Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Madison?
Absolutely love it! 30 53.57%
It's okay. 21 37.50%
Absolutely hate it! I want to move out or return back home. 5 8.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 03:09 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,594,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I also found this one...
This map is accurate in the way it is usually described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
I, personally, can't afford to live on the west side, but would love to if my finances allowed it. If I think forum posters can afford to buy or rent over there I will always recommend it.

I have owned my home for 12 years. I worked on the east side at the time I bought it and it was 10 minutes my place of employment. Many things in my life have changed since that time but, given the economy and the housing market, I'm stuck here for awhile.

That doesn't mean I can't tell others that I think it would be wiser to purchase/rent on the west side. There are minus's to living on the west side (as well as plus's to living on the east side) but, for me at least, it would be a lot more convenient in many ways.
No, I don't think I stated that you couldn't tell others anything you'd like to. I more don't get the lack of much postive to say about a whole side of a city that one claims to love. Remarks that the east side is "cheap housing" might strike a nerve with many, although I realize the member numbers here are small. This also extends to areas like Sun Prairie. If Sun Prairie is boring with a pool, waterpark, health club and nice parks, every smaller town is boring.

Some of the housing has been built by the same builders city wide and in the surrounding suburbs. The west side has plenty of cookie cutter tract type housing that is at over inflated prices. Maybe you should have followed the age old advice to buy the worst house on the best street, if the west is deemed so desirable to you. In my opinion 12 years ago something on the west side should have been affordable.

I don't care for some of the silly sterotypes about the city and never thought much about them until reading them here. I don't call the 1/4 million I spent on a house chump change and there are much more expensive homes and a few wealthy individuals that live on the east side as well. Remember too, that many millionairs live frugally, so theoretically that person living in that old 2 bedrm bungalow on the east side could be loaded.

At any rate, many responsible and productive citizens have made their mark in the world that attended schools other than West and Middleton.

JMO.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,396,848 times
Wow. After this post I'm done with this discussion, as it is less than productive and way off topic. Obviously you have a real problem with me. Can't say you are my favorite forumite, either.....

I never said that West and Middleton produced the only socially redeemable citizens. I just said that *I* think West is the best high school in the area. I've said Middlton is good, but I don't think I've really pushed Middleton schools.

Sorry. I find Sun Prairie boring. My right to share that opinion. Yours to disagree. Not grounds for WWII.

Housing is less expensive on the east side. Your 250K bought you a lot more on the east side than it would have on the west. I'm sorry if I used the word "cheap." I don't remember doing so, but I might have, esp when referring to Don Simon houses - who built my house, btw. Buying from them was a mistake - fully admit it - nothing I can do about it now other than move and we covered why I can't move right now. I advise others not to make the same mistake.

I never said the west side didn't have cheaply built housing either. I may have said that the same house (regardless of quality) will cost you more on the west side. That' true.

I know there are wealthy people on the east side. I just don't happen to be one of them. I explained why I choose a house on the east side originally and it had nothing to do with money. I can't move *now* because of finances.

I have also recommended people consider the area around Orton park, Willy Street and Atwood. I can't afford to live in those neighborhoods either....

Last edited by Megan1967; 12-01-2009 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: grammer

Old 12-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Wow. After this post I'm done with this discussion, as it is less than productive and way off topic. Obviously you have a real problem with me. Can't say you are my favorite forumite, either.....

I never said that West and Middleton produced the only socially redeemable citizens. I just said that *I* think West is the best high school in the area. I've said Middlton is good, but I don't think I've really pushed Middleton schools.

Sorry. I find Sun Prairie boring. My right to share that opinion. Yours to disagree. Not grounds for WWII.

Housing is less expensive on the east side. Your 250K bought you a lot more on the east side than it would have on the west. I'm sorry if I used the word "cheap." I don't remember doing so, but I might have, esp when referring to Don Simon houses - who built my house, btw. Buying from them was a mistake - fully admit it - nothing I can do about it now other than move and we covered why I can't move right now. I advise others not to make the same mistake.

I never said the west side didn't have cheaply built housing either. I may have said that the same house (regardless of quality) will cost you more on the west side. That' true.

I know there are wealthy people on the east side. I just don't happen to be one of them. I explained why I choose a house on the east side originally and it had nothing to do with money. I can't move *now* because of finances.

I have also recommended people consider the area around Orton park, Willy Street and Atwood. I can't afford to live in those neighborhoods either....
Views on classism which you deemed articulate were brought up and I went on a tangent off that point. I can only speak for myself, but it's not a personal thing for me. All of the statements I made weren't directed specifically at you or things you specifically said.

I don't agree that it is an absolute I couldn't have found something comparable on the west side for the same price. Some people are relocating or are short saling or foreclosing in very new properties and then there are situations where I am sure builders are willing to negotiate. Prices have also come down some.

Still the fact remains there must be "cheap" housing all over the city as the same builder has about 12 subdivisions and that's a lot of homes.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 AM

33 posts, read 117,255 times
Apart form the spicy discussions here; I have to say I felt in love with Madison after living there for just 3 months. Well, I don't live in there per se, my official residence is in another city in the state of IN, but I spend a good part of the week in Madison with my family. What a city! Nice and clean, beautiful by nature, safe, and full of well educated people. Where my family resides, at University Houses, the diversity and geography entices us. Downtown is nice and spirited with nice restaurants and local shops. Farmers market, over for the season now, is superb. Even the weather, while people in other cold parts of the country seem to be complaining all the time, Madisonians seem to enjoy it. I'm thrilled.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
It's a liberal city. No, it is not the only liberal city in Wisconsin, and I am not trying to imply that it is, but after spending nearly two decades living in Texas, I really, really appreciate the fact that I don't have to hide my political leanings lest I be ostracized.
. . .
The fact that some folks take political correctness to such an extreme that it becomes ridiculous. Yes, I like living in a liberal community, but sometimes the strident opposition to ANYTHING new or different becomes downright embarrassing.
Funny -- that's what I don't like about Madison being such a liberal city -- I have to hide my political leanings lest I be ostracized, particularly by the folk who take political correctness to an extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
I came here for a job and at least twice a month am in tears over how bored I am. The activities listed in the Isthmus just arent for me, and the local group I did join was rife with internal politics and bickering to the point where it wasnt enjoyable. Ill try again with another activity this winter, but I just dont feel like I fit in here. Im definitely more of a big city person though- while I enjoy the variety of restaurants, I need a bit more than that in my life!
I have to agree here.

Combined with the above (intolerance of non-liberal thought), it's particularly difficult for me to find interesting activities, groups, or events. I've tried a few of the Meetups, but there just isn't a fraction of the "stuff to do and places to see" as in Chicago.

Same with the food -- not nearly as diverse and authentic ethnic food (both grocery stores and restaurants) as I am accustomed to finding in larger cities.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:33 PM

33 posts, read 87,375 times
Dear Derry8107:
Ignore the "east side" versus "west side," "Milwaukee versus Madison," etc., etc., etc. chatter. I lived in Madison for over 25 years and the only place I ever noticed that was in discussions like this. I worked in jobs from blue collar up to professional level while in Madison. Perhaps I did not give a damn whether a person worked at Oscar Mayer, because they were doing a useful productive job that supplied people who liked to eat meat. I would talk to anyone from them on up to the people like prominent professors on the same basis. The attempt to elevate oneself or one's group to a superior status is just human nature. We're number 1! Mississippians probably try to denigrate Louisianans, or whatever. I was sitting in a Fortune 500 company restaurant here in NW Arkansas (McDonalds, HA HA) and the locals were telling "Alabaman jokes." In Canada it used to be Newfie (Newfoundland) jokes, Minnesotans tell Iowa jokes, and vice versa. You can bet someone is probably thinking negatively about my reference to low-brow McDonalds. HA HA. McDonald's coffee beat Starbucks and that formerly renowned donut company in a taste test. If you go to Madison (or McDonalds, or anywhere) with an attitude or chip on your shoulder, you will find something wrong. I enjoyed all 25 years in Madison, and 14 years visiting on weekends from Tomah. I never was considered a positive thinker at work so I don't ignore the fact that some people would find Heaven to be faulty. The only thing I could not take was the climate. I am not metabolically or physically built for that cold. Most people have NO problem with adapting to it. If I could have I NEVER would have left. I am sure there are other cities as good or better than Madison in all criteria, but you are wanting to attend school there, and only you can decide whether or not it fits what you like.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,886 times
Well i've lived in madison for 10yrs. and during that time back and forth beetween chicago. I now live in minnepolis minnesota but i just left madison at the beging of september. But anyone who says that its diverse is a lie. i mean their is a vast amount of blacks,mexicans, and others. but the majority of the population is white. And to be honest it has grown bigger. But if you want a life and to have fun move to chicago or milwaukke. But if your going to college then madison's the best place or if you want to raise children ina good enviroment. But i liked osme things about it i means if you drive fast and theres low traffic you can make it to chicago in less then 2 hours. and possibly 45min. for milwaukee. Madison women aren't the best but i cant complain due to the ones that are here for college.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper74 View Post
Well i've lived in madison for 10yrs. and during that time back and forth beetween chicago. I now live in minnepolis minnesota but i just left madison at the beging of september. But anyone who says that its diverse is a lie. i mean their is a vast amount of blacks,mexicans, and others. but the majority of the population is white. And to be honest it has grown bigger. But if you want a life and to have fun move to chicago or milwaukke. But if your going to college then madison's the best place or if you want to raise children ina good enviroment. But i liked osme things about it i means if you drive fast and theres low traffic you can make it to chicago in less then 2 hours. and possibly 45min. for milwaukee. Madison women aren't the best but i cant complain due to the ones that are here for college.
Hey, easy there fella

Old 03-03-2010, 06:35 PM

180 posts, read 663,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
I also heard many people complaining that Milwaukee is becoming more ghetto with Chicagoans including the blacks are moving into Milwaukee, Racine, and Kenosha for cheaper cost of living bringing with them the rising crime rate.
Attitudes like these seem disturbingly common in Madison. Maybe not as frequently as you'd find "up nort," but much more than you'd expect in a town that prides itself on its supposed progressivism and open-mindedness. Not that suprising once you consider that it's 84% white and overwhelmingly upper middle class... not unlike most suburbs (yet somehow, it keeps getting called "diverse")

Truth be told, I think Madison is a great town with a lot to be proud of, it's just a damn shame that most of its residents can't seem to let that speak for itself. The suffocating pomposity has prevented it from being a place I would ever consider moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison