Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Gotta be careful getting out of the vehicle, don't you have a cup holder?

We saw a black bear crossing the road near our home a few weeks ago.

Sometimes a neighbor hear asks to hunt bear on my land, I hope he goes bear hunting this year, we could do with some more bear meat
Yeah but Foster's cans won't fit in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:44 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yeah but Foster's cans won't fit in it!
I got a drill bit that cuts a 6 inch diameter hole. We could cut hole in the plastic dashboard for you that would fit a fosters.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I got a drill bit that cuts a 6 inch diameter hole. We could cut hole in the plastic dashboard for you that would fit a fosters.

Thanks for the offer I'll just shoot them out the window and keep the can between the legs!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 PM

393 posts, read 981,872 times
Well here's why I asked the question originally: I live in the White Mts on the ME-NH border. There are many bears here. While out walking the other day I met a fellow who had just come from his bear baiting station on a neighbor's property. He told me that he's been begging the neighbor for years to allow him to lay bait, but it was only this year that the neighbor agreed. He said that 4 bears have been coming regularly (he has a camera trained on the area connected remotely to his computer, I guess a sort of outdoor webcam) and it will enable him to shoot a big male rather than a sow with cubs. However, I was wondering if by baiting, the bears get very used to human food and then start cruising the area looking for more. Another neighbor starting having a problem bear visiting on a regular basis, going on to his porch, disturbing an (empty) cooler, etc. Then last week the bear ended up in his home! Could this be due to the nearby baiting? The other thing I wanted to know is if there is some kind of hunting "etiquette" when training dogs in search of bears. There is a fellow who runs his hounds around our area at the crack of dawn and these dogs are LOUD! I'm not a late sleeper but being awakened at 5 a.m every morning is not so fun. I'm NOT against hunting, nor have I said anything to this fellow. Just wondering if this was typical this time of year- (I'm obviously new to ME).

Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
I have bears here (two, I think) and there isn't any baiting near my home. Bears are almost always on the move. Contrary to popular belief, they're very active during the day this time of year because they're gorging on food in preparation for winter.

Training dogs is part of life in Maine. You can check for local noise ordinances but will have to decide if causing a potential problem for someone who is earning a living is worth doing something about it. It's temporary but at 5 am, still annoying.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Default what else ya got in your cupboard?

Baiting close to homes is indeed a problem that falls into two categories, ethical and legal. While legal it may not be ethical. In the presence of conflict a legal knee jerk reaction can be fatal to local and statewide bear baiting as blanket solutions are often applied.......to be fair and avoid the dreaded slippery slope.

Coon hunting with hounds was a tradition down here until some locals ran afoul of a new resident. The tradition went away overnight. My new black and tan hound, Josie Wails, never got a chance to hunt.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
There is a fellow who runs his hounds around our area at the crack of dawn and these dogs are LOUD! I'm not a late sleeper but being awakened at 5 a.m every morning is not so fun. I'm NOT against hunting, nor have I said anything to this fellow. Just wondering if this was typical this time of year- (I'm obviously new to ME).
Since you're new to the area, is this a case of the fellow and his hounds being there first?

If so, I'd go to bed early enough to be up by 5 am, so long as doing so was compatible with my work schedule.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 PM

393 posts, read 981,872 times
Oh, I'm not feeling grumpy about it, and I wouldn't say anything to him, I was just wondering if this was a common thing that I should expect, and I guess the answer is yes. And yeah, we certainly do find ourselves going to bed a whole lot earlier in Maine - and waking at dawn or before.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
Oh, I'm not feeling grumpy about it, and I wouldn't say anything to him, I was just wondering if this was a common thing that I should expect, and I guess the answer is yes. And yeah, we certainly do find ourselves going to bed a whole lot earlier in Maine - and waking at dawn or before.
If you think the dogs are bad wait 'till the shooting starts! We have a target range here in my back yard. We have sighted in all of our rifles here for the last 23 years. Occasionally a new neighbor will complain to the police who always tell them it is not against the law. I anticipate that problem again this year as the house across the street was recently sold again. The new folks are NOT hunting types and I'm bracing for a confrontation with them over the rifle shooting very soon!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
If you think the dogs are bad wait 'till the shooting starts! We have a target range here in my back yard. We have sighted in all of our rifles here for the last 23 years. Occasionally a new neighbor will complain to the police who always tell them it is not against the law. I anticipate that problem again this year as the house across the street was recently sold again. The new folks are NOT hunting types and I'm bracing for a confrontation with them over the rifle shooting very soon!
LOL, lots of shooting goes on around here, in season, out of season, whatever.

I am most impressed by the out-of-season target shooters who only have time for 1 or 2 shots to sight-in and then are done for the day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine