Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,692 times

Advertisements

You know how you feel people from the OC are self-centered? That's pretty much sums up the attitude of IL tourists. Everything is here for their benefit. They tend to be rude, arrogant and careless with the environment.

Ironically, I think Chicago drivers are great - in Chicago - but up here they turn into maniacs. They'll pass construction traffic on the shoulder, switch lanes without warning (or adequate space), never let someone else in when traffic merges (though they are the first to drive up to the front of the line and expect to be let in), drive approximately 100mph over the speed limit, tailgate in the right lane.... Just crazy, dangerous behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 PM

67 posts, read 107,166 times
[quote=mommyntheoc;9072619]LMAO! Umm...I'm moving from the "Land O' Tailgating" so I think we'll be fine :-) In the week we were there, not a single person was rude to us on the road in Madison...not one! And we drove day and night in circle around every part of the city, about 14 hours per day, the whole time...even in the snow, they were fine. Each person carries with them their experiences which shape their perspective on life, being from southern CA...Madison is my idea of Heaven! minus the mosquitoes

Tell me Mommy. Were you driving around with an "OUT OF STATE license plate? If you were, that's the reason you weren't tailgated! People in Wisconsin TAILGATE (form of harrassment) ALL THE TIME. They are rude and ill-mannered, but they are such undisciplined childish humans that they actually get off on it. SAD. I pity anyone moving to this place. You want humdidity, LOL this is the place for it, sweetie. 100% of it! LOL!!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,542 times
No, Anna Kathryn, we didn't drive 2000 miles to visit for a weekend, we flew in and rented a WI-plated car. May I ask why you live there if you dislike so much about it? I couldn't imagine staying somewhere that made me so bitter.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Mommy, We have children and grandchildren here. If we didn't, we would be AS FAR away from Wis. as possible. You will find out about the drivers sooner or later. This is tailgating hell. Like I said they get off on it, a form of harrassment to get their anger out. Why? Look at people's faces here, they're all unhappy. If you make a friend here,you should feel honored, BUT you might not get this type of A hole treatment because they will find out you're from another state and treat you decently. If your a Wisconsinite and from here, it's totally different. Wierd, but true. Strange people here.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM

61 posts, read 191,502 times
I know at least 10 people, half a dozen of them quite well, who are Wisconsinites. They love their state and while NO state is perfect, they have nothing but good things to say about it. AK, you sound very unhappy, and it's really too bad that you feel it's better for your grandkids to be around a grandmother who hates where she lives (not to mention them knowing that they are, in fact, a main reason why grandma is in WI) - rather than growing up around a more positive attitude about ones environment. And to make it worse, you speak of the "anger" of Wisconsinites, when your posts are nearly bleeding with anger, sweeping negative generalizations and vitriol.

Despite what you believe, you cannot actually KNOW what people are thinking or feeling while they are tailgating (this is called mind-reading, and NOT POSSIBLE).

Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 PM

I was born and raised in WI and I don't have a clue what you are talking about annkathryn. Esp. in Madison. People are very friendly here, even to me, a native.

When I talked about tailgaters I was describing Chicago drivers (in WI, in IL they are some of the best drivers around).

People do drive on the fast side around here, but all you have to do is stay in the far right hand, or even middle lane and people shouldn't bother you. It can be a pain to have to allow for merging cars, but at least you don't have to worry about tailgaters.

How long have you been here? It is hard to move anywhere new so you have my sympathy, but you kind of get what you look for in most cases. If you expect the worst you'll get it.

Think about how you are approaching people. Are you friendly and outgoing? If not, give it a try. I'm always happily surprised what a warm smile can do when dealing with grumpy people.

Have you made an effort to get out in the community and get involved with clubs or volunteer organizations? What did you do for fun and to meet people where you came from? There are probably similar things here.

Try taking those grandchildren out to do some fun things. We have tons of festivals in the summer. Public libraries have child centered activities and performers (another plug for the Fitchburg library events.... http://www.city.fitchburg.wi.us/library/index.php).

Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subclavius View Post
If you're in a house, the city can be pretty quick to fine somebody for not clearing their sidewalk of snow or sanding the sidewalk if it's icy or snowpacked. There's also winter parking rules which regulate which side of the street you can park on.
Those are the two idiosyncrasies of Madison law which came to my mind for this thread.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM

Parking - Transportation - City of Madison, Wisconsin

This link takes you to the page where they talk about alternate side parking.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:16 PM

305 posts, read 539,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
What does FIB mean? I can guess the F...lol...acronyms are so tricky because they can mean so many things! Fun Illinois Bunch? lol
Well, the I does stand for Illinois. Use your imagination...

I think that particular form of endearment is more popular in resort areas where most people come from the Chicago area, like Lake Geneva and Door County.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:14 PM

Megan, You don't have a clue about what I am talking about because you have never lived in a friendly state. You only have to go as far South as Indiana to see the friendliness in people, even Missouri. We have lived in other places, Texas and Florida and the people there are extremely friendly. Noone is a stranger. All of the lower midwest and South are like that. Colorado was too. Just good HAPPY friendly smiling people. Very hard to make friends here and manners, forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison