Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2010, 09:17 AM

64 posts, read 208,855 times

Advertisements

I have some loonies and toonies that I would like to exchange for US dollars. Which banks have been exchanging at the rate of a loonie for a dollar? Am I better suited finding a bank close to the Canadian border or does it not matter much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:24 AM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
This may sound loonie (), but they are trading almost equal, but not quite.
Since the conversion changes frequently, I'd call your local bank.
Currency Calculator

Old 06-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Currency Calculator
I was aware of that closeness to parity. Not all banks track the exchange rate in-person at their branch like that and some might just have a premium fee even if the loonie gets stronger than the USD. If the loonie gets stronger to the point where it takes more than one USD to buy one, I'll see if TD Bank gives the best rate. I am talking about exchanging small amounts of loonies per a bank visit. The ones that trade 1:1 would be the best to find though.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:42 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Currency Calculator
Wow. That calculator shows that an American dollar is worth slightly more than the Canadian.

It wasn't that long ago the Canadian was worth so much more, people were driving from Canada into the U.S. to do their shopping.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticHomeland View Post
I was aware of that closeness to parity. Not all banks track the exchange rate in-person at their branch like that and some might just have a premium fee even if the loonie gets stronger than the USD. If the loonie gets stronger to the point where it takes more than one USD to buy one, I'll see if TD Bank gives the best rate. I am talking about exchanging small amounts of loonies per a bank visit. The ones that trade 1:1 would be the best to find though.
The further away from the border the better, maybe. Living in Aroostook County for years, I never saw a gas station that exchanged 1:1, let alone a bank. ALL the banks, branches, etc... closely follow the exchange rate.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Back when the loonie was worth about 75 cents, US the mall in Bangor used to advertise "Canadian at Par" and bus loads of Canadians would come for the weekend.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Back when the loonie was worth about 75 cents, US the mall in Bangor used to advertise "Canadian at Par" and bus loads of Canadians would come for the weekend.

The loonie is stronger now. Roughly equals 97 cents US. I think it was autumn of 2007 when the loonie was nearly equal to $1.25 US. Not sure how the correlation works, but the stock market made a high back then. Maybe just a weakening US dollar in general?

Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,260 times
I think must banks will strictly follow the exchange rate nowadays.

But if its not a lot of money, maybe you could buy something really cheap and pay with a large bill, and then the vendor may give you the change in US dollars at a 1:1 rate. I know that happened to me a few times when crossing the Quebec-New York border. But that was a couple of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine