Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,402 times

Advertisements

I got my parents a mortgage because they have bad credit. So thier home is under my name. They got a trampoline for my nephews. I told them before they bought it that Liberty Mutual and most insurance companies will not insure a home with it on the property. They would cancel the policy if they would see it on the property. I was told agents sometimes drive around to see if the homes they insure are ok and they would take a picture of the trampoline if they saw it and cancel the policy. Even if the house burned down and they would see the trampoline they would not cover the house. And especially injuries to the kids and they have friends playing on it too. I got a letter from my agent stating this fact although i never told them there is one on the property. My father took it down. Well, a month later he decided to put it back up cause he felt bad for the kids. We got into an argument when i told him to take it down. Now i am the crazy person and mean to the kids. Are the insurance laws different state to state on these trampolines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:37 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Our former insurance company canceled the policy on our rental because the tenants had a trampoline. They found it when they did a drive by. It was behind a fence in the back yard. The agent must have seen heads bouncing over the fence. We didn't know they canceled until the bank called to ask us what we were planning to do about insurance.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Trampoline info here!

http://www.youtube.com/v/RJmIx7dLKk4...</param><param

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Somebody in Prentiss had one. The wind picked up the trampoline and blew it into high voltage wires. It took the power out in six towns. Eastern Maine Electric took photos of the smoking and melted trampoline way up in the air. It made the front page of the Lincoln News.

Hey; You can't make this stuff up. Only in Maine - - - -

Old 07-21-2010, 10:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
This is why you don't buy houses and rent to your relatives. You can't make sane business decisions because your relationship is in the balance. Our renters recently told us that they wanted to go on a month by month basis because it would be good for them as they try to build a house. What's good for them would be nice, but its not important to us. If they leave in the middle of the winter, I will probably not be able to find a renter until late spring. This will be great for them but horrible for us.

So we can say, "Alright we'd go with a contract that goes 7 months instead of 12." But if it was a relative, we would be at their beck and call.

Z

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
But if it was a relative, we would be at their beck and call.

Z
Maybe you would, but I do contracts with kin every bit as seriously as I do with strangers. Getting it in writing, and everyone signing on the dotted line, is a good way to minimize misunderstandings or forgotten details. Just ask my kids about the "family contracts" we wrote up, as occasion needed. As soon as they were old enough to be able to print their names, any and all cases of "you do this and we will do that" were detailed, put in writing and signed copies were each kept by the kid and the parent. You may laugh or think we were nuts, but it honestly kept tantrums, whining and parental nagging to a minimum. And yes, the kids held us to the letter of the agreement as often as we did them!

Old 07-21-2010, 12:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
So.... I had this contract written up with my daughter. I purchased this car for her and she was supposed to treat me like a bank and make interest free payments every month. It was all legal. Notarized and everything. After the second payment she failed to ever make any more payments again.

What would you have done? There was literally nothing we could do. She lived in another state 7 hours away. Legally we could have taken action, but what would that have done to our parent daughter relationship????

You were just lucky.

Z

Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdio View Post
I got my parents a mortgage because they have bad credit. So thier home is under my name. They got a trampoline for my nephews. I told them before they bought it that Liberty Mutual and most insurance companies will not insure a home with it on the property. They would cancel the policy if they would see it on the property. I was told agents sometimes drive around to see if the homes they insure are ok and they would take a picture of the trampoline if they saw it and cancel the policy. Even if the house burned down and they would see the trampoline they would not cover the house. And especially injuries to the kids and they have friends playing on it too. I got a letter from my agent stating this fact although i never told them there is one on the property. My father took it down. Well, a month later he decided to put it back up cause he felt bad for the kids. We got into an argument when i told him to take it down. Now i am the crazy person and mean to the kids. Are the insurance laws different state to state on these trampolines?
Yes, I know a couple of people who were threatened in writing for having a trampoline. Have you shown them the letter? Either way, it's in your name, so unless you also want to concern yourself with paying liability when (ask an EMT or ER worker about trampolines ) a kid goes sideways off it and breaks an arm, if I were you, I'd say "get rid of it or I will."

And as an aside, in my recent experience, our claims adjuster (LM) wouldn't grant our water damage claim because they blamed the contractor who installed the leaky atrium door that damaged our downstairs wall, and said we'd have to go back to him on it.

Never mind that it was installed over 3 years ago and the contractor is now dead.

I'm reasonably sure if the house burnt down tomorrow, they'd find a reason not to pay the claim.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
So.... I had this contract written up with my daughter. I purchased this car for her and she was supposed to treat me like a bank and make interest free payments every month. It was all legal. Notarized and everything. After the second payment she failed to ever make any more payments again.

What would you have done? There was literally nothing we could do. She lived in another state 7 hours away. Legally we could have taken action, but what would that have done to our parent daughter relationship????

You were just lucky.

Z
I'd have gone and got it. Yep. That's why I will probably never win "Mother of the Year" award, but I consider that part of my job as a parent - to teach my kids the consequences of irresponsibility when living in the real world. My kids know this.

That's not to say I may not pick up a clunker and donate it to them, but anything that concerns my name and credit gets paid for, and I personally don't pay for dead horses.

Oh, and I have lent money to relatives and friends before. Since they know my stance repayment, they've never failed to pay me back because they know full well that I'll help anyone in a pinch, but they better be prepared to uphold their end of the deal.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
As a retired insurance agent, I can tell you that the liability costs of having a trampoline are high, that's why most company's won't insure anyone with a trampoline among other things. Agents do not drive around looking for infractions, they don't have the time. More likely, an agent was on his or her way to insure another house or driving to work or home past your house, saw it and reported it.

There are many things that Liberty Mutual will not cover or insure - among them are certain breeds of dogs, snakes, certain kinds of outbuildings, etc.

If a child were to be hurt on said trampoline, the first money would come from the MedPay amount on your policy. That occurs whether it's a covered item or not. You would be held liable even if a child wasn't on a trampoline but crossing your yard, falling and breaking a bone. Secondly, your policy would pay off the balance of medical bills and either cancel your coverage or you might have to pay a much higher premium and be put in a substandard category rather than in preferred or standard.

Also remember, that if you decide to move your insurance policy to another company after such an accident, the new company will have access to your old records that will reveal the trampoline being on the premises and the letter warning you to take it down. You will never get decent coverage if that were to happen.

All in all, it's better to have good insurance coverage than to stubbornly allow the trampoline to remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine