Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,360,858 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm really ready to move. I know, I go through this. But hubby and I have just had it. We're hoping to be up in a couple years. Still not fast, but better than the 5 to 10 we'd accepted earlier.

I"ve got land saved on my RDC site in Eastport on Prime Street and Lovelace Street (has QV after the street - what does that mean? - Quoddy Village or something?), Machiasport (East Side Rd) and East Machias (Hanscom Rd), Pembroke (Little Falls Rd and East River Rd), Trescott (Havenhurst Rd) and Edmunds (Dennys River).

Of course I prefer Eastport.

So, all of the lots are waterfront or water view. If we go waterfront is there anything special we need to take into consideration? Are there questions we should be asking realtors? We're hoping to buy the lot now so we can build in the next year or so and move up. I have the completed floor plan (much to OutDoor Nuts dismay) so we just need the land and to start looking for contractors. Triple digit temps in the summer aren't doing it for me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 04:25 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,196,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ok, I'm really ready to move. I know, I go through this. But hubby and I have just had it. We're hoping to be up in a couple years. Still not fast, but better than the 5 to 10 we'd accepted earlier.

I"ve got land saved on my RDC site in Eastport on Prime Street and Lovelace Street (has QV after the street - what does that mean? - Quoddy Village or something?), Machiasport (East Side Rd) and East Machias (Hanscom Rd), Pembroke (Little Falls Rd and East River Rd), Trescott (Havenhurst Rd) and Edmunds (Dennys River).

Of course I prefer Eastport.

So, all of the lots are waterfront or water view. If we go waterfront is there anything special we need to take into consideration? Are there questions we should be asking realtors? We're hoping to buy the lot now so we can build in the next year or so and move up. I have the completed floor plan (much to OutDoor Nuts dismay) so we just need the land and to start looking for contractors. Triple digit temps in the summer aren't doing it for me anymore.
You need to know what the shoreland zoning rules are for the community that you are looking at. Most are just the state regs, but some have more restrictive rules.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You need to know what the shoreland zoning rules are for the community that you are looking at. Most are just the state regs, but some have more restrictive rules.
Thanks! I'll add that to my list.

I've got contact info for just about everyone that works in the Eastport permitting department. Their phones will be ringing off the hook tomorrow!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:05 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,853,350 times
You need to stop in City Hall where ever you end up and have a long talk with the code officer about shoreland restrictions, building codes (new state code coming out this year supposedly) and other such things. He should be able to give you a few names of contracters and such, too. While you're there you may as well talk to the assessor and see what the land is valued and taxed at. In Eastport the guy is real salt of the earth. Smart too.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Many shoreland communities will not let you cut trees that obstruct your water views. That is something to look in to. Also if you buy an existing home and plan to renovate you may be restricted to the footprint of the existing building.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:09 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,853,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Many shoreland communities will not let you cut trees that obstruct your water views. That is something to look in to. Also if you buy an existing home and plan to renovate you may be restricted to the footprint of the existing building.

The state has a ton of restrictions on this. 30%? That sound right? or 40%?

Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
here's a copy of maine's shoreland regulations

also, be sure to talk with the local code officer/authority before you start any building, some requirements may differ in different towns
good luck!!

http://www.maine.gov/dep/blwq/docsta...tizenguide.pdf

Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
The state has a ton of restrictions on this. 30%? That sound right? or 40%?
a one time 30% by volume addition may be added, always check with local code enforcement officer

Old 08-15-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
You need to stop in City Hall where ever you end up and have a long talk with the code officer about shoreland restrictions, building codes (new state code coming out this year supposedly) and other such things. He should be able to give you a few names of contracters and such, too. While you're there you may as well talk to the assessor and see what the land is valued and taxed at. In Eastport the guy is real salt of the earth. Smart too.
Great - thank you!

Robert Scott? Got his number!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
*grumble* Ok, that'll be an issue. I do want to see the water. Although I'd be happy to smell salt air and hear seagulls at this point, and walk to see the water. Would be nice to see it though.

I think we're pretty much set on building. It's looking like it's going to be a year round home. At least for now. So we might as well build what we want. It's small but for just the two of us, it's all we really need.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
JC3

296 posts, read 820,199 times
The best advice given so far is to go see the code enforcement officer. You won't be guessing or be given info that may apply to another town. You will get everything you need to know from the ceo for zoning, set backs, what trees can be taken down (may refer you to a forester), what distance from water you must be and anything else pertaining to your land and building codes.

Each town can be different and some ceo's may be not as stringent as others as long as you are within the code's parameters. We can all give you advice but the person to really speak to is the code enforcement officer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine