Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:44 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 544 View Post
Definitly look for alternative heat, one time Expense for stove, wood may be free if you live rural. Keep the oil burner from kicking on. 200 for food for 2? that is low. I would go 350 on that.
I expect a one time expense of $1800 for a new wood stove and another $500 for an insulated stainles steel chimney liner for my inside chimney. I will need the liner because I will also have an aluminum propane exhaust going through it, and additionally for safety since the chimeny, while clay lined, goes up through the center of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We burn wood [sometimes woodchips or peat]. Our heat budget is lower than $300/month.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:23 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Thanks for the input.
It is interesting that we've receive several folks now saying that $200 per month would be low for two adults. We average a bit below that here in CA. I wonder if basic groceries are just a little higher there in Maine? On the other hand, we try not to purchase too many pre-packaged type of foods, and prepare as many meals as we can in the kitchen.
The exception is when I go to the grocery store myself, as I'm apt to go wild and buy lots of (more expensive) stuff that would go great if one is, say, sitting down and watching a classic movie; but not exactly healthy meal-type food! PopTarts and peanut-stuffed pretzels come to mind, for example.
Well, it's do-able, it all depends on your frugality. For a while my food budget was $30/month, but I was living extremely cheaply. I just didn't have any more than that and had to make do. I may have swung too far the other way now that I have more income.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, it's do-able, it all depends on your frugality. For a while my food budget was $30/month, but I was living extremely cheaply. I just didn't have any more than that and had to make do. I may have swung too far the other way now that I have more income.
What did you eat for a dollar a day?

Old 08-26-2010, 03:18 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times
Quote:
Thanks for the input.
It is interesting that we've receive several folks now saying that $200 per month would be low for two adults. We average a bit below that here in CA. I wonder if basic groceries are just a little higher there in Maine? On the other hand, we try not to purchase too many pre-packaged type of foods, and prepare as many meals as we can in the kitchen.
The exception is when I go to the grocery store myself, as I'm apt to go wild and buy lots of (more expensive) stuff that would go great if one is, say, sitting down and watching a classic movie; but not exactly healthy meal-type food! PopTarts and peanut-stuffed pretzels come to mind, for example.
If you do cook like that -- and I do -- and visit farmers markets, take advantage of specials, etc, as I do, that is realistic. That is about what we spend.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:41 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
I've put together a basic, monthly budget for Maine using my best-guess estimates. I would really appreciate any real-life input/revisions/corrections/additions/subtractions on these numbers.

These figures assume a couple, no mortgage, two used cars, and a frugal to modest style of living. It also assumes self-employment, hence the included self-employment tax line.
(These are the basics, so it doesn't include a few discretionary line-items)
Thanks in advance for your help with getting a realistic budget put together; please add any line-items I may have not considered!

Monthly Test Budget for Maine

Electricity 130
Trash Pick-Up 20
Home Repair 50
Home Loan 0
Water 25
Heating Oil (annualized monthly ave.) 300
Property Insurance 50
Property Taxes (location-dependent!) 225
Telephone 50
Wireless Phone 35
Cable TV/Internet 60
Auto Insurance 80
Auto Excise Tax 30
Auto Registration 32
Auto Savings/Repair 100
HSA (Health Savings Acct) 100
Medical Insurance 600
Self-Employment Tax 550
Business Insurance 21
Groceries 200
Gasoline 250
Misc. 150

Total Monthly Budget: 3,058
A few questions--

1) Are you near retirement?

2) Can you really eat on $200/month?

3) Car gas varies depending on if you live rural or town

4) pets and vets?

5) entertainment?

6) Why do you need a HSA if you are paying for health insurance?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A few questions--

1) Are you near retirement?

2) Can you really eat on $200/month?

3) Car gas varies depending on if you live rural or town

4) pets and vets?

5) entertainment?

HSA is tax deductable. Rather, pretax, on income. I really appreciate mine.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:45 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
A few questions--

HSA is good for paying deductibles and co-pays, buying medical-related products that aren't covered by insurance, etc.

HSA money is pre-tax and reduces your gross income. Depending on what your gross income is, and what other deductions you have, and your tax bracket, the additional deduction for the HSA money can drop you into a lower tax bracket and the savings on taxes may offset substantially the amount of taxes you would have paid if you *didn't* have the deduction.

Properly structured/funded you will save money as medical expenses that you would have paid out-of-pocket you instead pay out of the flex account, *and* you pay less income tax. It's almost like "free" money. (It isn't really free, it was yours, the difference is that you are spending it on yourself instead of letting it disappear into the black hole of the gov't.)

Old 08-27-2010, 06:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
HSA is good for paying deductibles and co-pays, buying medical-related products that aren't covered by insurance, etc.

HSA money is pre-tax and reduces your gross income. Depending on what your gross income is, and what other deductions you have, and your tax bracket, the additional deduction for the HSA money can drop you into a lower tax bracket and the savings on taxes may offset substantially the amount of taxes you would have paid if you *didn't* have the deduction.

Properly structured/funded you will save money as medical expenses that you would have paid out-of-pocket you instead pay out of the flex account, *and* you pay less income tax. It's almost like "free" money. (It isn't really free, it was yours, the difference is that you are spending it on yourself instead of letting it disappear into the black hole of the gov't.)
That's exactly what I like about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: