Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:01 PM

47 posts, read 166,662 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I'm 28, live 2 feet from the Cap Square, and live a social/recreational/weekend life that has very little to do with the University, as in, the same things I do here are what I'd do anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 PM

1,741 posts, read 5,378,831 times
We have a pretty active folk/indie scene. What's really cool is you can often see performers in a smaller venue here.

Majestic Theatre
Barrymorelive Theatre - Home
High Noon Saloon - Home
Crystal Corner Bar (try to ignore how bad the web site is....)

Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM

48 posts, read 101,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Why rent? Buy a house - I'll bet the market is wide open.
We are moving to madison in July as well and it's not as wide open as you think. There seem to be a lot of houses on the market, but there are not the bargains like in other areas of the country.

Starlight, from your moving schedule it sounds like you're coming for a residency or fellowship. I am not single, but we have no kids and are in early 30s. I am taking a job on faculty at the medical school, and we were concerned about the same thing. Especially after coming down for our first visit on homecoming weekend (!). What we found though is that there are 2 distinct sides to Madison, the crazy college town part and the other more upscale (for lack of a better word) side. On our subsequent visit we went to go see a band, had nice dinners saw a show and saw nary a college student. It seems like it will be a good fit for us. But that may be because I am not worried about finding a spouse. It's also not going to be Boston, but the traffic will be better.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:00 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,405,653 times
Starlight, you should do fine in Madison. Atwood/Willy St. area is fun, but where will you work? Driving through the isthmus and downtown every morning and afternoon can be sort of annoying, but you do get to see the capital and lakes each day. The Monroe St. and Vilas neighborhoods also have a fun vibe. They may have more undergrads than the the Atwood/Willy St. area, but in general the further you get from campus, the less students you find, so it is possible to live in parts of the area without the prevalence of college students. However, you are even more likely to run into the Aug. 14 lease thing in this area.

A lot of young singles also live out in newer apartment complexes toward Middleton and Verona because they work in the Old Sauk Trails business park or for Epic Software in Verona.

Since there are so many young people in Madison from all over the place, it shouldn't be tough to meet people in a similar age group. You'll likely meet people at your work, in your neighborhood, in the Madison music scene or in various clubs, nonprofits or churches to be involved in. Blackhawk Church on Madison's West side (technically Verona) has a ton of single people in their 20's and 30's.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,637 times
I was born and raised in Eau Claire, WI (2.5 hours northwest of Madison) and lived in Madison, WI for undergraduate nursing education from July 2000 to August 2003 and loved every minute of it. Please take note that I was an older, non-traditional-aged undergrad student (graduated at age 29) therefore, I DID NOT partake in the undergraduate college-life scene but still had a wonderful social network. One surprising fact of Madison is the cultural diversity that exisits there (for a mid-size Wisconsin town anyway!). Many of my close friends were medical students and graduate students from other countries, mostly South American countries. My fondest memory is being introduced/learning salsa dancing, which, I might add, I became quite good at!

I noticed a reference to Blackhawk Church (above) which prompted me to reply to your post. Blackhawk Church is a magnificent welcoming church and would recommend it highly. I attended on a regular basis. The Senior Pastor, Dr. Chris Dolson is an AMAZING pastor and well loved by the congregation and community. It is true that there is an ever expanding and vibrant 20s/30s singles groups at Blackhawk (much bigger and more active now compared to when I attended) and the fellow pastors do a terrific job.

One down-side though... Madison, as a whole, is a perpetually young twenty-something town and thus it is hard to find a 30-something mate for that reason. I felt that way at age 29 and it was one of the reasons why I left. Please do not let this discourage you too much since the advent of social networking makes it much easier for you to meet like-minded individuals then it was for me. Also, Blackhawk Church has relocated and became a much bigger church then when I attended 7 years ago.

I have since re-located to the Twin Cities for grad school and often entertain the idea of re-locating back to Madison. I still get to watch/listen to Blackhawk Church sermons online (which my husband has really enjoyed very much).

No matter what your religion, political preference, educational background, etc, everyone loves Madison. There is really is something for everyone there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin > Madison