Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:59 AM

33 posts, read 117,229 times

Advertisements

I researched lots of threads here, all of which were helpful, but could not find the exact info I'm looking for.

My question is what Madison burb is better for a family with children entering elementary school (public)? That's our situation. My wife and I don't mind commuting to Madison as long as it is maximum 45 minutes (sounds like doable from my research). I need a safe burb with good public schools and good nearby parks/recreation if possible. Also, we like neighborhoods established in relatively recent years (less than 10 years), with the potential to buy a new or less-than-5-year old house.

Could someone help us? Thanks in advance! Much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 AM

19 posts, read 48,830 times
What is your price range for a house? What is your preferred commute time?

Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiDad View Post
What is your price range for a house? What is your preferred commute time?
We would like to keep the house price in the 320-380K range, 400K maximum. Commute time is not a big deal as far as it does not exceed 45 minutes (one way)... I have commuted for 1 hour before and thought it was too much. 30 minutes or less would be the ideal but good schools, safety, and access to parks or other recreation for my children are far stronger priorities than commute time. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:17 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,016,490 times
I'd suggest Waunakee or Deforest on the N/NW side of Madison. Or Middleton on West. There are actually a good number of subs you could consider in your price range; the commute may also depend on where in Madison the jobs are located.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:49 AM

I currently live in Indianapolis, my family in Madison. I can possibly transfer my job to Madison next year, so we are studying the possibilities. If I do transfer, my work will be on the east side. My wife works at UW, but since she has a somewhat temporary appointment, we're still leveraging whether or not transferring my job to Madison is a good idea. I thought I research the living options in Madison to help us making that decision

Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 AM

That amount of money will go pretty far for housing in the Madison area. If your job is out by American Family, I'd suggest living east and keeping the commute for you under 20 minutes. From Stoughton to Sun Prairie, you will have a lot of choices.

While Middleton and Waunakee would be possibilities, I would think that the stress of the extra commute and the loss of time with your kids would outweigh any marginal benefit from the somewhat better schools.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
That amount of money will go pretty far for housing in the Madison area. If your job is out by American Family, I'd suggest living east and keeping the commute for you under 20 minutes. From Stoughton to Sun Prairie, you will have a lot of choices.

While Middleton and Waunakee would be possibilities, I would think that the stress of the extra commute and the loss of time with your kids would outweigh any marginal benefit from the somewhat better schools.
Thanks, that's great advice. I may have to "downgrade" my price range due to the property tax values. I just recently realized that property taxes in Madison are significantly higher than in Indy.

The east side would make sense for me but my wife works in the west part of UW campus, so her commute would be perhaps 15-20 minutes longer than mine if we stay east. So, since having a longer commute is more suitable for Dad rather than Mom in our case, I may have to prioritize the west side. In addition, most people seem to agree that the west side offer better options as far as better education, more options for recreation, safer communities, although I have read mixed opinions in some aspects.

Last edited by nunesvetpath; 12-02-2009 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 01:28 PM

My wife also works on the west side of campus. We live on the far, far west side of Madison and our kids go to Middleton schools. My search for top schools and recreation (with minimal commute) led us to our neighborhood.

You might find something in your price range in Greystone (Madison with Middleton schools).

Old 12-02-2009, 01:37 PM

365 posts, read 1,220,057 times
My fav is Mt Horeb (we live in Madison and have 2 boys)

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
My wife also works on the west side of campus. We live on the far, far west side of Madison and our kids go to Middleton schools. My search for top schools and recreation (with minimal commute) led us to our neighborhood.

You might find something in your price range in Greystone (Madison with Middleton schools).
Great, thanks again. What neighborhood do you live then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison