U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,200 times

Advertisements

We are going to be in Maine for a week starting August 11. Where are the best sea food places? We don't care for fancy or expensive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:54 AM

611 posts, read 713,579 times
"Best place for lobster, Boothbay harbor, Camden, Bar Harbor?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan swanson View Post
We are going to be in Maine for a week starting August 11. Where are the best sea food places? We don't care for fancy or expensive.
Bar Harbor, Maine - The best lobster I've ever had anywhere.
Look for places called "Lobster Pounds" There are several around the area.
You chose the lobster you want, they cook it, you pick anything else that you would like off their menu. Salad, chowder, potatoes, corn on the cob, desserts, etc.
They also serve beer and wine. Quaint little places, good friendly people.
These are the best and most inexpensive places to eat fresh lobster.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,366,234 times
Conte's 1894 restaurant Rockland..

I am not sure how anyone can screw up a lobster but this restaurant I "hear" has awesome seafood.. I plan on going there soon! Anthony Bordain was there on his show recently and it gets rave reviews online..

Old 07-26-2010, 06:14 AM

740 posts, read 1,754,554 times
Trenton Lobster Pound has always been my favorite. It is located right before the bridge going to Mount Desert Island. Their blueberry pie is also great. Fresh Maine Lobsters, Clams, Sea Scallops and Crabmeat | Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound 04605
Another good spot is the Boothbay Lobster Wharf. It used to the lobstermen's co-op owned and operated by lobstermen. It doesn't seem to have changed any since the change of owner ship. Awesome location! Boothbay Lobster Wharf Wholesale and retail Fresh Seafood in Boothbay Harbor Maine

Old 07-26-2010, 06:38 AM

783 posts, read 1,449,426 times
Conte's is an experience, and the seafood is something to be reckoned with, but the overall experience is not for the faint of heart. I haven't been in since they've moved from the town landing to South Main St. in Rockland. The portions are HUGE. It is not hugely expensive. But, if I were taking friends out who were just visiting the area, and perhaps for the first time, Conte's wouldn't be my personal first choice of places to take them...just me, though! I do love Conte's!!!

I'm really rusty on the Camden eateries. Except for Cappy's, which is a destination restaurant for locals & visitors alike. It's where I would still go in Camden after 18 years - but I always get a cheeseburger or something like that, so I'm not much help with lobster/ seafood. Also, there are little places right down on the wharf on Camden Harbor where you can get a lobster dinner and sit outside. They have tented areas for inclement weather, and you can watch the action on the harbor.

If you're in Camden, and would like to see some of the area, the places I'm more familiar with are just south of Camden - Waterman's Beach Lobster, in South Thomaston, and Miller's Lobster Co., in Spruce Head. Waterman's has an enclosed area for foggy, drizzly days, but last I knew, Miller's was still picnic tables outside - something to ask about if you're thinking about going down on a cool or damp day.

Hope you have a great time in Maine!

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 AM

14,548 posts, read 13,042,848 times
Shaw's Wharf and Lobster Coop in New Harbor.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:49 AM

8,767 posts, read 17,391,841 times
I have found that most restaurants can boil water and melt butter. That's how hard it is to make fantastic lobster.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:47 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,415,060 times
Yeah it's not like it's a steak and can be cooked differently with different herbs and such. And I should be able to get it alot cheaper than market price if I have to shuck the dang thing myself.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,391,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Yeah it's not like it's a steak and can be cooked differently with different herbs and such. And I should be able to get it alot cheaper than market price if I have to shuck the dang thing myself.
Shuck? You "pick" Lobsters and Crabs and shuck corn, ( thanks Mermaid for that one) ,oysters,clams, quohogs, and scallops (pronounced scALLop not skALip).....you really should have known!!

Last edited by Maineah; 07-26-2010 at 01:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM

7,444 posts, read 14,790,922 times
see my post regarding recent visit:

//www.city-data.com/forum/maine...-friendly.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine