Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Even the Vatican has made statements that there very well could be other life out there somewhere.
Unlike some Fundie groups, the Vatican has wisely decided that the vast mountain of evidence which has been compiled cannot be ignored, and that choosing to blindly stick to an untenable position would likely serve only to drive even more people away from Catholicism.

There are plenty of threads arguing Evolution/ID in the Philosophy & Religion forums. It would probably be best (and I think the Mods would agree) to go there if one wishes to get involved in such a discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
I'm unable to multi-quote...so....

…and they say intolerance is not universal. You invited me to expound, and I made an attempt. What’s with the anger?

“Hardly over MY head you seem to be the one living in a small universe”. I was using the words “deep” and “over your head” to make a play on words. It was not meant as a put down.

“Since you have no more conception of time then the rest of us what makes you think that over millennia, which may or may not be what the geniuses in the astronomy world depict it to be, this planet has not be visited by a race of beings far superior to us in technology and intelligence”. Because it is wishful thinking. Einstein’s concept of time was a streetcar ride.

“You cannot PROVE we have not been visited anymore that you can PROVE God does or does not exist or that there are not BILLIONS of planets in countless galaxies scattered all over an endless universe”. It is possible to believe either way, without proof.

“Step outside the next clear moonless night and look up. If you see anything then your empty bag theory is already pointless”. I was speaking of earth-like planets with intelligent life.

“We are NOT ignoring this planet when looking out THERE to see if anything else exists....quite the contrary as we all are the products of the elements made in stars....we ARE stardust”. You wandered down the lane and far away…..Leaving me a song that will not die…

“If you can believe that we are the only place in this universe where life has been created you have not yet opened your eyes”. And if we are, the same can be said for you.

“You also have NO concept of the vastness of the known universe! The mathematical possibility against us being the only life in the universe is infinitesimal”. Intelligent design removes mathematical probabilities.

“You REALLY need to broaden your horizons. A head in the sand sees only grains of sand!” A head in the stars needs a narrower focus on its horizons.

The bold print does not mean I am yelling.....I wasn’t kidding about those trigger words.
You have unwittingly made ALL of my points. Without traveling to the other galaxies which undoubtedly exist you cannot possibly know if there are any more planets out there among the hundeds of billions of galaxies with their hundreds of trillions of stars, surrounded (as they are finding now EVERYDAY)by trillions more planets of all shapes, sizes and classifications. To believe in an earthcentric universe is OK by me though IN MY OPINION shows a lack of logic and a certain "fear" that we MAY very well NOT be alone in the universe. Which if true.....opens up countless possibilities and scenarios both scientific and theological. It's akin to believing the earth is flat in this day and age....though you're free to believe as you wish.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:53 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
I KNOW we are not alone. I worked in Hangar 51 and even stole a few artifacts during my stint in the AF. We were transferring things from the SW to Dayton Ohio and security was lax. For $50,000 I'll let you take a look.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:49 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I KNOW we are not alone. I worked in Hangar 51 and even stole a few artifacts during my stint in the AF. We were transferring things from the SW to Dayton Ohio and security was lax. For $50,000 I'll let you take a look.
Well I ain't got $50,000 to spare but I'll take your word for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine