Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:22 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times

Advertisements

Janesville also has a Fuddruckers!! I know it is policitically correct to diss chains, but if that is how it is, then it is my guilty pleasure. PLUS, if everyone really did hate them, they would go away and be out of business...I think there is a lot of double speak and lip service...and of course elitism.

I don't mind local places, it's a great balance, but for example looking at Hilldale Mall, is much less exciting to me because it is all pratically locally owned places, well before it was, now it has evolved somewhat. Local is good, but there needs to be a mix.

Oh, the other weird thing is the scarcity of Burger Kings in Madison, there are so few and I can't remember a new one opening here inmy entire lifetime, they all must date back to the early 70s! All 3 of them for a city of 200,000!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Yep Janesville also has "Ground Round" which expired in Madison in what the 70's? I have to drive all the way to Janesville just to fullfill my cravings for "Jamocha Almond Fudge" at Baskins. Think I will take a cooler with me next time and stock up on some pints

Good points Chelito!

Old 09-17-2009, 11:11 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,021,594 times
I found it odd that so many Hardees closed up in that area over the past few years, yet down here they seem to be doing quite well. In fact, they have a new "Fried Bologna Biscuit" -- guess i know i'm in the south now!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:00 PM

^^^Fried bolonga biscuit hmm interesting...I guess I have made fried bolonga sandwiches at home but it's been a few years. There is only one Hardees that I can think of currently...I only like there breakfasts if anything (biscuits and gravy).

2 Popeyes, a Steak n Shake and Smokey Bones are a few more that bit the dust here off the top of my head. I guess a majority of people in Madison only like MCDee's, Culvers, Arbys, Wendy's for the most part >> ugh it's so beyond boring!!!!!!

If we get something new like a Red Robin it's a given that they will pop up all over town when one would suffice. I don't understand why Jack n the Box, IN and OUT, Chick fil A, Weinerschnitzel, to name a very few, won't do the Midwest A Waffle House would never make it here.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:30 PM

Chick fil A seems huge down here; real long lines at certain times ( funny, considering at minimum 6 "chains" that specialize in fried chicken here ).
I doubt it would make it in WI though, as they will not be open on Sunday at all. Here that seems to fly, considering the blue laws, etc; but to risk opening a new biz on a 6 day calendar, not sure on that one.

At least for us as newbies in SC, there are regional 'chains' that the locals may frown on, but they are new to us so even more options for food. I always enjoy trying something new and different

Back to Hardees, not sure if their commercials made it to TV up there, but the ones for their little donut holes are funny/outrageous ( one is for a taste test: "B" holes compared to "A" holes ). I'm sure they are on you tube if not tv...

Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Yeah, Hardee's didn't make it here. I think they had financial problems and closed the less profitable stores more than anything. They also tanked in the Northeast when they tried to take over and rebrand Roy Rogers. Out west, Hardees is Carls Jr., same company.

Jack in the Box is wierd, they have stores out west and in Tennessee and some other southern states. Who would have figured?

At least we got a Sonic, but I wonder how that format will do here long term (in the winter)...

A shame Popeye's didn't make it, I was so happy when they came. I suppose they just didn't earn enough money here?? They have great biscuits.

I also remember an A&W All American Food restaurant in High Point Center strip Mall behind Shopko on the west side, I loved their food, and they were always packed...and then they closed up shop.

Madison is one of the last places to get national chains for whatever reason (size, location). Blockbuster Video took ages to get here, so did Home Depot and Target (once again Janesville had Target years before we did). We didn't get a Wal Mart Supercenter until recently either...now defunct Circuit City also took a while to move in...and now we finally have a Costco.

Who knows, but you would think with the local demographics more chains would want to be here.

Oh, almost forgot, someone mentioned Baskin Robins, we did used to have one in Midvale Plaza (or what used to be Midvale Plaza)...once again, closed up and left the market. I don't know how many stos they had around town though.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 AM

i remember some of the stuff near East Towne back in early 80's. Dunkin Donuts ( right next to our apt, perfect for after hours snacking ), 'Bally's Tom Foolery' club up on the hill ( It's a Chinese restaraunt now ), and the 'Backstage' ( or was it "Main Stage"? ) bar that was actually in the mall ( their "Oscar" drink would knock ya for a loop ).

I too was curious on what the new Sonic will do come winter, unless they have indoor seating.... or the servers put snowshoes on instead of skates!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Ahh yes I remember the Backstage at East Town, it was there since the 70's. It had dark lighting with a distinct movie theme. I think they played old silent movies on a screen. Regular theater in the mall at that time too. There was also that steak house cafeteria line style place in ET, I can't think of the name of it off hand...very popular.

Baskins was at East Town since when I was a kid in the 70's, probably West Town too, but for the life of me, even though I lived in Verona for a chunk of my childhood, as well as Waunakee, I don't remember that it was at West Town. There used to be a Burger King in East Town. Does anyone remember (McCorey's) don't think I spelled it right. It was like a Woolworths at both malls, like a dime store and had a sit down lunch counter with booths.

I wasn't living in Madison during the time period before Blockbuster arrived.

Yep there is something weird going on in Madison because I've even stopped through in Plover and they have some different restaurants Madison has never had.

I would die for a drive thru BBQ place like they have down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison