Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM

26 posts, read 79,278 times

Advertisements

I am struggling with living here - relocated here to be with my now husband, but now that we have a little boy, I am miserable because I miss my family.

I thought it would be great if I could commiserate with other transplants from the East Coast.

Share your story. Why did you come to Madison? How long have you been here? How do you cope with holidays? Do you have a hard time meeting people who just don't seem to understand where you're coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 AM

158 posts, read 610,307 times
Default moving

Hello!
Well, I am not living in Madison, but will be moving this summer with my family to Wausau. Right now we are in RI (where my parents and grandmother live). My husband's family lives overseas, so it really makes no difference to them where in the US we live....

While I lived in RI when my first daughter was born and was there for her first year, we moved to Iowa for three years after that and my second was born there. I can understand that it might be hard to live away from family. Even when we were here in RI the first time (and now) we were/are 40 minutes away from where I grew up, so I didn't see my old friends all that much. My parents are also very active so we visit once or twice a week, but they don't often have the time to actually babysit.

Now we are about to move away again... this time a little more permanently. The trick is creating a safety net of friends around you. You have a son, so it is actually easier to meet people through activities who share something in common (raising a child!). When we were in Iowa I looked around and found some mommy/baby classes and a couple of playgroups blossomed.... It was a fantastic experience and we are still in contact with a lot of the families.

I have lived in various places in the world and I have to say that the easiest place that I have been in so far to raise a family has been the Midwest.

Have you ever lived away from your family? Are they able to come a visit you? It must be harder if this is your first time AND you have a new baby....I wish you all the best! Chin up!

Old 12-18-2006, 04:15 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,528 times
How long have you been here? I am on my second year in Wisconsin and finding things to be a bit easier.

I grew up on the east coast. We were transfered to Columbus, Ohio for 4 years which I loved. The people there are much easier to get to know than in Wisconsin, where most are born and raised.

We moved to Delafield, Wisconsin(between Madison and Milwaukee) about 2 years ago. I've found my best luck making friends with people who are not from here. Although recently I seem to be a bit more accepted by everyone. I started a neighborhood book group, volunteer at the kids' school and have been very friendly(a bit out of my comfort level since I can be shy) I do admit people here are more stand offish than I expected, especially since I had such good luck in Ohio making friends.

As for holidays, we do travel. We are heading to Florida to visit my family for Christmas. We did stay home for Thanksgiving this year for one of the first times ever. It was actually kind of nice.

Good luck! I think an area like this with not that many transplants takes a lot more time to get settled.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,394 times
Default New Yorker In Kenosha

I was transfered out her in 5/05 from Orange County NY (40 miles from NYC).

I absolutely hate it here. It depresses me. The people are rednecks, the pizza sucks and no one knows to drive. The men look dirty, covered in tattoos and obssessed with the motorcycles.

I know I sound like a huge snob, sorry, but it's just how I feel. the only thing keeping me here is I met a girl here and we are engaged. She loves her hometown. If for some reason we broke it off, I'd be on the first flight out of this god forsaken place!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,184 times
I came from California and I gotta say, Madison is one of my favorite places in the world. I had huge misconceptions about the place before I went, but I was mistaken. The hicks are all friendly and nice (so it's affectionate, in a way), it's a liberal, progressive college town...great places to hang out, from the Terrace to just State Street. The Eastside does kind of suck, but everywhere else is just beautiful. Well actually, the redeeming thing for the Eastside - it's got the cleaner Woodmans! Springtime is great, when the snow finally melts and you see the sun for the first time in like five months...haha.

But that was college. I'm gone now, but I miss the place and the people...

Old 10-20-2007, 04:13 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,126 times
NY, I would suggest moving to Chicago, not that far away, if you really need that NY atmosphere. Chicago is NY-lite, with all the culture, and 1/3 the congestion. If it makes you that sad, it will eventually effect your family-life, if it hasn't already...most people from Chicago would prob feel as high-and-dry in Madison as you......I know people that relocated to small towns from big cities, which is the ultimate hell. Try dealing with a population of 6,000 and a tiny downtown for 6 years. I can think of far worse places than Madison if you have to stay. I mean, come on, it was ranked best place to live in the USA several times, so how bad can it be? Appreciate what you have now....it is very safe, friendly(try to mix a lot more, sounds like you stay in all the time, which isn't helping things)city. If you fully avail yourself of what there is to do, particularly cultural stuff at the university, you shouldn't be bored and/or sad. I could live just on all the awesome free lectures at the university, let alone the concerts, live theater, and such.
If it makes you feel better, there are people from all over in Madison. Try to adapt to your situation, and stop fighting it. It sounds like your husband got a great job here, if you were willing to come here from NYC. Its a really sweet place, and great for your son to grow up in. Very stimulating for adults and kids as well......and there is always chicago a 2 hour drive away if you need a week-end of NYC fix in Chicago.......... Be cool and make the best of your situation. Stop feeling melancholy for NYC as well. Many would love to get the hell out of there and live in a safe, sweet environment like Madison! It's all good, don't worry!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:35 PM

135 posts, read 548,142 times
Madison had a mayor from NY in the 1970's--Paul Soglin.

Old 11-23-2007, 12:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearringtonflash View Post
Madison had a mayor from NY in the 1970's--Paul Soglin.
1) Soglin was born and raised in Chicago;
2) He was also mayor through most of the 90s.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 PM

966 posts, read 2,445,333 times
For all that I love about Madison, the one thing I do miss about NYC is the poetry scene. Maybe I will be able to help this to happen more here, but not until I get more on my own feet. In the meantime, I will continue writing and publishing, with my eye on my next visit back to NYC, where I will perform, participate, and soak it all in. I will also support the poets I meet here in Madison, even though there is a part of me longing for that NYC poetry scene that no one seems to know about here--and I do not mean hip hop or quiet poetry recitals. These are fine. I mean performance poetry, often with music, always with a message, performed vocally and physically from the heart and the soul.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
^^ Just curious, have you checked out the poetry scene in Chicago as a stop-gap until you (hopefully) get something set up in Madison? I don't know how active the scene is here except to say that I have been to a couple of "poetry slams" at the Green Mill night club (supposedly where the "poetry slam" concept first started), but if you can find something here you wouldn't have to wait until you can make it back to NYC to get your poetic itches scratched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison