Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 PM

456 posts, read 1,396,541 times

Advertisements

Mazomanie has been getting quite a bit of press today being on a list of the best cool small towns. Art galleries, cafe, dance studio, beach...

Have you or anyone you know been there? What are the people like there? Conservative? Liberal? Friendly?

How realistic would it be to commute from Mazomanie to Madison? Mazomanie is anywhere from 24 to 30 miles away.

I am a Black woman--a writer, poet, singer, and budding guitarist and songwriter--in the process of moving to Madison. I teach English in two local community colleges. I love my work, so I plan to find similar work in Madison. I want to live a peaceful life, and I get along with all kinds of people having grown up all over the States and traveled abroad. But it is also important to me to live in a place where I could be a part of a community of artists. Would I be accepted, or better yet welcomed, in a town like Mazomanie?

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
IDK Indi, that town is rather small and that beach is a NUDE one! I would guess you might be the minority.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:32 PM

862 posts, read 1,050,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Mazomanie has been getting quite a bit of press today being on a list of the best cool small towns. Art galleries, cafe, dance studio, beach...

Have you or anyone you know been there? What are the people like there? Conservative? Liberal? Friendly?

How realistic would it be to commute from Mazomanie to Madison? Mazomanie is anywhere from 24 to 30 miles away.

I am a Black woman--a writer, poet, singer, and budding guitarist and songwriter--in the process of moving to Madison. I teach English in two local community colleges. I love my work, so I plan to find similar work in Madison. I want to live a peaceful life, and I get along with all kinds of people having grown up all over the States and traveled abroad. But it is also important to me to live in a place where I could be a part of a community of artists. Would I be accepted, or better yet welcomed, in a town like Mazomanie?

Anything you can tell me would be helpful. Thanks.
In Madison any job in English never comes open and is fillied by one of the hundreds of PhDs in the area without an academic job.
Small towns in WI tend to be VERY conservative and while you would be tolerated no one is looking to welcome you either.
Only town that MIGHT meet your creteria is Mineral Point.But a job.....

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM

Thank you both. Really appreciate your honesty. I've been in the "minority" in liberal places and in conservative places. I can accept and even enjoy standing out as the supposedly different one in an accepting community, but otherwise no thank you. "Tolerance," imo, is grossly over-rated. Yikes, it's just not worth it to live in a place where people are putting up with your being there or living there. Very, very painful and at times just exhausting.

I will keep searching. I will also think outside the box in terms of my job search. I have seen websites on alternative careers for teachers. Time to google that topic again. I seriously doubt that I will find a full-time position as an English professor, but with all the community and technical colleges in Madison and in the area, I will likely find part-time work in more than one institution or organization (colleges, nonprofits, theatres, etc.) and piece together the equivalent of full-time income. That's how adjuncts do it all over the country. Why, I ask myself, should Madison be any different? I am remembering now that even when I was an elementary school teacher in Madison, I had to supplement my income by doing voiceovers for an audio production company (Haggar Audio).

So...

Alt Dach, what is Mineral Point like? Can you tell me a little more about it?

In the meantime I hope that anyone else out there reading this thread will tell me what it is like in Mazomanie. I am still taken with the descriptions I read last night. Here is the link I have in mind: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-...MtMjAwOC05LTEx

Old 10-02-2008, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,627 times
Default Mazo IS Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Dach View Post
In Madison any job in English never comes open and is fillied by one of the hundreds of PhDs in the area without an academic job.
Small towns in WI tend to be VERY conservative and while you would be tolerated no one is looking to welcome you either.
Only town that MIGHT meet your creteria is Mineral Point.But a job.....
You have absolutely no idea what "Mazo" is like. So why would you offer an opinion about our community?

A few simple facts:

Mazomanie is a culturally diverse community. We have our share of conservative individuals, but we welcome all people regardless of their politics, race, gender, religion or background.

Mazomanie has several art galleries, tons of musicians who get together on a regular basis for jam sessions, monthly "Gallery Nights", a "fair trade" coffee shop, a farmers market every Saturday with organic produce, a Movement Art Center (weekly yoga classes), and a NUDE BEACH.

Sound too conservative to you????

If you need any additional info on Mazomanie, please go to www.mazomaniechamber.com or send us an email at info@mazomaniechamber.com we would be more than happy to assist people interested in relocating to our community in any way that we can.

Respectfully,

Bob Brumley
President, Greater Mazomanie Area Chamber of Commerce
Moderator cut: reference to business

Last edited by Bo; 10-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Removed reference to your business to make post comply with no advertising rule.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:14 PM

Wow, Bob Brumley. Thank you. Very cool...

Old 10-03-2008, 12:28 AM

Here is what I am wondering at this point, Bob, aka Mazomaniac:

1. Is there a college, university, private school, or charter school in Mazomanie that might be looking for an English instructor or teacher? English, btw, is an umbrella term for composition, reading, speech, humanities, drama, etc..

2. Are there nice but affordable housing options, e.g. apartments, flats, or houses rented out in the range of $700 to $800? (Comparable to the same Madison, iow?)

3. Exactly how far away is Mazomanie?

4. Is there any public transportation between Mazomanie and Madison, e.g. buses, trains, etc.?

If I think of any more questions I will write another post or contact you.

Thank you.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 8,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Here is what I am wondering at this point, Bob, aka Mazomaniac:

1. Is there a college, university, private school, or charter school in Mazomanie that might be looking for an English instructor or teacher? English, btw, is an umbrella term for composition, reading, speech, humanities, drama, etc..

2. Are there nice but affordable housing options, e.g. apartments, flats, or houses rented out in the range of $700 to $800? (Comparable to the same Madison, iow?)

3. Exactly how far away is Mazomanie?

4. Is there any public transportation between Mazomanie and Madison, e.g. buses, trains, etc.?

If I think of any more questions I will write another post or contact you.

Thank you.

Employment opportunities in Mazomanie will be very limited for your profession. You would have better luck in Madison.

There are plenty of places to rent for less than $700/month in the area that are very nice. $500-$600 for a one bedroom is pretty typical.

How far away is Mazomanie? From downtown Chicago - 165 miles. From downtown Madison - about 22.

There is a ride-share program that operates in the area. No buses...vans.

Hope this info helps a bit.

Best,

Bob

Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM

Very helpful. Thank you, Bob. I am going to keep exploring this. At this point I could see myself working in Madison and living in Mazomanie--in time--or Mazomanie could become one of my three-day weekend getaways from time to time. Bed and breakfast, gallery showings, music jams, coffeehouse, restaurants... Sounds truly fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison