Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:58 PM

8 posts, read 18,277 times

Advertisements

Hi

Me my wife have been talking about moving from TN we live in the great smoky mtn in sevierville, I do maintenance work for a resort. Main job is cleaning pools/ hot tubs/ repairing them and minor repairs in cabins. Pay is pretty good, but we have been wanting move up north for a while now. We have talked about Alaska and Maine. So we were wanting to know if there is any demand for my kind of work in Maine? If there is what part of Maine, I have my eye set for northern Maine around baxter state park. Would this area be good place to find my line of work? Me and wife love hiking, We have hike pretty much all the trails in the smoky guess over 900 miles, give or take. Baxter can give us something more to do for a while. Not looking for big city we like the pop to be around 10k to 15k and have some place to shop and good dining. Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 02:20 AM

3,467 posts, read 7,217,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankou View Post
Hi

Me my wife have been talking about moving from TN we live in the great smoky mtn in sevierville, I do maintenance work for a resort. Main job is cleaning pools/ hot tubs/ repairing them and minor repairs in cabins. Pay is pretty good, but we have been wanting move up north for a while now. We have talked about Alaska and Maine. So we were wanting to know if there is any demand for my kind of work in Maine? If there is what part of Maine, I have my eye set for northern Maine around baxter state park. Would this area be good place to find my line of work? Me and wife love hiking, We have hike pretty much all the trails in the smoky guess over 900 miles, give or take. Baxter can give us something more to do for a while. Not looking for big city we like the pop to be around 10k to 15k and have some place to shop and good dining. Hope to hear from you guys.

Thanks
There aren't any resorts like you are talking about and the population is lower than you seek in that area. You may need to look around Brunswick. I should tell you that there would be about 5,000 other people applying for that same job.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM

48 posts, read 112,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankou View Post
Hi

Thanks
AustinB is correct, there are really no towns that size around the Baxter State Park region. Shopping, well, there's atv's, guns, flyfishing, boating, and 55gallon drums of old donuts for your next bear baiting site in the backyard. Don't forget that power auger for the upcoming ice fishing season.
All kidding aside, perhaps you should come up to visit and scope things out. Unfortunately for you, this is a state of handymen, and that's by necessity. There's not enough money to hire out somebody to do the work for you.

Last edited by doegirl; 06-20-2010 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,882,518 times
The population of Millinocket, East Millinocket and Medway (which are all clumped together next to Baxter) is around 10,000. The area is down on its luck but I have a feeling it will bounce back. Real estate is very cheap around there. And there are a number of small resorts around there.
You might try Vacationland Estates in Island Falls (a time share complex).
That whole area is really nice. I think some places DO hire handymen.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,312,328 times
Actually its quite difficult to find a decent handyman to do work in Bar Harbor, maine. Now whether you could actually make a living doing this is something else. You would have to contact all the landowners on the island, and all the brokers and get on some kind of retainer for things that break down. Unfortunately, in Maine like mainy states, only licensed plumbers and licenced electricians, etc. can do those kinds of work. When we had our plumbing system rebuilt on the island, we were literally held up because the plumber couldn't connect the wires from the pump to the house wiring because it was against the law. As home owners, if we had been there, he could have told us what to connect and we could have done it, but we had to pay an electrician $200 to do it.

The reason why on MDI is that there are handy persons needed is that there are a lot of absentee landowners with renters in their property who are not handy at all. My renters are very nice people and we want to keep them as long as we can but don't have a handy bone in their bodies. When the toilet flusher broke we had to pay a handyperson $39 plus parts to fix it. I would have done that myself easily.

Zarathu

Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 AM

1,179 posts, read 2,483,996 times
Handymen, especially those with carpenter experience are hard to come by. Even in Washington county this summer, there has been more work going on than I have seen in 3-4 years. As someone told you, Maine is a state of handymen, out of necessity. Jobs are very hard to come by, and the resorts are few and far between.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,618,122 times
Potential handymen have to be aware of the new lead paint laws going into affect this year. Handymen will no longer be allowed to disturbe (scrape) any lead based paint from older homes without going to an EPA sponsored school and paying a $300.00 license fee. Older coastal homes will be hit especially hard as most of these old homes have lead based paint on their exteriors. Owners of these homes will be shocked to see their painting bills doubled and tripled while the local handyman refuses to do the work for fear of big fines from the EPA. The EPA is already looking for handyman and painter yard signs around these older homes to cite painters and handymen for compliance wit the new law. Stupid??? Yes!!! Your EPA at work.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM

701 posts, read 1,080,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Potential handymen have to be aware of the new lead paint laws going into affect this year. Handymen will no longer be allowed to disturbe (scrape) any lead based paint from older homes without going to an EPA sponsored school and paying a $300.00 license fee. Older coastal homes will be hit especially hard as most of these old homes have lead based paint on their exteriors. Owners of these homes will be shocked to see their painting bills doubled and tripled while the local handyman refuses to do the work for fear of big fines from the EPA. The EPA is already looking for handyman and painter yard signs around these older homes to cite painters and handymen for compliance wit the new law. Stupid??? Yes!!! Your EPA at work.

Really?!!! What would they do to a homeowner who is painting and repairing their own home?

I've read that 35% of homes in Maine are built before 1940.......so that would mean a lot of lead paint, right? and lots of people are DIYers.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Really?!!! What would they do to a homeowner who is painting and repairing their own home?

I've read that 35% of homes in Maine are built before 1940.......so that would mean a lot of lead paint, right? and lots of people are DIYers.

Well, the short answer would be that "DIYers" would just do it without permits - like since the dawn of time.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,151,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
And Nanny. Don't forget Nanny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine