgeous, thriving places if they didn't waste so much money slavishly adhering to whatever libertarian dogma drives that sprawl in the first place. I don't think it's any coincidence that the counties just south of there are the most Republican in Wisconsin. They're basically allergic to the WORD "public" over there. Everyone there has to have their ATV, Hummer, Harley, or boat. And screw everybody else. And taxes and the DNR are like synonyms for Satan over there too. It's like another state, almost.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,303 times
I have to second that the Port Washington, Bayfield and Mineral Point downtowns are small, but cute. They are worth visiting and have some potential. Prairie-Du-Chien has some potential too. Hudson is not so bad if you like antique-y stuff. Superior, WI is a major disappointment when compared to Duluth, MN just across the state line. I still prefer the downtown restaurant selection and more eclectic feel of Madison, though.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 PM

280 posts, read 648,144 times
Honestly, I think Downtown Milwaukee is one of the most boring parts of the city. The eastern half at least has the art museum as well as some good performing venues and restaurants, but the nightlife is nothing to write home about. Water Street is just a big tourist trap that only impresses people from upstate and Cubs fans looking for a place that'll tolerate their douchiness. And the only other place downtown that's not completely dead after 6pm is Milwaukee Street, which is pretty much useless unless you're a yuppie who wishes they lived in Chicago (yet the Cubs fans don't go there nearly as much, oddly enough).

Brady, Third Ward, Bayview, Riverwest, Walker's Point, the Eastside... all of them offer a more exciting and authentically Milwaukee experience than downtown. I honestly feel bad for the people who come to stay in the hotels downtown and don't know any better.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 41,544 times
Appleton used to have a great downtown. They're trying to hang onto it, but like others have said, the malls are destroying a lot of downtowns. Appleton recently lost their 100 year-old bookstore, a long-time shoe shop, and other businesses. People still care about "downtown" there, so it might not be totally lost. The Appleton area IS still a great area...and just about anything you want or need can be found within a short distance. (and downtown is NOT about SUV's).
Green Bay has lost their downtown also... but they have a lot of people who are interested in revitalization... and have made a valiant effort with new shops, farmer's market, etc. Both Green Bay and Appleton have a lot to offer insofar as entertainment, education, etc.
Madison is still tops as far as diversity, though. They have something for EVERYone... which is why I'm moving there. ;-P

Old 01-12-2011, 06:28 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
As far as smaller towns, Fort Atkinson, Whitewater, Superior, and Monroe all have very nice downtowns.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:35 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
As far as smaller towns, Fort Atkinson, Whitewater, Superior, and Monroe all have very nice downtowns.
Superior, seriously?

I guess the OP's original question really was quite subjective!

Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
I don't know. I was just there a few weeks back and thought it was nice. Some interesting restaurants and shops, etc.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM

149 posts, read 315,180 times
La Crosse is jam packed full of bars. I think we have some record for bars per capita. The alcohol is dirt cheap (and so are the women). Drinking is part of our city.....I hope it never changes Lot of college kids in this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison