Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:39 PM

7 posts, read 46,182 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was thinking of moving to Maine but I am not from there so I have no idea where to even look... Near the coast, woods or lakes would be great... not really looking to live in the city.

Anyways I would like to spend $600 - $750 a month in rent on 1 bederoom.. (or less!) With that said.. where would be the nicest / best location...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 PM

264 posts, read 759,003 times
Do you need to work? That is a huge factor if you need to find employment. If not, then there would be many options that are out rural

Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM

Hello thanks for quick reply,

I am self employed as web developer, So I would just need internet or wifi (3g) access to work and I will be good.

And perhaps what county or location or how do I even go about finding a place... Currently im staying at a hotel in colorado so im ready to go!

Last edited by The_iLL; 06-19-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2010, 03:09 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Maine is a pretty large State. I do think you could find a nice house to rent in your price range in the northern parts. You can start with craigslist and the Bangor Daily news. Good luck.
Real Estate Rental & Sale » Residential Rentals » Houses for Rent (Unfurnished) :: Classified Ads from Bangor Daily News :: Bangor Daily News Classifieds

Old 06-19-2010, 06:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,033,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_iLL View Post
Hello thanks for quick reply,

I am self employed as web developer, So I would just need internet or wifi (3g) access to work and I will be good.

And perhaps what county or location or how do I even go about finding a place... Currently im staying at a hotel in colorado so im ready to go!
High speed internet may be a rarity in most of the state--especially in the more affordable areas.

And even if high speed is available, it may not be available for the exact place you want to rent (and as others on this board have discovered, having someone at the cable company tell you it's available, is no guarantee they know what they're talking about).

Then if you do find it, try to find out how long you might be without it if a bad storm comes around or if the service suffers some other form of outage.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:18 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
It does vary greatly. I have high speed internet at my camp which is so far out that there is no cell service. Some people can't get high speed internet in medium size towns unless they go with satellite. Be sure before you settle on a place.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,350 times
I used to live in Maine. Some of the place you might want to check out are Kenneybunkport where you should be able to get internet with no problem. Further up along RT1 are places like Boothbay Harbor; Wiscaset; Warren; Friendship; Linconville. All are near some water, but are not right on the water. You should be able to find some decent rents in any of those places. Also check out Paris in the western part of the state. Up near Bangor would be places like Lowell a small town but you may be able to find something there. Land is very cheap in Lowell area and further up. It's been a while since I've been there, but I doubt much has happened as far as changes.

There is a weekly thing called UNCLE HENRY'S and you will get a good idea of Maine and even some surrounding states. It's an advertisement booklet that comes out every week. I found a realtor and sold my land in that thing. It's just the greatest. Check that out.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks!
What I might do is get a hotel in Bangor that sounds like a good possibility... Now I just need to find a hotel that will let get a monthly rate real cheap in that area. (like $750 or less) till I can find a place to live... afterall I dont even know the area...

I guess you would recommend I drive so I bring my car with, otherwise if its away from a town I wont be able to eat or buy things... Id much rather fly there, but I need a car when im there.. Let just hope it can handle 1700 miles nonstop!

So far thats what might be the idea.. then go from there

Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Ok I actually decided to fly! Its only $280
Also found a hotel for $700 / month till I am settled and find a more extended plan!
While I am in hotel I will look for a car to buy. (if anyone has one cheap for sale) haha
Thanks again for suggestions.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When we first moved here we had no difficulty finding a 2bdrm apartment for $600.

For a while we were looking at purchasing an apartment building in the Bangor area, and we were seeing many apartments that were being rented in that price range or lower. However we have not been looking for a while.

You really need to be here to do your search.

And you need to speak with the phone company to ensure that of what they provide to a given address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine