Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what you're really asking or hoping to get out of your post as it seems to have veered off in different directions but...

Regarding your number 1. statement, I don't think that is exclusive to Madison. Chelito listed several reasons, many of which could apply in anywhere USA.

I am not over protective of Madison and I feel there are more charming and beautiful places.

As far as race relations...I grew up in Verona and Waunakee where there were no other races besides caucasion during the 60's thru early 80's. I also resided in Madison during some of those years, and there were very few minorities at that time, so I guess we know what we live.

At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, it doesn't help that often when there are crimes reported in the media the suspects are often of a certain race.

I tried out a new hair salon recently and got a black stylist, who by the way is good at her trade. I will be direct and admit I feared she would not be as experienced with caucasion hair, but shouldn't have worried. She commented to me that Madison is not a place to go out clubbing, that really you can only go out "drinking".

I don't think Madison will probably ever have the poetry type venues you're seeking, as the style of the city won't support it over the long run.

I try to be fair and judge people on their acts, not their ethnicity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 12:33 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I'm not sure what you're really asking or hoping to get out of your post as it seems to have veered off in different directions but...

Regarding your number 1. statement, I don't think that is exclusive to Madison. Chelito listed several reasons, many of which could apply in anywhere USA.

I am not over protective of Madison and I feel there are more charming and beautiful places.

As far as race relations...I grew up in Verona and Waunakee where there were no other races besides caucasion during the 60's thru early 80's. I also resided in Madison during some of those years, and there were very few minorities at that time, so I guess we know what we live.

At the risk of sounding politically incorrect, it doesn't help that often when there are crimes reported in the media the suspects are often of a certain race.

I tried out a new hair salon recently and got a black stylist, who by the way is good at her trade. I will be direct and admit I feared she would not be as experienced with caucasion hair, but shouldn't have worried. She commented to me that Madison is not a place to go out clubbing, that really you can only go out "drinking".

I don't think Madison will probably ever have the poetry type venues you're seeking, as the style of the city won't support it over the long run.

I try to be fair and judge people on their acts, not their ethnicity.
Thanks for your honesty and your feedback, gold*dust.

This thread sure did veer off topic. I think because some of the suggestions I wrote were somewhat controversial. This is fine, but my original intention still stands. I was asking folks to offer tips, suggestions, words of wisdom, etc. for newcomers or transplants re life in Madison. Turns out this is not so easy for people to do--at least not yet. I hope that changes. I think getting stuck on the race factor is counterproductive, but maybe that's what people needed to process the most. It's a mystery.

What tips, suggestions, words of wisdom would you offer someone trying to make a go of it here in Mad City?

Old 01-18-2010, 02:30 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Ooops, sorry, I think I started to derail the train a while back.

Well, to go back to the thread, I think my advise would be to embrace outdoor activities, even during winter....because it will allow you to have interaction with others. Take up walking or jogging, get out to the football games and just get caught up in whatever the local hype is, because Madison is a one event kind of town, meaning whatever is happening is probably it for the moment and most people will participate or know someone who did...and this will once again, give you a social outlet and link to the area.

The more outdoorsy and environmentally friendly you are, the better. If you like UW sports, you will also have a blast. Get to know the areas around Madison as well like the Dells, Devil's Lake, small little towns...and explore the uniqueness of the area. Inquire about local quirks and culture and people will go on about them (can we say ego massage lol?) but it is very disarming and will help people open up to you. Basically, as a newbie, you will have to be the first one to make the move and initiate first contact lol.

Be friendly to strangers and you will be shocked at how nice they will treat you back. Common courtesy here is very important, so even if it means smiling or saying hi to a passing stranger, you will give off a nice vibe and it will be reciprocated. Niceties like holding doors, letting people cut in, etc are very common and if you don't go with the flow, you will be viewed as being rude, so you really have to give a little and get a little, or else you won't be clicking on the same level as a lot of people.

If you tend to be a loner or keep to yourself, you will probably have more negative social experiences and opinions about Madison...but if you have different experiences or opinions, find a way to share them without raining on the Marvelous Madison Parade. It isn't worth alienating yourself because other people may be caught up in a self-fulfilling prophecy (remember, "they" are in the majority here lol).

Those are my thoughts and *trying* to keep in spirit of the thead. Any more from anyone???

Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Ooops, sorry, I think I started to derail the train a while back.

Well, to go back to the thread, I think my advise would be to embrace outdoor activities, even during winter....because it will allow you to have interaction with others. Take up walking or jogging, get out to the football games and just get caught up in whatever the local hype is, because Madison is a one event kind of town, meaning whatever is happening is probably it for the moment and most people will participate or know someone who did...and this will once again, give you a social outlet and link to the area.

The more outdoorsy and environmentally friendly you are, the better. If you like UW sports, you will also have a blast. Get to know the areas around Madison as well like the Dells, Devil's Lake, small little towns...and explore the uniqueness of the area. Inquire about local quirks and culture and people will go on about them (can we say ego massage lol?) but it is very disarming and will help people open up to you. Basically, as a newbie, you will have to be the first one to make the move and initiate first contact lol.

Be friendly to strangers and you will be shocked at how nice they will treat you back. Common courtesy here is very important, so even if it means smiling or saying hi to a passing stranger, you will give off a nice vibe and it will be reciprocated. Niceties like holding doors, letting people cut in, etc are very common and if you don't go with the flow, you will be viewed as being rude, so you really have to give a little and get a little, or else you won't be clicking on the same level as a lot of people.

If you tend to be a loner or keep to yourself, you will probably have more negative social experiences and opinions about Madison...but if you have different experiences or opinions, find a way to share them without raining on the Marvelous Madison Parade. It isn't worth alienating yourself because other people may be caught up in a self-fulfilling prophecy (remember, "they" are in the majority here lol).

Those are my thoughts and *trying* to keep in spirit of the thead. Any more from anyone???
Nice Chelito. Wow. I think you just helped a lot of people.

From my own experience so far (four months and some change), I would add that you can also meet new people at work, in classes, the public library, poetry workshops, and by helping to judge or volunteer at poetry slams.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
While Madison is not the Diversity Mecca™ it likes to think it is and/or conspicuously strives to be, you make it out as though people of color are a novelty, as if there's anyone in Madison who has never seen or interacted with them before unless maybe they just arrived from North Dakota within the last few days. This strikes me as a little far-fetched. Yes, some attempts at the "cross-cultural exchange" can be ham-handed, but take it as a sign that they're "trying." Seems better than the alternative.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
While Madison is not the Diversity Meccaâ„¢ it likes to think it is and/or conspicuously strives to be, you make it out as though people of color are a novelty, as if there's anyone in Madison who has never seen or interacted with them before unless maybe they just arrived from North Dakota within the last few days. This strikes me as a little far-fetched. Yes, some attempts at the "cross-cultural exchange" can be ham-handed, but take it as a sign that they're "trying." Seems better than the alternative.
Thanks for your post, Drover. I too like that many Madisonians are trying, but since we've already discussed this issue to near death (lol...jeez), let's get back to my original question. Racial issues aside for the moment, unless you have a new idea to offer, what other pieces of advice would you suggest for newcomers--not just me or other people of color. In a broader sense or deeper sense, and especially in terms of adjusting in a healthy way to the Madison lifestyle, what tips would you offer?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nala8 View Post
Thanks for your post, Drover. I too like that many Madisonians are trying, but since we've already discussed this issue to near death (lol...jeez), let's get back to my original question. Racial issues aside for the moment, unless you have a new idea to offer, what other pieces of advice would you suggest for newcomers--not just me or other people of color. In a broader sense or deeper sense, and especially in terms of adjusting in a healthy way to the Madison lifestyle, what tips would you offer?
Bring a parka.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Bring a parka.
Ha ha ha. Very funny. Now try adding to that, seriously. I know insomnia sucks, Drover, but why not go with that thought beyond the jokes and cynicism? What would you suggest in terms of surviving the winter and enjoying Madison in light or in spite of the cold, ice, snow, etc.?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 AM

I realize this is your thread and and that entitles you to certain latitude in directing the conversation and all, but I've said as much as I care to say for now.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
I realize this is your thread and and that entitles you to certain latitude in directing the conversation and all, but I've said as much as I care to say for now.
Ah, c'est damage. I understand. Good night, Drover; or rather good morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison