Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

I have been searching the forums about life in Madison and can't seem to find what i'm looking for so please forgive me if I'm repeating questions. I am Cardiovascular Surgical Technologist and am looking to move in the very near future. We are a young African American family with two kids in elementary and one who will be in high school next year. By research and looking on forums the schools in Madison seem to be great. I am interested in finding more about the hospitals, cost of living,(would like to rent a 3 bdrm at first), and diversity. I currently live in Kenosha,Wi and grew up in Green Bay but would like to move somewhere with a bit more diversity. We love the nitelife also so good jazz and R&b spots would be ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:16 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,397,236 times
Welcome!

I shuddered when you asked about diversity as this is always a hot button topic on this forum. It could totally derail your thread. Rather than answer your other questions, everyone will fight over whether Madison is diverse or not.....

Compared to everywhere else in the state, except Milwaukee, it is diverse, but ethnically, it is still a primarily an white community. Being capital and having the university here helps in that department as they attract people from all over the country.

The cool thing is that it is very diverse economically and people of all socio-economic classes live side by side in many areas. We do have some areas that have a high concentration of low income families, but you will find that there is a lot of planned integration. There is often subsidized housing next to $300,000+ homes.

Jazz places... I've never been to Lilianna's in Fitchburg, but they have Jazz performers every week. There is a Madison Jazz Society that holds the Capital City Jazz Fest (2010 it's in April) and their site has other events listed as well: Madison Jazz Society

For renting, where do you want to live? As a rule the west side is more expensive than the east, but there are some exceptions.

For High Schools - West is the one that most consistently ranks the highest by many measures. I say that objectively as I don't live anywhere near it and grew up elsewhere. I really like John Muir for grade schools, I did my librarian practicum there, but it is in the Memorial HS attendance area. Not that Memorial is a bad high school; it just not West.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM

365 posts, read 1,220,462 times
I'd just like to say that coming from southern CA, I've found Madison to be the most ethnically diverse city in the midwest where people seem to get along without any racial issues side-by-side.

As far as good jazz spots, I've heard of a couple downtown but not too many - it seems they value beer over culture here, but just an observation - would LOVE to be corrected on that one :-)

Not sure about rentals but 3 bedroom houses run around $190k in nice neighborhoods...I'm not sure if I'd waste money on renting, we didn't.

The hospitals seem to have many satisfied patients and most people seem happy with their care here.

Overall, I feel like I entered a pleasantville of sorts compared to everywhere else I've been...I mean, the evening news starts out with high school football scores rather than gunshots and rapes...I don't think people who are from here realize how lucky they are. :-)

Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc View Post
I don't think people who are from here realize how lucky they are. :-)
Well you can't lump us (Madisonians) all together. I don't think the average Californian is dodging bullets everyday. I lived there, I know, and the pm news was just as pleasant, plus I had access to some of the best big stations. I was never the victim of a crime in the 11 years I lived in CA and I can't say the same for Madison WI.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,671,494 times
Crime in the "big cities" not nearly as bad as the evening news makes it appear; I lived in Chicago for two decades, and only got shot at once
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyntheoc
Not sure about rentals but 3 bedroom houses run around $190k in nice neighborhoods...I'm not sure if I'd waste money on renting, we didn't.
I agree -- with prices so low here, there's very little incentive not to buy assuming you are planning to stick around for more than a couple of years.

Compared to anywhere else I've been in the USA, Madison is not particularly ethnically or politically diverse. I do agree that the city is "very diverse economically", but not the culture, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison