Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 03:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times

Advertisements

It seems the actual problem is with the paltry hourly wage that is being paid to the waitstaff. If the states bordering WI can pay a living wage per hour why can't WI???????? Let's place the responsibility where it belongs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 03:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
It seems the actual problem is with the paltry hourly wage that is being paid to the waitstaff. If the states bordering WI can pay a living wage per hour why can't WI???????? Let's place the responsibility where it belongs.

Amen where's their lobby or union? or association?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
Quote:
Right, but for now, the system is what the system is and I don't think waitstaff should be punished because they are caught a bad system.

You have to consider tipping part of the cost of going out to a sit down restaurant. That goes for MN & IL, too.

Plus, 15-20% is typical around the country (25% in Chicago/New York) , regardless of what the base wage is, so there is no excuse not to tip at least as much here.

Now, don't get me started about having to tip the sub sandwich staff who do make minimum wage. You don't tip at other fast food places, but you have to tip them - why?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katherkath View Post
Hello,
I moved here from St. Paul, MN a few months ago and cannot believe that servers only make $2.33/hour in Madison. A server in the twin cities makes $6.50-$7/hour plus tips. On top of the non-existent hourly, tips in Madison are horrible. My friends tell me that the economy has suffered less here than other parts of the country yet I consistently average 15% in tips on my nightly sales. I work at a high-end restaurant in a wealthy part of town; my service involves wine pairing and presentation, often 3-course service, and I am good at what I do. I can't make enough money to pay my bills right now.
Has there ever been an initiative to raise the pay rate of servers here?
Please remember to tip your servers well-they make $2.33 and hour...
15% has been the standard gratuity for as long as I can remember. In certain cities like Denver and Minneapolis it's up to 18%, but as far as I'm concerned, you can't really be pissed that people are ONLY tipping 15%.

To me, it just sounds like you're not very good at your job. A close friend of mine works as a bartender way up in Appleton and she averages over $50 an hour. She only works 8 hours a week and brings home around $400-500 a week in tips.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Right, but for now, the system is what the system is and I don't think waitstaff should be punished because they are caught a bad system.

You have to consider tipping part of the cost of going out to a sit down restaurant. That goes for MN & IL, too.
I never said they should be punished nor did I address tipping, but can assure you I tip well based on performance. I've actually had some excellent service lately, which surprises me considering the slave wage

If somone gives me terrible service I'm not afraid to show my dissatisfaction by tipping them accordingly. I don't owe them 20% just because their employer doesn't pay them minimum wage!

"For now?" How long is too long "for now?" That to me is the core issue.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Amen where's their lobby or union? or association?
Duk123 listed some links. How WI gets away with this is beyond me
Servers need to revolt!

Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM

I have no sympathy for 99% of waiters and waitresses. Unless they're going to start sharing their tips with the cooks (the people who actually make the food) and the bus boys and dishwashers (the people who actually clean up after the customers), then I have absolutely no problem with them making such a tiny hourly wage. What the hell do they have to do anyways? Write down orders? Carry a tray? Roll some silverware? Doesn't sound like brain surgery to me.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
I have no sympathy for 99% of waiters and waitresses. Unless they're going to start sharing their tips with the cooks (the people who actually make the food) and the bus boys and dishwashers (the people who actually clean up after the customers), then I have absolutely no problem with them making such a tiny hourly wage. What the hell do they have to do anyways? Write down orders? Carry a tray? Roll some silverware? Doesn't sound like brain surgery to me.
A chef in a fine dining establishment or even a cook at Denny's makes more than minimum wage. Shame on you...I waited tables for a short time back in the day and it's real work.

It sounds like you don't eat out much and/or are a stiffer. BTW, waitresses do share their tips with the bussers. Dishwashers are on thier own...one of the most lowly jobs and if you can't rise above that one god help you

Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
A chef in a fine dining establishment or even a cook at Denny's makes more than minimum wage. Shame on you...I waited tables for a short time back in the day and it's real work.

It sounds like you don't eat out much and/or are a stiffer. BTW, waitresses do share their tips with the bussers. Dishwashers are on thier own...one of the most lowly jobs and if you can't rise above that one god help you
Actually, I'm a really good tipper when the server deserves it. Otherwise it's a straight up 15%. I know from experience that servers make far more money than cooks, bussers, and dishwashers, sometimes even more than managment. Unless someone's an executive chef for a fancy hotel or resort, then they don't make as much as you might think. Cooks are lucky to make $10 an hour while they usually put in a much longer day than a server and have to work way harder in 100°F kitchens. Bussers and dishwashers usually make $7-8 hour. Servers are supposed to share their tips with bussers, however, unless you're psychic the servers can under-report how much they made in tips so they don't have to share as much.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:29 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,181 times
Oh bawwww.

Chances are you just aren't that good of waitress, sorry.

People in Madison (and Wisconsin) have expectations, and if you provide good service, they'll typically pay for good service. I've talked to many waitresses and waiters in Madison, and I noticed the only ones that I ever found bitching were the ones who were pretty negative and humorless people to begin with (in which case they shouldn't be waiters). As long as you are warm, attentive, and genuine, you will make more than enough money off tips... no matter if you are in Toledo or Wisconsin.

The fact that you complain that you are "only getting 15%" really shows your true colors, anyway. 15% isn't shabby... at all. You are expecting everything and putting the cart before the horse. You will get nowhere in any job with that attitude.

But with that said, I'm really surprised to hear servers only make 2.33 per hour, especially with Wisconsin's otherwise higher-than-average minimum wage. Hopefully something is done about that.

Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; 07-27-2009 at 03:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison