Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:30 AM

581 posts, read 712,662 times

Advertisements

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Fraser to lay off 135 in Madawaska
Fraser Papers' decision to shut down three of its paper machines at its Madawaska paper mill as part of a cost-savings effort is expected to affect 135 workers.

Fraser, based in Toronto, in early June closed its groundwood coating line at the mill, and over the next two months plans to shut down the mill's two oldest paper machines and transfer production to six remaining machines, the company said in a press release. The shutdowns will cost an estimated 135 workers their jobs at the Madawaska mill, which employs 825 workers.

Fraser officials said they are working with union and government agencies to help the workers, some of whom will be eligible for early retirement packages.

The changes in Madawaska, as well as a $10 million boiler overhaul at its mill in Edmundston, N.B., will help the company reduce fossil fuel purchases and save $14 million a year, the press release said.

Manufacturing jobs coming to Baileyville
A Florida company that manufactures insulated panels for commercial and residential buildings said it will open a plant in Baileyville that will employ 75 workers.

Eustis, Fla.-based Insulated Component Structures Inc. will build the new 57,000-square-foot facility in the town’s 130-acre industrial park with plans to be operational by the end of the year, according to the Bangor Daily News. The company says it chose Maine to be closer to its Northeast and Canadian customers, the paper said.

Baileyville Town Manager Scott Harriman welcomed the news. “Anytime you can create 75 jobs in Washington County, it is definitely a positive in this economy,” Harriman told the Daily News.

Strong job outlook for southern Maine
Portland is expected to see a big influx of jobs this summer, according to a new survey by staffing firm Manpower.

Milwaukee-based Manpower recently released its employment outlook for the three months through September, and 48% of Portland companies said they expect to hire more employees during that period. That's better than the 29% of companies surveyed nationally who expect to hire more workers, and an increase from the previous three months, when 43% of companies in Portland said they'd add employees.

But while Portland was a particularly bright spot of Manpower's Maine survey, 69% of employers in the Augusta/Waterville market and 57% in Bangor expect to make no change in staffing levels this summer.

source: Mainebiz Daily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 08:16 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Things change, some folks get hired while some folks are laid off.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Quote:
Manufacturing jobs coming to Baileyville
A Florida company that manufactures insulated panels for commercial and residential buildings said it will open a plant in Baileyville that will employ 75 workers.
One hundred people were laid off without a return to work date at the paper mill this week. Seventy-five new jobs is great news for us! The industrial park seems to be coming along nicely.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Is the American Dream dead?

Reading discussions like this (and this isn't the first I've had), one thing that always strikes me is our mentality today that in order to have a strong economy, we need a business or an industry to move in and provide jobs. What happened to the American Dream of making your own job, being your own boss, lord of your own domain? Is that even possible in today's modern era of multi-national corporations, NAFTA, etc.?

And I'm not wagging my finger at anyone. Please don't take it that way. I'm honestly asking the question: Why are we always looking for someone to come in and provide jobs? Why not make our own? Is that even possible any more?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:31 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

Reading discussions like this (and this isn't the first I've had), one thing that always strikes me is our mentality today that in order to have a strong economy, we need a business or an industry to move in and provide jobs. What happened to the American Dream of making your own job, being your own boss, lord of your own domain? Is that even possible in today's modern era of multi-national corporations, NAFTA, etc.?

And I'm not wagging my finger at anyone. Please don't take it that way. I'm honestly asking the question: Why are we always looking for someone to come in and provide jobs? Why not make our own? Is that even possible any more?
Taking what you said into consideration not all people have the "skills" to run their own business. Some manufacturing is needed for a strong economy. My opinion is Maine gov. structuring makes it difficult for major industry to thrive. I have lived on the Texas Gulf coast where government gives huge tax abatements to attract industry. Right now 70 miles from , encouraged by huge tax breaks, Valero Refining is investing $3+BILLION in a new hydrocarbon cracking unit (makes gasoline and other fuels).

Could you see this happening in Maine? Granted Maine will maintain its pristine rep but the overall economy suffers. My point is governments, at the behest of the people(?), stifle meaningful growth ... period.

This is just an observation from one who has lived in both places. And the area I live in is a wooded paradise like much of Maine. In fact the local timber industry is extremely robust. But to be honest, the paper industry is suffering all over.

I would love to come back to Maine for several reasons, I just don't know if I want to make the financial sacrifices yet. I would have a job as would my wife as we are both RN's with mx years critical experience but it is the cost of living and the tax burdens that prohibit us.

Maine, with its people of indomitable spirit, could flourish with more government encouragement and less government burden on its economy! Of course, with myself being a strict constitutionalist and rabid capitalist this is JMHO! See y'all in mid-July!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Quote:

It's alive and well in this part of Maine. I've been a small business owner for 13 years. My business is in the process of chang now and will grow enough to add another employee.

There's a lot of work in owning even a small business. It's not something many people want to do. I do hope small businesses are something most people support.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Maine, with its people of indomitable spirit, could flourish with more government encouragement and less government burden on its economy! Of course, with myself being a strict constitutionalist and rabid capitalist this is JMHO! See y'all in mid-July!
I dunno. If the solution to Maine's economic problems is to give subsidies and tax breaks to big business and loosen environmental regulation, then let Texas have it. Surely there's got to be a bette way.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:23 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Quote:
I dunno. If the solution to Maine's economic problems is to give subsidies and tax breaks to big business and loosen environmental regulation, then let Texas have it. Surely there's got to be a bette way.

You speak like these are bad things, especially the tax breaks to big business. Big business is jobs ... period! And that is what we are basically talking about ... high paying, benefit laced jobs. With these come more tax revenue without higher taxes. Big business is not the boogeyman!

The environmental thing is an add-on by you. I would be willing to bet that the mills(pulpwood/paper) in Texas and in Maine are pretty equally regulated. This is the only true parallell I could draw as Maine has no petrochemical industry that I know of. Environmental controls and technologies to prevent environmental poisoning is available and would be utilized on amy new industry. Maine would benefit by recruiting industry to the state and offering incentives. Lord knows they have a high quality workforce to draw from!

I appreciate your mindset. But, I assert that Maine could have more industry and maintain its state values of a clean environment.

Bob

Old 06-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
You speak like these are bad things, especially the tax breaks to big business.
Depends on what you mean. I do think many taxes are too high. But I do like things like a well-paid, well-trained police force, teachers, firemen, well-maintained roads, clean water, clean air, and none of that is free. Taxes pay for those services -- services which I want to keep!

So I do think business needs to pay its fair share. Business (be it big or small) benefits from government services. It’s only fair that they help to pay for it.

Is business paying more than a “fair” share in Maine? I don’t know honestly. I’d sure be interested in hearing Maine business-owners’ views on the subject.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:38 AM

581 posts, read 712,662 times
Default Law irks non-union state workers

A new law meant to end the dispute between non-union state workers and the state workers’ union has gotten a cool reception from those workers.

The law, which goes into effect in September, protects state workers from being fired if they refuse to pay union dues or join the 12,000-member Maine State Employees Association, according to Blethen Maine News Service.

But the law also allows the state to take union dues out of non-union workers’ paychecks without their permission, a development that has irked some of those state employees who chose not to be in the union because they don’t support its partisan agenda, Blethen reported. But union officials say the money only covers the costs of contract negotiations, the results of which affect even non-union workers.
source: Mainebiz Daily
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine