Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 7,377 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone knows what the worse times for travel are from Madisont o Ohare. Our flight leave at 11am. We want to try and be there by 9am, so what time should we leave madison?

Thanks!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 11:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
No later than 5:30am. 8-9am is about the worst conceivable time to be fighting traffic in the O'Hare area. You should be fine from Madison right up to about 10 miles from the airport. After that, it's a total crapshoot. There's a chance you'll zoom right to the parking lot, and there's a chance that last 10 miles will take you 45 minutes. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:34 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Just curious. Why aren't you flying out of Madison? A few years ago I discovered that the little bit more it costs to fly out of Madison is more than made up for by not having the hassle of the trip to O'Hare. If not Madison, then flying out of Milwaukee is a lot easier than out of O'Hare. But honestly, I love being able to just drive over to the Madison airport, park, get on the plane and go. Often have to transfer, depending on the destination, but even so it is a lot easier than the trip to O'Hare.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
With no traffic, Madison to Chicago is 2 and a half hours. Arriving at rush hour is a tough call. I would leave at 6AM, but I think most people would leave earlier "just to be on the safe side."

A lot of people prefer to fly out of Chicago because it is cheaper, it is an easy drive and many times a flight to OHare from MSN can be cancelled or delayed thus making passengers miss connections. It has happened to my parents several times. They have ended up driving to OHare when their connecting flight was cancelled out of MSN. I know most people prefer to pay more for the convenience though, but I think the other reasons are justifiable...mainly because of how the US air travel "spoke" system works.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 PM

653 posts, read 3,407,664 times
Personally--if it were me--I would leave Madison NO later than 5A.M. Any significant accident could tie up in-bound traffic big time. As a Former truck driver going into Chicago frequently, I can recall times when that would happen and one would only travel only 5 - 10 miles in an hour. If the accident was big enough (Tanker fire or something of that nature), traffic could be re-routed onto surface streets, and than it's really a nightmare. When traveling into Chicago my motto was EXPECT the Worst, and HOPE for the best. Seriously, leave early and you should arrive relaxed and on time!!

Old 04-02-2007, 07:34 PM

42 posts, read 189,146 times
If you have to take the trek from Mad Town to O'Hare I would suggest taking the van galder/coach usa bus

Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM

507 posts, read 2,061,106 times
toast12 is right-o; avoid the B.S. of air travel and get to O'hare in maybe 2ish hours, and it's way cheap!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast12 View Post
If you have to take the trek from Mad Town to O'Hare I would suggest taking the van galder/coach usa bus
My family and I used to do that, too. Parking at O'Hare is so expensive! If you're staying at your destination for any length of time, it's cheaper to take the bus.

BTW, I know this is an old thread, but it's timely because this is a time of year when many people are traveling by air.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
Good point, Bowie. And I completely agree about Van Galder; can't count the number of times I've been stranded because the O'Hare-to-Madison flight got canceled. I just gave up even trying. If I have to go through O'Hare, I use Van Galder.

That said, for most destinations, we have found that flying out of Milwaukee's airport is either as cheap or cheaper than flights originating from O'Hare, and both the traffic and the travel time from Madison to Milwaukee is much, much easier than dealing with Chicago toll roads and traffic jams. When folks visit here from elsewhere in the country, we always encourage them to fly into and out of Milwaukee.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Ive flown to and from Ohare a couple of times, and the driving commute to/from there to Madison wasnt as bad as it might be now. Most of the drives were around the midday hour, and we only ran into a few areas where it bottlenecked....but those were areas where there were accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison