Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Great posts, Island Mermaid, Mommax3plus2, and Maineah! Probably not be what AuburnAL hoped to hear, but it is what it is and obviously not as simple or easy as many people think. Lobster fishermen are special people!
Nope probably not what they wanted to hear but better than showing up here and finding out afterwards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
One of my brothers lobsters parttime on Penobscot Bay. He got in before the regulations got too onerous, but every year he and his lobstering partner talk about quitting because it's so darn much trouble these days.

As for someone coming in from outside and getting into lobstering: Satan will be running a ski lift on Mount Hades before that happens. Lobstermen are extremely territorial and for good reason. Their long list of unwritten rules has maintained a healthy fishery while other states have seen lobster populations decline from overfishing. Maine lobstermen don't want to follow in those wakes.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
Where there is a will, there is a way. It may not be easy, but if it was everyone would do it.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:32 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Where there is a will, there is a way. It may not be easy, but if it was everyone would do it.
Not this time.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Not this time.
Don't quite buy that, I do know someone who will make it happen, no offense to you, I just know this person and his attitude.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:33 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Don't quite buy that, I do know someone who will make it happen, no offense to you, I just know this person and his attitude.
Good luck with that one, I take it you don't know Maine Loberstermen's attitudes and the industry.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:41 PM

You wonder how anything got done in this country with all the nay sayers.

Old 08-01-2010, 03:59 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
There was a guy in town rom outastate that did lobstering. He moved her from Mass in the 90's and got interested in it. Retired and just want someting to keep him busy. He started out as a stern man for a while then started with a few pots of his own. He foound out he had cancer a year or so ago and quite a few lobstermen around helped him and his wife out until he passed a month or so ago. They still help her out. THen again it's not Matinicus and lobstering isn't territorial. We're not as cramped in fishing area here. Some areas who fiishes wher is a matter of survival, letierally. But still, you don't just go blurting in.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:44 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Nobody is saying it can't be done. It just isn't practical for most. Two years minimum on the stern of a boat bagging bait and washing decks isn't fun. Then you have to wait for a license to become available which could be many more years. You don't make a lot as a sternman either so there is a survival thing too. Kids living at home make good sternmen as they have little need for money while they clock their hours. If someone really wanted to do it they could. I have no idea why anyone would want to do it that badly. It really is a nasty job, very hard work, and there is no gaurantee you will ever get a license.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
You're right, not a fun job and not many want to do it. And not practical for steady income. I know a guy gets off work in the morning and goes to the dock looking for a little extra money. He says he can always pick some up as a sternman and generally he's the only one looking. He has a heckuva work ethic though. 3 or 4 jobs going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: