Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
We'll leave a light on for ya.
You're so nice. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 12:22 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You're so nice. Thank you.
Shhhh. Don't tell anyone. I have a rep to maintain.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
for the past 18 winters Ive driven across maine, averaging 800 miles per week
I had snow-tires once, the rest of the time, just all season radials..... and Ive never been in a bender, you just slow down, be cautious, and have decent tread on your tires.

are snow tires better??
if you are really nervous about driving in the snow and never have-then yes.... for your own peace of mind
You need to look at the current information on the difference between all-seasons and winter tires. They are very very different than they were 18 years ago. Looking at the You Tube video reports of cars with and without winter tires shows how incredibly poorly All seasons do on ice, acceleration, stopping, and even just plain very cold road. No offense, but you have not stayed up with the differences.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
slyfox2--no offense but you seem obsessed with tire information lately...let some of the air out of them. mainebrokerman--I don't know how you've managed to get around on Maine roads all these years....and survived to tell about it.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
slyfox2--no offense but you seem obsessed with tire information lately...let some of the air out of them. mainebrokerman--I don't know how you've managed to get around on Maine roads all these years....and survived to tell about it.
Some might be luck- but you learn to reduce the risk with common sense, the first two times I drove up in the "county" I came back on rte 11 at night- which is one of the most dangerous roads in the state (at night) I had over ten sightings of deer and moose in the road between ashland and patten-one, very close call-all i saw was legs over a knoll and very lucky to avoid the moose ..and stay on the road- after that night, I avoided rte 11 driving at night- some parts of 95 are very bad too and many other roads.(if you have to drive at night, follow a big truck,- was my motto)
NMLM had it right, when he said slush is the worst to drive in-
Winter driving is all about the feel of the road and confidence of driving ( again, reducing un-necessary risks) years ago, I use to pass all the big scary trucks on 95....but all it takes is a couple times, either you are in a white-out and cant see, or, you are going wayyy too fast for the conditions- you learn quick.
but you also learn what not to do- if you slam the brakes on, you just killed your steering, etc.
you learn to read road conditions- on back roads-less travelled, you have black ice- you have sharp turns, but also its the bank, or grade of the turn, that can be the most dangerous, you read if sand is on the road, or this calcium stuff, you get up earlier and allow yourself more time to drive cautiously, than , leave the house, already late for work, and go faster than what is safe.
Because im on the road alot, I get to witness, many drivers doing everything but driving, when behind the wheel...one guy in a lincoln, was actually reading the paper as he drove north on 95- I see the cell phone users and texters everday, its scary-

I also see the memorials on 95 and other roads...everyday,(the crosses) and that sends a shiver of reality up your spine to be careful and cautious when driving

Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Remote and coastal or the western Maine mountains

Old 09-08-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
It seems we're fixated on snows and Subaru this month.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Some might be luck- but you learn to reduce the risk with common sense, the first two times I drove up in the "county" I came back on rte 11 at night- which is one of the most dangerous roads in the state (at night) I had over ten sightings of deer and moose in the road between ashland and patten-one, very close call-all i saw was legs over a knoll and very lucky to avoid the moose ..and stay on the road- after that night, I avoided rte 11 driving at night- some parts of 95 are very bad too and many other roads.(if you have to drive at night, follow a big truck,- was my motto)
NMLM had it right, when he said slush is the worst to drive in-
Winter driving is all about the feel of the road and confidence of driving ( again, reducing un-necessary risks) years ago, I use to pass all the big scary trucks on 95....but all it takes is a couple times, either you are in a white-out and cant see, or, you are going wayyy too fast for the conditions- you learn quick.
but you also learn what not to do- if you slam the brakes on, you just killed your steering, etc.
you learn to read road conditions- on back roads-less travelled, you have black ice- you have sharp turns, but also its the bank, or grade of the turn, that can be the most dangerous, you read if sand is on the road, or this calcium stuff, you get up earlier and allow yourself more time to drive cautiously, than , leave the house, already late for work, and go faster than what is safe.
Because im on the road alot, I get to witness, many drivers doing everything but driving, when behind the wheel...one guy in a lincoln, was actually reading the paper as he drove north on 95- I see the cell phone users and texters everday, its scary-

I also see the memorials on 95 and other roads...everyday,(the crosses) and that sends a shiver of reality up your spine to be careful and cautious when driving
You offer some great advice. I guess you know I was being sarcastic. One time a big Lincoln took his side out of the middle in slush and I had to go somewhere--did a nose dive (car included) in a snow bank....no damage. When I was a teenager, one of our favorite winter activities was practicing our snow, ice, and slush driving skills....if there is such a thing as driving skill when ice is involved....perhaps you've heard about white line fever...there's also white out fever. It's NOT all about the tires.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
You offer some great advice. I guess you know I was being sarcastic. One time a big Lincoln took his side out of the middle in slush and I had to go somewhere--did a nose dive (car included) in a snow bank....no damage. When I was a teenager, one of our favorite winter activities was practicing our snow, ice, and slush driving skills....if there is such a thing as driving skill when ice is involved....perhaps you've heard about white line fever...there's also white out fever. It's NOT all about the tires.
Pratice, yeah. Wish I had thught of that when my father caught me "practicing" with his pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine