Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM

256 posts, read 894,449 times

Advertisements

I've lived in SC all my life, but recently graduated and had a recruiter contact me about a job opportunity here. What would I be getting myself into? I really am not a fan of the cold nor am I used to it. How many months of the year does it stay cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Seems "cold" is subjective. I wear shorts when it's 60 degrees outside, but I grew up around here so I'm used to it. For someone who spent their entire life in the south and doesn't like cold weather, I would guess that Madison is "cold" for at least five months out of the year, maybe even six. Here are some things to consider:
  • The leaves are already off the trees by early November.

• It gets cold enough that UW students walk across Lake Mendota in the winter as a shortcut to class.

• Some years it gets cold enough to haul pickup trucks and ice-fishing shacks out onto the area lakes.

• Ten below doesn't faze the city, it just keeps right on going like it's another day in winter -- kids still go to school, people still go to work, etc. That's how common below-zero temperatures are -- everyone is used to it and the whole city just shrugs and carries on.

• Snow in April is not unheard of, though it will usually melt away within a day or two.
Someone with an open mind about cold weather might adjust just fine. Someone who dreads and/or loathes cold weather will probably have a tough go of it.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
I really am not a fan of the cold nor am I used to it. How many months of the year does it stay cold?
Only 6 or sometimes 7

Old 07-26-2009, 06:15 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
If you already dislike cold, don't even bother looking here. I love living in Madison and was still considering moving because of the weather. I was born and raised just south of here and so am very "used to it" I just hate it with a passion.

I don't know what you consider cold, but it gets chilly starting in October (though there can be some toasty days thrown in there) and doesn't truly warm up in my opinion until the end of May.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
we were life long residents of WI until this Feb, then moved to SC. All based on the weather. There are plenty of pluses to living in Madison; but the winters are harsh. The snow isn't like what happens down in SC. Last couple years the totals have been around 100"+ each season. That total does not include the drifting you will deal with everytime the north wind blows. And speaking of that north wind-- you know how it's "cold" in SC when it is in the teens? Picture the high being below zero, with the wind chill hovering in the 10-30 below range. It can be a sunny day and still remain at zero. If you are not used to it, that will surprise the heck out of ya.
One has to enjoy the outdoors in winter to enjoy living in WI. If you like snow boarding or skiing ( maybe having done those in nearby mountains back in NC/TN ), or perhaps would like to bundle up and hit the snowmobile trails--then you may like it.

Some food for thought: in March, we were out on lake Murray enjoying the beautiful weather. Back in Madison, there was still close to a foot of ice on the lake.
You know how they cancel schools down in SC, when the threat of an inch or so of snow may exist? School cancellations are not the norm in WI. In fact last year one of the area districsts ( as the wind chill didn't quite hit 40 below i believe ) held classes--think of those kids waiting for their buses. 6" of snow on the ground-- better learn to deal with it.

Now these are some of the reasons we moved out of WI; but for others are reasons to stay. Unfortunately, you may not have the option of travelling to WI in the dead of winter to check it out before making a decision. And in this job market, if the only opening is one in Madison for ya, then you may end up having to take it. At least to get some experience on the resume, and who knows maybe you'll like the weather changes.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
I think if you don't like the cold it would make sense to pass on the offer. Like in the south how they pay you in "sunshine dollars" which means low wages and all the warm sun is a compensation, up north you tend to earn more, maybe for enduring the harsh weather...but there is another advantage, the quality of life is very high.

It is cold, it is like another world, but if you dress properly it is fine, as one poster said the city keeps ticking regardless. Also, every day isn't below zero it is occasional, the weather fluctuates between frigid and cold to somewhat mild at times. Also, everywhere is heated...so it isn't like living in an igloo.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:50 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,006 times
Yes, it's cold. But if you are the type that can keep an open mind and adapt to new situations well, you might want to give it a chance. Especially if you are still young and also because of the current job market. You could get some experience on your resume and move on in couple years if you don't like it.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM

256 posts, read 894,449 times
Thanks for the comments. Sounds a bit rough out there. I do need a job. They'll pay for me to fly out and interview so I guess it couldn't hurt to check it out.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 AM

966 posts, read 2,445,549 times
Yes, the cold is a challenge. Still, I'll be moving back to Madison at the end of August, remembering that the cold is just a tiny blip on the screen, given all the other great things I know about this lovely city.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
Guess I'll add, that to many in WI the cold is not that bad. As it's something many can get used to. But for those in the south who have not experienced what a real winter can bring--they are the ones who will for a time deal with a shock factor. Seriously, they close schools down here when the threat of an inch of snow is still in the next state, and then everyone hammers the stores for bread and water. And for cold? I was wearing shorts on 50 degree days in Feb, while watching others all bundled up. So it is something a newbie to the north can get used to, but it won't happen overnite. It's the extremes that you can't really explain, that they have to wake up to in person, that they will have to learn to love ( or at least deal with ).
As i stated before, Madison ( and WI in general ) has many positives. If winter wasn't so harsh ( for us ) we would have never moved south. But anyone moving to any new state/region should do as much homework as they can; then once the decision is made go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison