U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 06:24 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,083,430 times

Advertisements

Last night we went to a lecture by Ralph Stanley, in Southwest harbor, not on Boat Making, but on fiddle making.

Apparently Ralph has been dabbling in fiddle making for more than 60 years. he's one of the most famous American wooden boat makers.

He also played some fiddle tunes aith a small pick up group of a guitar and a mandolin.

He's not be be confused with a Violin Maker.

Zarathu
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM

3,638 posts, read 5,789,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Last night we went to a lecture by Ralph Stanley, in Southwest harbor, not on Boat Making, but on fiddle making.

Apparently Ralph has been dabbling in fiddle making for more than 60 years. he's one of the most famous American wooden boat makers.

He also played some fiddle tunes aith a small pick up group of a guitar and a mandolin.

Zarathu
Ohhhh...the fiddle vs. violin wars...I was told by a friend of mine who played both : "The difference between a fiddle and a violin is that nobody cares if you spill beer on a fiddle."

There are lots of craftsman like him who have a niche hobby. It makes me wonder if Antonio Stradivari might have dabbled in making boats.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,902,281 times
Quote:

Zarathu
From the beginning of Chapter 24, "Fiddling for Fun," of the book, "Ralph Stanley" by Craig S. Milner and Ralph W. Stanley ( https://secure.downeast.com/store/pr...?productid=890 ):

"Besides boatbuilding, one of my main interests is music. I've learned how to play the fiddle, I can play the banjo a little bit, and I can play chords on the piano in certain keys.

"I never had any lessons, but my grandmother was musical. Way back when I was a kid, she had a fiddle, and she could play a few little tunes. I was fascinated by it. I used to get her to dig it out now and then and play something.

"Then when I was going to school in Houlton, there was a fella there who could play. So, when I came home I dug out that old fiddle to see if I could do anything with it. I kept fooling around, and I got so I could pick out a few tunes. Then my mother got me a fiddle of my own . . . . "

Old 07-10-2010, 07:46 AM

1,922 posts, read 4,083,430 times
Some of us winced when we heard that Ralph was putting polyurethane on the violins instead of varnish.

And Ralph said he never has a lesson in his life as a player. Having been classically trained by my Julliard trained father, I would have to say that his posture and position was horrible. But then he is a world class boat builder, not world class violin maker. When I was a kid we went to a local violin maker who over the past 50 years has turned into a world class violin maker: Ed Campbell at the Chimney's Violin Shop in Boiling Springs, PA. But Ed couldn't have made a boat to save his soul.

Fiddles are usually made with whatever wood that comes available and the same with all the parts. Violins are made in very specific ways with specific woods over a long developed time tested tradition dating back to the 1600's. They are two traditions equally OK in their own environments: one in with banjo's and guitars playing country, and the other in orchestras playing Stravinsky and Bach, and playing violin concertos of famous people like Beethoven and Pagininni.

Last edited by Zarathu; 07-10-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 01:32 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,902,281 times
Quote:
Some of us winced when we heard that Ralph was putting polyurethane on the violins instead of varnish.

And Ralph said he never has a lesson in his life as a player. Having been classically trained by my Julliard trained father, I would have to say that his posture and position was horrible. But then he is a world class boat builder, not world class violin maker. When I was a kid we went to a local violin maker who over the past 50 years has turned into a world class violin maker: Ed Campbell at the Chimney's Violin Shop in Boiling Springs, PA. But Ed couldn't have made a boat to save his soul.

Fiddles are usually made with whatever wood that comes available and the same with all the parts. Violins are made in very specific ways with specific woods over a long developed time tested tradition dating back to the 1600's. They are two traditions equally OK in their own environments: one in with banjo's and guitars playing country, and the other in orchestras playing Stravinsky and Bach, and playing violin concertos of famous people like Beethoven and Pagininni.
If I remember correctly, Ralph Stanley is a self-taught boatbuilder as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine