Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 PM

28 posts, read 85,225 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived in both of these cities? Or someone who can compare them?

It seems they are similar culturally, but Madison is better for the economy while Eugene has a closer connection to the natural surroundings and smaller town feel.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,819 times
Eugene by 1,238 points.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 PM

why do you feel that way?

Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 PM

I've lived in Madison for 2 years. Visited Eugene, and live in a Seattle suburb.

Madison is more bitter and angry in general. When Madison residents have found out about my "different" religious or political views I've often received quite harsh responses often yelling in my face. Eugene response is "hey that's cool, whatever" A little more tolerant if you want to call it that.

You live in Seattle so you know the weather is much better. Give me mild and non muggy summers with no bugs vs muggy summers where you have to run the AC at night at times & get bit by mosquito's.
Winter I'd much rather have rain than bitter cold, wind, snow, SALT, and gray sludge.

Land. Give me forests of giant pines, mountains, ocean, pristine mountain lakes, Columbia river gorge over the muddy Mississippi, oaks/maples, dirty & smelly Lake Mendota.

People in Eugene are so laid back and friendly, almost hippie like. Madison is very high strung, heavy drinking, & strong German ancestry. Often obnoxious and just vulgar. Compare Badger fans to Oregon fans to see what I mean.
Madison tries too hard to be hip, where Eugene just is.

Look into Milwaukee.

Last edited by everwinter; 06-10-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Having spent time in both, it is difficult to compare. Outside your door in Eugene is Oregon-and some of the most spectcular,gorgeous scenery in the world. You are also about one hour from the Pacific ocean and about 2 from Portland. The weather is tough in both places. Many can not tolerate the 7 months of grey drizzle in Eugene, but that is a price paid for all the green. It is very hippie,lovely city, but, yes way laid back, I think its where alot of the moldy oldy 60's California dudes retired too. They have a problam with air quality in the summer do to the grass burning in the surrounding areas. A big ordeal for many. You dont have those brutal winters, just drizzle, and if you want snow,you drive up the mountains. Madison has "those" winters. Lacks the beauty( its a pretty city in the midst of nothing much) but I dont find the angry mob attitude the above poster dealt with. Not as hip, nor as hippie as Eugene and not as active year round, obviously. Cost of housing is lower in Wisconsin. You would have better luck with a job in Madison too.Oregon is second to Michigan in unemployment. Yes, I would take the gorge over the muddy mississippi too.

Last edited by nanannie; 06-10-2009 at 07:29 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

thanks for the opinions. everwinter, i have never noticed a mob mentality in Madison. quite the opposite it always has seemed so friendly to me. if anything, it is maybe a bit liberal-elitist, but it has "earned it" in a lot of respects: great education, economy, social programs, etc.

i also lived in Milwaukee for 3 years and there were things i liked and a lot of things i didn't. the home architecture and cost of property is very nice, the eastside and riverwest are a lot of fun, especially in the hot summers where you just have to get out and moving to beat the humidity. however, the city has a fair bit of crime, is high on segregation and racial tension, the economy isn't great and its not a particularly healthy or educated city and not much of a cultural center. its small, downhome subcultures do have a nice DIY feel though.

i agree the PNW has the best natural scenery of probably anywhere i've been and the culture in Eugene sounds nice. what makes it second in my book is the high cost of property, the high property crime rate, and the sagging economy. Madison does better on all these and also has a more world-known University and an almost recession-proof economy based on education, government and health care. there is also great natural scenery if you go west of Madison into the Driftless Region, but it is hard to compare to the pristine PNW. and PNW cities have such great trees!

weather is a toss up for me--each has its merits. the sagging cloud cover that hangs over the PNW for most of the year is pretty oppressive at times, and the lack of sun weakens one's energy, but the summers are amazing. the four season cycle of the midwest makes one a bit more robust and is great for its contrasts, but the winters are too extreme, imho.

Eugene would be fun as a reasonable city to settle down in the PNW i think, since the bigger cities are all too expensive and more than enough acupuncturists (my field). i think Madison is the better call though, but i am biased since it is my home state and closer to my family.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Sounds like you have your heart settled on Madison. I say go for it! Plus more people with back pain to treat from shoveling snow.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:04 PM

13 posts, read 45,465 times
Default Just moved from Portland to Madison

I know I'm a little late on this post, but hopefully you'll find it. If the choice is between Eugene and Madison, definitely go with Madison--especially with the economy the way it is right now. Yes, Oregon has and 11% unemployment rate, the second worse in the country; but Lane County (Eugene) just hit about 14%. Also, though they are both college towns and full of devoted Ducks or Badger fans, there is MUCH, MUCH more culture and city life here in Madison while still being a beautiful city. Eugene has much more of a small town feel, which can be very nice, but it really does lack the amenities that come with living in at least a moderate sized city.
Now, this is if your choice is between Eugene and Madison. If you're willing to branch out and pick Portland, Oregon--then all bets are off. It's still hard with the economy right now, but I think it's just about the greatest city in the country. I am originally from Minnesota, have lived all over the country and all over the world for that matter, but after 8+ years in Portland it is the place I call home.
The weather takes about a full year to deal with and really see the pay-off of all the rain, and perhaps another year to love. A drizzly day and a great cup of Stumptown Coffee at Powell's Bookstore and life doesn't get any better. Be advised, though, that it is gloomier in Eugene than in Portland. This has to do with it being rooted low in the Willamette Valley, which is also the reason for the poor air quality in the summer--allergens, clouds, fog, everything just sits there.
I recently moved to Madison for graduate school and after my two years are up, I'm moving back to Portland and buying a house. I really like Madison so far: if I can't be in Portland, it's just behind Minneapolis in other cities I think are great.
Or you could pick Minneapolis: very low cost of living and housing, very active culture, progressive-minded people, and the accupunture market is not yet saturated. My good friend graduated of NCNM in Portland, and was considering moving to Minneapolis for that reason. On the other hand, yes there are a few professional accupunture programs in Portland and thus a lot of clinicians competing for space, but there are also a LOT more people who utilize your services--it's more in the Portland mainstream. Just a thought.
Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM

365 posts, read 1,220,202 times
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizohm View Post
Has anyone lived in both of these cities? Or someone who can compare them?

It seems they are similar culturally, but Madison is better for the economy while Eugene has a closer connection to the natural surroundings and smaller town feel.

What do you think?

Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 PM

83 posts, read 232,155 times
Have lived in both Madison and Eugene. Working in the medical field, I found them comparable financially. I didn't notice any big difference in their economies. My personal opinion, however, is Eugene. It just seems a little nicer, a little more laid back. Madison people seem more arrogant, take themselves far to seriously. Kind of an "I'm better than you " thing going on here.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Bo; 07-04-2009 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the posts you were referring to were deleted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison