Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,875 times

Advertisements

My job has given me 2 months to relocate to the Midwest and Madison is looking like where'd I'd like to relocate. I work from home and travel a lot (educational sales job). I've lived in Indianapolis, Boston and currently Phoenix. I DEARLY love Phoenix so I would like to find an area thats similar in terms of easy access to anything and everything. I have no real desire to live around campus.

I'm only looking to rent for now (probably an apartment). It'll be just me in the apt so something with a little hustle and bustle is ok but living in a apartment tower is out of the question. No need to break my back carrying camping and offroading gear in and out all the time

Anyone have any suggestions or things I should look out for? I'm not real picky, just want to find a decent place in a nice neighborhood.

Also, are there any furnished housing options out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 PM

16 posts, read 45,528 times
I don't think Madison is right for you then. I am originaly from Wisconsin and had just lived in Phoenix but moved back as I hated it down there, they are complete oposites in every way. I think Chicago or its million suburbs would be a better fit to your description and winters are a lot better and have less snow. Madison also does not have many large chain stores that you are looking for, we mostly have mom and pop shops and resturants. Apartments are usually really quiet and seem like ghost towns, but downtown near the campus would be more exciting, just everyone is in college. Hope it helps and doesn't sound too negative.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,875 times
Weather is not a concern to me, I grew up in Southern Indiana and drove a plow for a while in Indianapolis. I LOVE winter and snow and am excited to have seasons again instead of hot, hotter and OMG I'm burning, haha.

Madison might be a bit on the small side but its close(r) to outdoorsy stuff. I currently live in Laveen and its a little barren for me but before moving here, I lived in Tempe and that was a little too busy. Something in the middle would be ideal. I consider myself to be a country boy spoiled by the riches of the city but never have the desire to live downtown anywhere.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:13 PM

365 posts, read 1,221,793 times
I consider Phoenix a polar opposite to Madison in terms of people, environment, politics, and urban convenience, not just weather. If you like Austin, TX, or San Francisco, CA, you are probably more likely to like Madison...Phoenix was John McCain's campaign headquarters...hmmm. Perhaps you would like Indianapolis, Columbus, Lexington, or Springfield more?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:14 PM

365 posts, read 1,221,793 times
I don't know how far midwest you need to go, but Boise, ID sounds right your alley! It is like Phoenix, except with seasons and tons of outdoor activities! I think that sounds like the best match for you, I lived there for 2 years and loved it for those reasons.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 AM

61 posts, read 191,776 times
Not sure what you're going to find that resembles Phoenix. Have you been to Madison yet?

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of Phoenix.. always thought of it as one big suburban sprawl. Hot and smoggy. (some beautiful areas just outside though). Sorry it seems that you haven't gotten the answer you're seeking yet. I'm wondering if folks are taken a little aback by the request for a neighborhood similar to one in Phoenix? The 2 cities are just SO different.

Maybe a little more info about what types of things you like, or are looking for?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM

228 posts, read 665,868 times
I spent some formative years in Las Vegas and have to warn you that streets and driving in this town are nothing like a "newer" city, especially if you come from the Southwest where everything is new, well-paved, controlled, and well-timed. That being said, it doesnt take 40 minutes to get to the airport here, which is nice (and a totally adorable little airport that is a joy to use), and you can more or less get out on to the highway to wherever you are going with your outdoor gear in pretty short order.

There's lots of rental options here- we live in a lower of a two-flat (near east side) and that works great for us as I have a basement to store all my bikes and some garage space as well. There arent many tower apt blocks off campus, and anything furnished is likely to be in the campus area. This area works well for us as its close to bike path, shops, excellent restaurants, and most everything I need to get through life on a daily basis. It really depends on what you want- you could pretty much ditch your car and walk/bike most places if thats appealing (but is the antithesis of Phoenix living for sure!). Ive seen a lot of rental signs go up right now for start dates in July and August- perhaps a trip out here now would be a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison