Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this forum as well as Madison. I moved to Madison in March of this year from Chicago, IL and I love it. I know the economy is bad right now, but I've been on the job hunt for about 3-4 months to no avail. I get the interviews but never the job. I have a college degree and the positions I apply for are more in the customer service field (I'm going back to school for my master's). I'm trying not to get discouraged because I really do love living in Madison, but I didn't know it was this hard to find a job! Can anyone give me any tips as far as temp agencies or things of that sort?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 PM

133 posts, read 191,388 times
Go to a headhunter?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopcornLove1981 View Post
Hi all,
I'm a newbie to this forum as well as Madison. I moved to Madison in March of this year from Chicago, IL and I love it. I know the economy is bad right now, but I've been on the job hunt for about 3-4 months to no avail. I get the interviews but never the job. I have a college degree and the positions I apply for are more in the customer service field (I'm going back to school for my master's). I'm trying not to get discouraged because I really do love living in Madison, but I didn't know it was this hard to find a job! Can anyone give me any tips as far as temp agencies or things of that sort?

Thanks.
I've got to quotes the good Dr. Phil's advice to spend as much time as you would at work on searching for a job. In other words, looking for a job should be your job, until you find one.

I hate how the newspapers job listings have become almost nonexistent. It used to be fun just to scan 'em, but it's fast becoming a thing of the past.

Get your wonderful telephone book out for temp help (you didn't really metion what field you're in) and of course the internet is a wonderful resource. Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 04:37 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I will say that while Madison was in better shape then many other cities when the economy crashed, and it had the low "advertised" unemployment rates; it was still difficult for some to find full time work. Our daughter applied for various office openings at the time, in some cases she was up against not dozens but hundreds of other apps. One biz even interviewed those with other field degrees ( including nursing ) just for "customer service".
Standing out when you're up against a few can be easy enough. But with the sheer #'s against you, one really needs to find any way they can to not just apply but get that first interview. Then your strengths can come out--a piece of paper doesn't really do any justice.
So i'd suggest not only work the ads/employment companies, but keep your name out there even among friends and any others in your circle ( no this isn't a cell ad! ). Word of mouth is huge--sometimes it takes a helping hand to get your foot in that door. Even at entry level.
Our daugher finally got a good job, but it took help to get that first interview. Then it was up to her to show what she could do.
Not sure where you live in the area, but are you also looking at spots in the burbs? And keep the online searching going--there were few ads in the paper back then ( if readership is down, why would a company pay to advertise in the papers ).
Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 05:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Quote:
Is it really this hard to find a job in Madison??
No, the world still needs ditch diggers.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 PM

75 posts, read 243,051 times
I have a decent background in customer service. Some temp agencies to apply with are Aerotek (they can get you into TDS, definately a place you want to work, they treat you real good and pay decent), Spherion, Kelly Services, Adtec, Celerity Staffing and QTI (or Qualitemps) . Those would be my reccomendations from someone who actually has worked for all of those and found temp positions with all of them.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM

49 posts, read 146,489 times
I know a lot of people that have in the past worked for companies that do relay services. They are almost always hiring, although school did just start up again and there may not be a lot of hours available because of that. Might be something to do until you find a good full-time position, though.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM

395 posts, read 1,861,570 times
I found when I lived out there that a Bachelor's Degree is about as useful as a roll of toilet paper when you're looking for a job. In Madison you've got people with Master's Degrees working in coffee shops and waiting tables. Cab drivers with PhDs. And each of them all so willing to give you an unsolicited lecture displaying their incredible depth of knowledge about an esoteric subject.

The job market in Madison is tough for two reasons: one, it's a college/government town with limited opportunities outside of education or government, and even those opportunities are in short supply these days with the fiscal crisis Wisconsin (and nearly every other state) finds itself in. Second, the competition for jobs is greater because the percentage of the population with Bachelors degrees or higher is much greater than in other, non-college town localities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
View detailed profiles of: