Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city best suits our family for long-term living?
Boston, MA 6 17.14%
Madison, WI 21 60.00%
Vancouver, BC, Canada 7 20.00%
Albuquerque, NM 2 5.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:01 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,462 times

Advertisements

eh... I think she was thinking we were all schlogging (is that even a word?! lol) around our degrees and genius because we're so cool like that, lol...no worries, she probably understands now that she knows the University is there! :-D It prob just came off weird to an outsider as to why everyone in Madison is talking academia a lot! :-D The last time I checked Albuquerque was the #1 spot in the nation for largest amount of PhDs in any given city...if anyone is into that kind of contest... lol *off topic* sorry...

And about our specific situation, BC didn't get the fusion funding and Obama just funded more science at Madison...so my hubby didn't have to join the dark side (D.O.D.) in Albuquerque! And Boston and New York called after he had already accepted Madison...so I guess my poll is over now, we just bought a house in Madison! :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,029 times
"Ignorant, glorified pigs"? That's quite an arrogant statement. I'm not entirely certain that we need your type around here.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:22 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgingerich View Post
"Ignorant, glorified pigs"? That's quite an arrogant statement. I'm not entirely certain that we need your type around here.
Since you brought it up Agreed

Old 08-09-2009, 07:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgingerich View Post
I agree it is a bit of an extreme statement, but if you've never truly hated where you lived, you wouldn't understand where she is coming from. It is hard not to hold a grudge when you've had to live for any extended time in a place you loath.

I have similar negative feelings about about a place where I had to live for two and a half years where I felt the people were very unpleasant and dishonest.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:11 PM

^^^Only to play devils advocate, would you really feel that way if someone made that extreme statement on the Madison forum about Madison?

Old 08-09-2009, 07:25 PM

Yes, but she isn't making these statements on an Orange County Forum.

If a person, hypothetically, moved away from a place they hated, but then continued to haunt the relocation forum for that place only to rant and rave about what a horrible place it was then I would definitely say that person had a problem.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,029 times
I grew up in the proverbial buttcrack of the unreconstructed South, deep in Appalachia, where the nearest college was 1.5 hours away, and the nearest speaker of "proper English" even more distant. Aside from the nostalgia generally attached to one's place of birth, I will, for obvious reasons, never choose to return permanently, but I certainly hold no grudge against the comparatively uneducated citizens of that community, and I would never debase myself by calling them "ignorant pigs." Really, there's no justification for that unless they murdered her dog or something.

That said, the people in Madison are generally nice (when they are not contained within their political echo-chamber). I am glad to be here, as opposed to my hometown, but that's no cause to spit on my hometown, even though I supposedly had every reason to "hate" it (as I did prior to leaving there, as spoiled brats generally do).

Old 08-09-2009, 07:33 PM

No I don't agree with your premise. I don't see how it's A-ok in "your book" to make comments like that, when some of you would have a COW if anyone said that about Madison Are you sure Orange county hasn't been attacked on the CA forum by them?

Last edited by gold*dust1; 08-09-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM

I thought about looking, but then decided I had better things to do and it was none of my business (plus I'm just plain beat tonight).

I didn't say it was a-okay. I just said I understood. I don't know what she might be saying or doing on another forum, but slamming OC on a Madison forum is not the same as slamming Madison on a Madison forum.

It think it is sort of pathological to fixate on a place after you've moved on to another. I'll admit the place I hated living in was Eau Claire. There are probably one or two posts on this whole forum where I refer to the place by name and I certainly don't go out of my way to find places - virtual or real - where I can tell people just how bad it was.

I'm happy where I am now, that's all that matters to me.

Last edited by Megan1967; 08-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling and clarification

Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I thought about looking, but then decided I had better things to do and it was none of my business (plus I'm just plain beat tonight).

I didn't say it was a-okay. I just said I understood. I don't know what she might be saying or doing on another forum, but slamming OC on a Madison forum is not the same as slamming Madison on a Madison forum.

It think it is sort of pathological to fixate on a place after you've moved on to another. I'll admit the place I hated living in was Eau Claire. There are probably one or two posts on this whole forum where I refer to the place by name and I certainly don't go out of my way to find places - virtual or real - where I can tell people just how bad it was.

I'm happy where I am now, that's all that matters to me.
For my own record, I happen to frequent CA board from time to time and was a former resident, so possible for me to run into things without searching. It also seems that city-data's set-up actually encourages checking out others posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison