Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:06 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,871 times

Advertisements

Not many reported locations in Maine, yet (but I can tell you that so far only the tiniest fraction of actual infections for the New York City area on in this database http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/nyc, so likely it's also more widespread in Maine than is reported in this database): http://bedbugregistry.com/location/me/ (broken link)

But between the tourists and migrant workers, I would expect you'll be seeing more of these things.

And they are a major problem and expense to get rid of (it's common here in NYC for people to just throw out their possessions then to try to kill the bed bugs in them).

"The Bedbug Registry bedbugregistry.com is a free, public database of bedbug infestations. Use it to check for bedbug reports before booking a hotel room or renting an apartment."

http://bedbugregistry.com/

And for the record, here's the map for Boston: http://bedbugregistry.com/metro/bos

Last edited by OutDoorNut; 08-15-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
How do you figure out the idea to look for this stuff? So interesting!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
How do you figure out the idea to look for this stuff? So interesting!
I've been hearing increasing reports about the growth of this problem in the New York City area over the last ten or so years, and the last year it's growth has become alarming.

It's the worst for the people in apartment buildings, because if one tenent brings them home, the whole apartment building is at risk.

Getting rid of them is more difficult than getting rid of other pests, because insecticide does't stick to bedbugs like it sticks to other bugs, so bed bugs don't pick up insecticide when they walk over it.

So you have to spray insecticide right on the bugs.

When you realize that bedbugs hide in all kinds of cracks in the floor, walls, furniture, inside cusions, in the seams of clothing, drapery, and even inside computers, getting bug spray directly on them is a practical impossibility.

So the choice is either have your possesssions shipped to a warehouse where they can be gassed (like the office building was gassed for the anthrax germs following 911) or to throw everything out.

Most people find that throwing most of their stuff out is cheaper, so that's what they do.

I stopped buying used books and used furniture (although it's possible to get them from new books and new furniture--more than one high-end clothing store, for example, had an infestation in NYC recently).

I have even stopped buying clothing that needs to be dry cleaned.

Bed bugs have even been found riding in NYC buses and subway cars.

They'll probably turn up in taxis, too, if they haven't already done so.

In fact, I even worry about buying groceries--but I gotta eat.

I sure hope I make it out of here before I get these things.

(Before I move to Maine I want a guarantee that the moving van will be free of bed bugs, even if that means the moving van be gassed and I have to pay for it, before I put my stuff on it!)

Old 08-15-2010, 07:45 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
So far no hotels show up in Portland, but 2 in Bangor (surprisingly not the Travelodge there, which won the dubious honor last year on Tripadvisor's site of one of the top 10 dirtiest hotels, I do believe!)

Edited to add: I did believe correctly:
Dirtiest Hotels - United States
(based on TripAdvisor traveler reviews)
  1. Hotel Carter, New York City, New York
  2. Continental Bayside Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida
  3. New York Inn, New York City, New York
  4. Eden Roc Motel, Wildwood, New Jersey
  5. Days Inn Cleveland Airport, Brook Park, Ohio
  6. Days Inn Airport / Stadium Tampa, Tampa, Florida
  7. Travelodge Bangor, Bangor, Maine
  8. Velda Rose Resort Hotel, Hot Springs, Arkansas
  9. Ramada Plaza Hotel JFK International Airport, Jamaica, New York
  10. Days Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Old 08-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
So far no hotels show up in Portland, but 2 in Bangor (surprisingly not the Travelodge there, which won the dubious honor last year on Tripadvisor's site of one of the top 10 dirtiest hotels, I do believe!)

Edited to add: I did believe correctly:
Dirtiest Hotels - United States
(based on TripAdvisor traveler reviews)
  1. Hotel Carter, New York City, New York
  2. Continental Bayside Hotel, Miami Beach, Florida
  3. New York Inn, New York City, New York
  4. Eden Roc Motel, Wildwood, New Jersey
  5. Days Inn Cleveland Airport, Brook Park, Ohio
  6. Days Inn Airport / Stadium Tampa, Tampa, Florida
  7. Travelodge Bangor, Bangor, Maine
  8. Velda Rose Resort Hotel, Hot Springs, Arkansas
  9. Ramada Plaza Hotel JFK International Airport, Jamaica, New York
  10. Days Inn & Suites Gatlinburg, Gatlinburg, Tennessee
I'm starting to itch just thinking about this.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:19 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
I lead a very boring life -- I love to read the really bad reviews of nasty places!

Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
I don't know whether to go "Hmmm..." or just giggle at the link below.

Either way, bed bugs have been in Maine a while. Granted, they aren't close to what's going on in NY, but they've been watched and taken seriously here for at least the last 3 - 5 years that I've known of.

Certified Bedbug Dogs of New England Handler, Sarah Foster

Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
LOL, I've stayed at that Travelodge. While it is a real hole, it has nothing over the Caribou Inn and Convention Center which holds the title for worse/filthiest motel I have ever stayed in... anywhere. Maybe no bedbugs, but even bedbugs have standards I would guess. After working a job that I traveled all over the State of Maine for years and a stay in most towns and cities, that is a rather crappy title to own.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times
OK..... is there a serious life threatening danger from bed bugs? Rabies? syphillus? Hepititis C or F?

So get one of those handy dandy house gassers that they use for fleas and do the house. Also keeps the snakes and mice out too.

Z

Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
OK..... is there a serious life threatening danger from bed bugs? Rabies? syphillus? Hepititis C or F?

So get one of those handy dandy house gassers that they use for fleas and do the house. Also keeps the snakes and mice out too.

Z
I not sure those gassers work on bed bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine