Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 12:19 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times

Advertisements

I like a beer once in a while at a Fair or Festival. Many Fairs and Festivals frown on beer gardens or wine bars. Some readily embrace them. The Yarmouth Clam Festival went "family" in the 80's and stopped the beer garden. Freeport's 4th of July celebration recently allowed a beer tent for the first time sponsored by a local brewery. The Cumberland Fair has a little beer bar at the horse track but Windsor Fair is bone dry as is the Common Ground Fair (unless you're a homebrew judge!!). There doesn't seem to be a real rhyme nor reason as to whether adult beverages are available at Maine Fairs and Festivals.
On a recent trip to California I was amazed (and happy) to see that every little Festival had a number of beer and wine tents. Folks mentioned Maine favorably as a place they wanted to go though when I told them most Maine Fairs and Festivals do not have adult beverages available they thought we lived in the dark ages around here.
What have your experiences been in Maine??? Perhaps I need to look elsewhere in the state for a "better" fair!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 12:31 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
Not sure about any of the others but the American Folk Festival has a beer tent.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:33 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
In CA, one could probably smoke a joint along with that glass of beer.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol; I'm just not into the taste. However, I'm getting a little tired of the morality police always looking in our bedroom windows or telling us what we can't eat, drink, smoke, drive, shoot, read, think, say.

As long as you don't throw up on my boots you can drink whatever you want, you have my permission, WTF maybe I'll join you for a couple by then.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,717,042 times
"Morality police" I have to admit, even though I am a former smoker, I found it frustrating to see people light up at the 4th of July festivals in Bridgton a few weeks ago.. there were only two of them out of thousands but they were sitting 3 feet in front of me and my 4 year old running around kept staring at them... And it was on School property so I know they were not allowed to do it.. I never smoked around children even when i would have been allowed too..

So here I sit getting ready to say something that some may find offensive.. At the end of the day "some" people need morality checks... or should I say some areas need morality police...

For the same prejudices people have had against Lewiston because of their overwhelming population of less then desirable characters and how that can overshadow the many positive things about that City which I have tried to bring to light... there may be similar issue's with certain events that some might be concerned about their own less then desirable taking advantage and or going to far..

Most of us can police ourselves and its a shame we have to have these laws/rules ect.. but time and time again I see situation where people are just not responsible.. tubing down the Saco a few weeks ago i saw folks drinking and not causing a problem.. but then I saw beer cans floating down the river and honestly I felt like knocking them over their head with an or.. ok not really.. But I was not pleased! do we need officers standing at the put in checking bags and such..

As a former police officer I always felt like the last thing we need is MORE laws.. but again its the few who ruin it for the majority!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:31 PM

163 posts, read 260,001 times
some good points flycessna, however I personally feel that there really needs to be, not only personal responsibility but also responsibility in the community, we used to be a place where neighbor would know neighbor, people would help people, and yes the community would police themselves. That being said I know sadly the world has changed, however I still believe in the fundimental thought that government should not rule the world (or the people) but the people should tell the government there place and take care of the rest themselves.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:30 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I am not sure exactly why Maine is generally against alcohol in public.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
A generation or more ago there was a tradition of settling scores at the fair. Saturday night was fight night and it got pretty rough. Even the women had knock down drag outs. I used to stand by in the ambulance to put steri-strips on the cuts before the next round started.

Then they outlawed beer at most fairs and cooler heads again prevailed. Just my personal experience and your experience may vary.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
We used to have a beer tent up here on Independence Day. Haven't had one in years. Where I grew up, the vendors sold beer out of ice filled trash cans on every street corner of the parade route. Now, its a dry affair. Bummer!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Coffee isn't even allowed at the Common Ground Fair but everyone goes outside the boundary where a coffee stand sells really good coffee. It's been a couple of years, maybe they changed the policy?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:37 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Coffee isn't even allowed at the Common Ground Fair but everyone goes outside the boundary where a coffee stand sells really good coffee. It's been a couple of years, maybe they changed the policy?
They reversed that policy last year.

The Common Ground Fair now has coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine