Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:41 PM

61 posts, read 191,476 times

Advertisements

There seem to be a bunch of thrift shops here. I just went to the Hospice Care thrift today near the Target in west Madison (Mineral Point) and found framed Warren Kimble prints for $20 (these sell for $100+ online) just today. Furniture does seem to go quicker on CL here, but you're drawing from a much smaller population than OC. I have to agree with the post above, buying good used at fair prices takes time & patience.

[While you make some good points indeed, I think we'll have to agree to disagree on the SES in the OC. I spent 28 yrs in LA & San Diego and my brother has lived in Huntington for 8 yrs.. definitely not uniform wealth, but a great deal more concentrated wealth/property value than the rest of So Calif., besides maybe Santa Barbara. Most notably a median income of $75k/year and density of Fortune 500 companies.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 AM

365 posts, read 1,220,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
You want Eco-friendly, just bury your chair when you're done with it or throw it out the window next time you're driving through a forest.
For your info, Madison doesn't seem to have any eco-friendly furniture so apparently not only in Madison...apparently PA, MI, AL, CA, WA, AZ are the states with the most eco-friendly products...FYI Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Bo; 06-26-2009 at 12:40 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 12:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Some posts above were deleted. A couple of reminders from the TOS appear to be needed.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:49 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
I would like to add that this is my last post in the Madison forum, I guess there is no room for jokes and a little off topic banter.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM

129 posts, read 556,957 times
Have you tried Satara Home & Baby? They're going to be a little on the pricey end, but they do all natural, organic cotton, renewable resource wooden furniture. They specialize in baby stuff and bedding, but I think they carry a few other things. And they may be able to tell you where you might be able to find other things.

Also, Oompa Toys in Middleton sells lots of toys, furniture, etc. that's all wood.

Otherwise, for furniture, St. Vinny's can be a steal, though you need to check there with some frequency. As you can imagine, the good stuff goes really fast. Good news is this is the right time of year - in the next 3-4 weeks tons of people will be moving and getting rid of their stuff at St. Vinny's, curbside (I see Hippie Christmas was mentioned) and on Craigslist.

Last edited by Nique; 06-29-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: adding information

Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,577 times
Hi there,

I can't help you on the furniture but I know a great organic furniture polish by Vans organics. No petroleum byproducts. No solvents. No artificial fragrances. And every ingredient is renewable and Earth-friendly. Hope you enjoy!

[url=http://www.abesmarket.com/all-natural-lavender-and-sweet-orange-oil-beeswax-furniture-polish.html]All Natural Lavender and Sweet Orange Oil Beeswax Furniture Polish Abe's Market[/url]

Old 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,404 times
Thanks for the info! I have found Satara & Oompa...bought some kids things at Oompa but still need to get into Satara off Odana!! We actually found eco-friendly sofa sets at the Comfort Shoppe...$1700/set delivered, so not too bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison