Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM

20 posts, read 92,404 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying a condo in Madison later this year. I have been researching several new developments, and wanted to get opinions on the Hilldale Village development. It's near Midvale Blvd and University Ave, about 3 miles from the Union on the UW campus.

1. Does anyone who lives there want to chime in about their experience so far?

2. Anyone who lives close to there - what's the neighborhood like? Can I take a walk without fear after dark? Would I WANT to do that?

3. Anyone in and around Madison want to chime in about other great places to buy a new or fairly new (built within the past 5 years) condo? Need to be close to campus, or very close to the bus line because I don't want to bother with parking every day.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 05:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I don't live in that vicinity, but I drive through it a lot and I used to work near there.

I think I've seen the condo development you're talking about. Actually seems more like townhouses, if we're talking about the same place. They seem pretty nice. I've actually thought to myself, "I could live in one of those."

That particular area has a very suburban feel. Walking around there at any time of night should be no issue whatsoever. Madison is a pretty low-crime city as it is, and that's a low-crime area even by Madison standards. As for whether or not you'd want to... well, there aren't a lot of architectural gems in that area that make for good eye candy as you're strolling down the street... but there are some nice homes in the area, well-maintained landscaping and what-not, and there are a lot of mature trees in the area that don't really lend much aesthetic value to the neigborhood at this very moment, but certainly will in about a month after they've sprouted leaves. They should help provide some shade while walking around in the summer.

Finally, the neighborhood is pretty tough to beat for convenience. You're a 5 minute drive from downtown, right near a busline to downtown if you prefer public transportation; obviously you're right near lots of shopping options with the Hilldale Mall right at that intersection (though it's an absolute mess right now) plus a few nice places across University Avenue such as the rather large Borders, a nice grocery store, and one of the best wine and beer stores in the city (Steve's Liquors). However, since it's not one of the city's "MAJOR" mall destinations it's not clogged with gridlocked traffic all the time. Finally, it's a straight shot down Midvale to the Beltline which can whisk you to outer destinations and beyond in a hurry (such as one of the major mall areas for extended shopping options).

Old 03-22-2007, 08:10 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
To add to what Drover has already said, they also have their own smaller version of Farmer's Market which provides an immediate source of fresh veggies, cheese, honey, etc.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:57 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,425 times
I used to live afew blocks from there and loved it. Very safe,lots of store, restaurant,coffee locations.Even doctor and dentist offices within walking distance.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I just drove by there again this afternoon. Looks like whatever they were doing that had the mall area torn up (building parking garages, apparently) is all done. The area looks pretty sharp now. And those townhouses still look pretty cool. I'm guessing they're not cheap. If I were to move to Madison I'd certainly give those places a look.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:28 AM

20 posts, read 92,404 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I will definitely put those condos on my Must See list!

--Deanna / deo0519

Old 04-07-2007, 09:38 PM

40 posts, read 259,274 times
It's an nice area, but condos over there don't seem to be selling very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deo0519 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for your input. I will definitely put those condos on my Must See list!

--Deanna / deo0519

Old 04-14-2007, 12:51 PM

42 posts, read 189,146 times
Hilldale area is one of the few including the UW Campus that I like on the west side.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,507 times
Smile Midvale Madison condo

I was actually leaving in one of these condo, I was very happy with the area, because I moved out of the Country found it was easy to rent it. It is now rented and I am thinkng to sell it. If anybody is interested in the purchase please let me know it. Cheers, Filippo

Old 10-14-2007, 03:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,418 times
Exclamation Condo buyer beware

just some advice..steer clear of the The Capitol West development...my wife and I were under contract...the final delivery of the product was no where near the quality they promised...poor customer service, greedy developer attitude...
good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: