Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times

Advertisements

Thanks Maureenb, as usual your help is priceless. I just had Ginger out to the farmers market. You can ride in her anytime. And remember, friends don't let friends drive Fords! I'm the only General Motors guy in my family. Everyone else is Ford! I was at a friends the other day and he has a 1964 4-door Fairlane for sale w/factory AC, the whole 9-yards. The wost thing about it was it was Carolina blue. I did not attend State Universities and will not promote their colors! Seriously, it was a beautiful car with dual exhausts, and every option, fairly resonable. I get caught up in the nostalgia of it all. Before Toyota and Kia were a household name. My son was riding with me in Ginger one day to Home Depot and said,"Dad, why do you drive all this old crap when you have a new truck in the yard", to which I replied,"Son, this makes me feel like I'm your age again!" Alas, my wife bought a Volvo a few years back, but hey-she's not American so it dosen't matter, right? I'f I wasn't saving for my transition to Maine, I might have added the 'lil Fairlane to the collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:13 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I currently drive a Ford pickup [I bought it 2 weeks ago], it's idiot light comes on whenever any of the gas caps are not fitted properly. [it has two gas tanks]

Is it possible that the gas cap problem was one of dashboard lights, and not an issue of vehicle inspections?
The place I got the truck inspected had a tester for the cap to see if it would hold pressure. It failed a couple of times. Once it was just the cap and twice I had to replace the filler pipes. One time replacing the pipe was because I replaced the whole gas tank.
I never had any dashboard indicators for emission problems.
The whole experience with that truck was not good.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
Why couldn't y'all drive to a part of Maine they didn't require the emissions testing? Is it done on a county basis.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM

34 posts, read 109,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
AustinB reports:
"Southern Maine has emissions testing."

Where do they do that? How do they do it and how far north does it go? I have never seen it.
Cumberland county.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:53 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
AustinB reports:
"Southern Maine has emissions testing."

Where do they do that? How do they do it and how far north does it go? I have never seen it.
Check the Portland area. I don't live there, I just know that they still do some kind of testing. It didn't all go away when it was so irratating for the rest of us. By the way, it was originally brought up because of the poor air conditions in Acadia park. The sample was taken on Isle Au Haut. We all know the traffic is horrendous out there.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:49 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,079 times
Stay away from the chain store repair places. I went to one 15 years ago and they wanted everything under the sun done on a relatively new vehicle to put a sticker on it. $275.00 back then. We stayed away after that, but last summer my son went back to the same chain (Bangor v. Brewer) and . . . same result. $275.00. Then he took it to a local shop, they went over it carefully and said "nope, none of those things needed to be done." Wife went to a chain repair place this spring bought 2 new tires, asked for inspection and they said something about $325 bushing repairs. I warned her. She said thanks, but no thanks, and got it done down the road.

I'm not saying jive the inspection system. I'm just saying getting a sticker in some instances has become a money grab for the "inspectors." Curiously always around $200 to $300 worth of work. Ball joints, idler arms, bushings and shocks are a favorite.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
One of my vehicles is a 1963 Chevy Pickup. It is my "Sunday riding truck." I mainly drive it to cruise in's and shows, but love it dearly.In my present state of residence I need no inspection. They allow me to display year of manufacture tags as long as I keep the current tag in the truck and keep the registration in the truck with proof of insurance. I wonder if it would be able to drive the roads of Maine wthout major hassels from DMV? Does Maine allow year of manufacture, or antique tags? I'm sure I'll have to tuck "Ginger" away during the winter.
My DH would love to have an antique pick up some day. He says it has to be red.

Yes, Maine does allow antique tags. I have a friend with a half dozen vintage cars and he has the special tags on each of them. Or he did. It's been 4 years since I lived there so it may have changed??

Old 06-21-2010, 03:24 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Check the Portland area. I don't live there, I just know that they still do some kind of testing. It didn't all go away when it was so irratating for the rest of us. By the way, it was originally brought up because of the poor air conditions in Acadia park. The sample was taken on Isle Au Haut. We all know the traffic is horrendous out there.

That's right, blame it all on us and the whole 15 cars out there, we're okay with it.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I don't think they are doing any more true emissions tests anywhere in the state now.
Since you can have your vehicle inspected anywhere in Maine why would you seek out a place that may test you for emissions? I know they do not do official emissions tests where I go in Freeport. They test the gas cap and do the regular inspection and that's it. If they emission test in Portland drive to Falmouth to get a sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine