Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 31,320 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to Madison in about a month to start a job I was just hired for. Im a 20 year old guy and I was wondering what Madison is like for single males?

I know there are alot of college students around but is there a good amount of single women that currently live in Madison and not just go to school there?

Also (this is for people who live in Madison) Where would you reccommend to meet new people and make some friends, since I will be just moving there I really won't know anyone right off the bat.

So basically Im asking whats the possibility of meeting and making some friends in Madison (either men or women)

How are the people in Madison? Friendly? Cold? Ive heard good things about all the folks in Madison but I just wanted to get your opinion!!

Let me know and thanks again.

EvoMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,395,578 times
People are generally friendly here, but you have to keep in mind that true friendships are not made over night. You have to let it happen naturally and can't force it. I hear too many people who move to new areas (not Madison in particular) who are disappointed that they don't have a close circle of friends after 6 months of living in a place. I think 2 year is a more realistic time frame where ever you move.

You will meet people via work and what ever activities you become involved with. There is Hoofers for people that like the outdoors and tons of volunteer opportunities - VolunteerYourTime.org. Volunteering is a great way to meet like minded people if you choose a cause that really matters to you.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the help Megan. I sent you a pm with a few more questions.

Any other opinions from anyone else?

Evoman

Old 03-10-2009, 07:20 PM

53 posts, read 174,047 times
Tell us what kind of stuff you're into and we can direct you better.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,930,136 times
Yes, that would be helpful...Madison is very friendly though. You'll do fine...do you have a place to live yet? Where's your apartment and your job? The side of town you're at would help recommend spots for you, it's a big city after all!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 AM

Well, Im into hanging out with friends for a night on the town, seeing movies, concerts, eating out and just having fun. The biggest thing I was wondering was where you would get the most interaction with people in Madison. Coffee shops? Library? Concerts? Any ideas?

Evoman

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM

47 posts, read 167,033 times
Here's the site for good music in general:

Muzzle of Bees | Music Blog: MP3 Downloads, Videos, News, Tour Dates, Giveaways

Also, www.thedailypage.com is a good one to look for listings for things to do in general.

Mad's got quite a bit going for being so small, but a lot of times it's hit or miss. It seems like some weekends it's hard to decide which good show/concert to go to, and some weekends the best you'll find is some hipster playing in a bar trying to change the world with music about peace.

I haven't seen too many opportunities for a 'singles' scene or whatever people from larger cities claim to have (even though it seems everyone from every forum here seems to hate the single life in his/her respective city), but I suppose for someone your own age, State Street will be your best bet. Just be careful of the Lambda Lambda type that says every sentence (usually about Chris Brown and Rihanna or something) like it's a question. That street is crawling with them.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM

53 posts, read 174,047 times
If student culture is not your cup-o-tea, your best bet will be the Williamson Street bar/restaurant/live music scene. Go to a show at High Noon Saloon, get a beer at the Weary Traveler, have dinner at Jolly Bob's.
I think the quickest way to meet people your age is to get a job in the restaurant industry downtown.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
it's a big city after all!
I agree with everything else you said but 220,000 people is not a big city especially considering that 70,000 are students.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 PM

22 posts, read 104,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I agree with everything else you said but 220,000 people is not a big city especially considering that 70,000 are students.
70,000 is a little high on the student total, and keep in mind that many people who go to school here are from here (like me), or end up staying here and do effectively live here. although madison is not a big city, except area wise. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: