Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 07:25 PM

56 posts, read 139,721 times

Advertisements

While driving up Route 1 to Freeport, we came across this little roadside stand called Cindy's. We pulled over and had the fried clams. They were the best I had ever had. Even better, the owner Bob, sat down and ate with us and told us about his 30 years of experiences in the business. Cindy's is in Freeport about a few miles south of the main shopping area. If you are passing by, don't let the run down look fool you...stop in and have some of the best seafood you will find anywhere on the planet!
Attached Thumbnails
The Most Amazing Fried Clams-dsc_0079.jpg   The Most Amazing Fried Clams-dsc_0080.jpg   The Most Amazing Fried Clams-dsc_0081.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:38 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,932,038 times
Now that looks about right. A place for clams doesn't need to be all gussied up. Glad you liked em! We'll be in and around Bath this fall and should take a swing over toward Bailey Island and Freeport at some point. We shall take this as one solid recommendation. And thanks!

Old 07-06-2010, 09:47 PM

56 posts, read 139,721 times
Here is a little more info I found on Cindy's and it has a few pictures of the owner: Cindy's Fish N Chips

Old 07-06-2010, 11:20 PM

63 posts, read 136,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
Now that looks about right. A place for clams doesn't need to be all gussied up. Glad you liked em! We'll be in and around Bath this fall and should take a swing over toward Bailey Island and Freeport at some point. We shall take this as one solid recommendation. And thanks!
Good choices for places to visit! Midcoast is a stunning area. I spent some time living on Bailey and now live around Bath - both are beautiful areas. I have a lot of my photos on a photo blog and you can see everything taken since October was either on Bailey or around Bath.

If you go to Bailey, make sure to stop by BIGs (they're right on the main road). They make a great breakfast and have different lunches everyday - great people and it's family run. Some must-visits are Land's End, Cedar Beach (you have to park and walk to access it), and Potts Harbor over on the other side of Harpswell (Harpswell Neck).

In Bath, travel down the peninsula and visit the pier on Five Islands and have some great food at Five Islands Lobster there....it's at least worth the scenic drive. Reid State Park is a nice stop as well, especially after 6pm when the beaches are cleared out and you get some nice sunset light.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Try the Bagaduce fried clams just above Castine on the Bagaduce River. Best I have ever had.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Cindy's is just OK IMO. We live in Freeport and rarely eat there. I'd rate Cindy's fried clams as "fair". I've had much better fried clams. The owner has been grumbling about having to move from Main Street to Route One for 20 years. A portable version of the shack part that they cook in used to be where the entrance to the new shops are in downtown Freeport. It was pretty busy back then but a prominent business man who owned the property next to him did not like the smell of the fried food and the greasy mess on the sidewalk so he convinced the town to ban Cindy's from the main street. Cindy's has been on route one ever since. They added the charming trailer dining area soon after. The owner of Cindy's used to post the names of town officials and business men he disagreed with on a letter board on the side of the road saying "So and So your lunch is ready at Cindy's". It got old.
Don't try stopping there on Saturday as they are Seventh Day Adventists and the place is closed.

Last edited by Maineah; 07-07-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 05:26 PM

155 posts, read 125,608 times
Go to Crosby's on Rte 46 out of Bucksport. Yum!

Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Try the Bagaduce fried clams just above Castine on the Bagaduce River. Best I have ever had.
I'll vote for these, also honorable mention for clams at Sea Basket, Wiscasset.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
The best fried clams I have ever eaten were made by me in my own kitchen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine