Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 PM

9 posts, read 21,616 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am currently employed on a temporary basis for a company in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. I have an opportunity to take a permanent position in Cross Plains. However, I will be taking a big pay cut and will be making about $26,000.

I am used to the high cost of living both in SO FL and NJ where I am orignally from and am wondering whether I will be able to live on that amount. I have done extensive research and found that rents are much cheaper as is the cost of living in general but don't want to relocate and then find I cannot pay my bills.

I am tired of the plastic people down in FL and the Madison area fits in well with everything I am seeking in a new location.

Any insight that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,386,856 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here because I can sometimes live beyond my means, but I think you would have to be *very* frugal to live anywhere in this area on 26,000 per year.

I have a friend who lived comfortably on slightly more than that, but she rarely ate out, bought all of her clothes second hand, used public transportation instead of a car, used the public library for books and videos.... Well, you get the idea.

In college (albeit 22 years ago) I lived on $900 per month after taxes and lived well in my opinion, but I have no idea how I did it. My efficency apartment was 495 per month and I had $505 per month for utilities, food and any other bills and entertainment.

Of course now I have a house, 6 cats and a dog. Houses and pets are expensive. Just had two of the cats teeth cleaned and it set me back over $600 dollars. Of course one had a tooth extracted, but still, yesh...

Old 10-30-2008, 07:02 AM

9 posts, read 21,616 times
Default Thank you

Hi Megan, I really appreciate your insights here. While I am looking for a better quality of life, I don't really want to have to be very frugal in order to live.

Thank you!

Old 10-30-2008, 10:05 AM

1,741 posts, read 5,386,856 times
No problem. Sorry the news was not better. I just realized I got my math wrong. I made a thousand dollars a month after taxes. I knew the amounts of my rent and my "mad money", but didn't add correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison