Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:58 PM

365 posts, read 1,215,778 times

Advertisements

We have been in Madison for one week in our house, we were able to buy an eco-friendly sofa set from Comfort Shoppe but they didn't have any sustainable or eco-friendly coffee tables, end tables, bookshelving units (prefer wider than taller), etc. I'd really love to find a water soluable glue, wax finish or no VOC stain finished wood prodcuts place around here that is reasonably priced. The bunk beds we bought for the kids are sustainable and unfinished southern pine and I had to order those from PA. Anyone know of anywhere I can find what I'm looking for in or near Madison? I'd like to buy local but I just don't know where to look??

And there goes more lightning and thunder...woohoo..welcome to WI :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:56 AM

284 posts, read 1,162,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
We have been in Madison for one week in our house, we were able to buy an eco-friendly sofa set from Comfort Shoppe but they didn't have any sustainable or eco-friendly coffee tables, end tables, bookshelving units (prefer wider than taller), etc. I'd really love to find a water soluable glue, wax finish or no VOC stain finished wood prodcuts place around here that is reasonably priced. The bunk beds we bought for the kids are sustainable and unfinished southern pine and I had to order those from PA. Anyone know of anywhere I can find what I'm looking for in or near Madison? I'd like to buy local but I just don't know where to look??

And there goes more lightning and thunder...woohoo..welcome to WI :-)
If you want custom made stuff, I'm sure John at Newport's Wooden Furnishings on E Johnson can make you whatever you want using eco-friendly materials. He is an amazing artist! There is also one unfinished furniture store, called Finish-It, that I know of and perhaps that have eco-friendly furniture?

Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Do you know the price points of those 2 retailers? We went garage saling today and found a few good finds...I also figured out another reason why veneer is not good in high humidity locations :-)

Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,374,509 times
My mom had Newport build an amoire (sp?) for her computer about 12 year ago and it was $1500. He's a little pricey (when converting 1997 dollars to 2009 dollars), but the workmanship is wonderful solid cherry with inlays - the works.

I think Finish It is over priced.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM

Good to know...I think most places are overpriced around here, CA is full of bargains comparatively! LOL I miss my OC craigslist, people just give away gorgeous like new furniture there...Madison sells a 1970 sofa for $100.....CRAZY! :-P

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM

61 posts, read 190,569 times
^ funny, I think I've had the opposite experience - especially with vintage or antiques. In LA and San Diego (where I'm from) they always sold for astronomical amounts, even on CL. But in Colorado and here in the midwest, I can find vintage for much cheaper... particularly if you go to thrift/antique shops in small towns, or more economically depressed towns. About 90% of my house was furnished using CL (mostly Denver/Boulder) and it seems like people price their stuff WAY too high as CL has picked up popularity in the last few years. You just have to keep your eye out and sweep up the deals fast... (though we may be looking for different kinds of stuff)

Unfortunately I've seen the $100 ugly saggy puffy 80's couch in just about every sale page on CL. Silly people.

[Guess folks in OC can afford to practically give their stuff away, as a good deal of them don't need the money anyhow.]

Old 06-25-2009, 09:54 AM

I'm just looking for actual wood pieces...it should be fairly simple and available, but it doesn't seem to be the case here in Madison. It's lost on me...but perhaps I'm just missing where to look, hence the post. :-) I used to drive to San Diego to get killer deals on items...LA wasn't worth the traffic regardless of the piece though. LOL Where are the Amish villages near here? I know the prices will be insane, but that's my style...simple, wood, well-built.

Probably the biggest myth I should bust however is that people in OC are rich, comparatively, yes they have a lot of THINGS, however 95% of those things are not OWNED by them...they're on credit from equity in their houses which appraised well over actual values in the past decade. But the deals I would find there would have some flaw, and those people are all about the outward appearance, if there was a flaw, they didn't fix it, they threw it away because everything is disposable for lazy, self-centered people (imo) and that is truly what was going on, it isn't necessarily that it is because they are rich, it is because they are lazy and extremely superficial. :-) Ok, there are my two cents on that, I'm VERY happy thus far in Madison...except the handful of people at stores who had to see my driver license and treated me rudely because it is CA...but that is probably because of the above referenced myth, which is exactly what OC ppl what others to think of them, that they are rich, not just self-centered, superficial, and bad with money.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

58 posts, read 169,916 times
Why don't you just buy used? No matter how environmentally friendly the manufacturing process is, you're still using resources to produce the product, whereas if you buy used you're not only saving the resources needed to produce something, you're keeping stuff out of the landfill. I saw that you already hit up some garage sales . . . are you not finding stuff that works for you?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM

I'd LOVE to buy used...point me in a direction...there's nothing on ebay, nothing on CL, I can't even find a thrift store around here....PLEASE tell me where???

Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM

I found 2 things at garage sales, a wingback chair and wooden bookcase unit...just about everything else I saw at garage sales was veneer (bubbled and peeling, most likely because the humidity here lifts it) and honestly, there wasn't much furniture out at garage sales. Out of all the garage sales I went to, if it wasn't veneer, it was way overpriced ($100 for an old dining table without chairs, not in good condition either)....Normally I spent around $350 to furnish our house with used furniture off CL, Ebay, & garage sales (or people putting things out on the curb)...but that *might* buy me a couple end tables *if* I could even find it here. It is really frustrating :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison